Neil Young's weakest album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Feb 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Everybody’s Rockin’ is not actually all that bad, but it’s barely longer than an EP and the cover art is terrible (cover art should be considered a factor, I’d say).

2. czyhorse75

czyhorse75 Forum Resident

For me the weakest album seems to change over time. I used to cringe at his 80s albums, but now like (almost) all of them (still can't get into Everybody's Rockin'). Are you Passionate seems to catch a lot of flack, but that is one of the better albums in the aughts for me. Even CSNY American Dream has gradually revealed itself to be a very listenable album once you get past the trendy production style at the time. His collaboration with Promise of the Real I think helped give him a shot in the arm and his albums from this period seemed to have more vigor. I was able to attend one of his last concert performances in 2019 with POTR and it was the best NY concert I have seen.

Boswell likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The ones that I listened to and didn't feel like buying:

Trans
    Everybody's Rockin'
    Landing On Water
    Life
    Broken Arrow
    Are You Passionate
    Greendale
    Living With War
    Chrome Dreams II
    Storytone
    The Monsato Years
    Earth
    Peace Trail
    The Visitor
    Paradox
    Colorado

I couldn't tell you which is the worst of those.

DTK likes this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Out of those I would say Broken Arrow and Chrome Dreams 2 deserve another chance. The others can safely be overlooked although parts of Landing On Water and Life are rockin' quite hard.

5. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I agree with DTK and would even go so far as to say Broken Arrow is essential. But otherwise that list is pretty spot on.

DTK likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no 'a letter home"?

7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Too many but to be fair he released about 10 solid albums which put him in the upper group of musicians

8. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

In my case, "Re-ac-tor" was an album that grew on me with time. "T-Bone" is the most meh track, but once you get over it you can appreciate good songs like "Shots", "Rapid Transit" and "Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze". The instrumentals are pretty great for a guitar-oriented album.

"Trans" also grows on you. I wouldn't say I consider it a good or great album, it's appreciable at least.

Doomster likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I listened to it once and quite enjoyed it! I must give it another spin.

purple-lazy likes this.
  10. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

This thread is still a thing? :sigh:

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a whole lot to talk about since 2000.

AveryKG likes this.
  12. czyhorse75

Anyone think that since Briggs died, Neil has needed someone to reign him in? Look at Colorado....did we really need 13 minutes of "She Showed me Love"? I get the capture the moment vibe, but some songs could use some edits, and it seems with Neil you get a half baked product anymore. I still think he makes good music, but diminished with no one to balance some of his ideas.

a customer, Boswell and apb like this.
  13. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I couldn’t get through Colorado, it was just one big long bummer

Boswell likes this.
  14. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

On the two extreme song lengths which I recall from his discography (thinking Driftin Back and Ordinary People, both of which I rate very highly, but only need ten minutes of, given that whilst the song keeps going, it does not evolve particularly), I would agree.

However, I think keeping those songs that length was itself some kind of artistic statement by Neil.

15. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Me too. I like it and most of Life too. Whereas Chrome Dreams II which I bought during lockdown is not for me. I'm also giving Old Ways more listens now than I did back in the eighties. Each to his own.

CHALKERS likes this.
  16. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

Ordinary People is an amazing song but yeah I agree, the rest of Chrome Dreams II is forgettable.

17. Can't understand why so many people seem to dislike Living With War, that's one of the strongest things he's ever put out and at a time when few major artists seemed to be saying what needed to be said about the geopolitical situation.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  18. czyhorse75

I remember liking it when it first came out, but I don't think the songs have aged well. The Let's Impeach song was laughingly bad. :)

19. It's a bit of a preachy album in places but song writing wise is very strong I think.

20. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

One above all.........Trans............he should never have even got close to ever writing that junk :):)

21. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Yes I was there! 86 tour Wow that was a wild show Neil was like they just let him out of a cage. He was really into it. One of my best top 5 shows ever.

22. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Neil's way of recording is he tapes the run- through of the song when he's teaching the band the song! And thats the take that goes on the record it's a great way to record because you get the feel 100%... the downside is he releases almost everything! So he's bound to have some mediocre albums. It's like he dosent shake the tree to remove the bad apples we have to buy the whole tree .

23. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Yes and no. As much as "She Showed Me Love" is overblown, it's really great for the first three or four minutes so I just fade it out after a while and move on to the songs I really dig on that record including all of side two. Neil Young has given us so much great music over the years, I think he can do anything he damn well pleases and I'm not going to gripe about it. That's why I don't see much validity in this thread. We're going to come here and have a thread where we disparage one of our greatest song writers/ musicians? I just don't see it.

(And I'm sorry, I don't mean this to sound like a personal attack. I respect your opinion. This is just how I feel about it.)

24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Both 86 and 87 tours were pretty wild. I’m hoping that we get more of this from the Archives.

I had the HBO Rusted Out Garage on cassette and really liked the Life songs. A lot. Then he somehow ruined them on Life the album.

Lexhibit likes this.
  25. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Yeah life was so dissapointing they played long walk home on the radio a lot though Neil was in his digital recording stage then he went back to rough and ready a few years later I'll never forget that 86 tour though so much energy the while arena was rocking . He was a manic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.