Neil Young—Way Down in the Rust Bucket

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ExHead, Jan 13, 2021.

1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Will be interesting if you receive it on that date, I noticed the same thing on the current order page. I don't trust them now, so I took my business elsewhere and saved ten bucks and it's on the way.

2. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I have followed this thread from the beginning but don't recall a definitive answer for the recording of this material; what will the vinyl set be mastered from? He is usually very transparent on his recent issues, stating whether analog tape or digital recording. Anyone have the box set or the answer to this one? Much appreciated...

3. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Pretty sure this is digital as it’s a remote recording in a club back in 1990.

jgrillo likes this.
  4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

great points.

rust never sleeps wasn't billed as a live album though, so the quick fades make sense. the crossfades on return to greendale are insanely bad. that album should play like a continuous work. i think a live album should be made to play similarly to how it was recorded. if you're going to remove banter and stories, fine, but keep the audience ambiance intact between the songs.

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I don’t disagree. It might be a good question for NYA Letters section. As it stands, I’m guessing that vinyl time constraints and inconsistent crowd ambience with edited cross fades resulted in what we are getting.

There are examples of Poncho telegraphing songs with a little bit of practice on tunes like Over and Over and Days That Used To Be. I’m glad that is gone at least.

ET3311 likes this.
  6. WJA

WJA Forum Resident

Just finished it, incredible stuff. The whole show is incredible but the last 30 minutes or so (the last 3 songs) was just different level, oh and Cowgirl. Damn what a show and what a time to be a fan!

7. WJA

WJA Forum Resident

Forgot to mention, was watching the video, incredible stuff. Will pick up the vinyl at some point.

SteveFff likes this.
  8. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the Young Shakespeare Deluxe set from Neil’s store with free shipping and the high res downloads. The price was the same as elsewhere at the time. I ordered the Rust Bucket Deluxe set from Amazon as I have a credit card tied to my Amazon Prime account which gives me discounts via points for purchases. I’d built up enough to essentially get the Rust Bucket set using those points. Amazon says the Rust Bucket set will be delivered on Friday the 26th.

9. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

I caved and ordered the individual DVD for Rust Bucket as well as the DVD and CD for Young Shakespeare....I was going to hold off on the DVDs over PQ/AQ quality concerns but.......I can't help myself.

10. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Am I missing something or is the Greedy Hand site down? It won't let me place an order - I keep getting a message to change my billing address but
    I cannot find an area that lets me go to my account and do that. The only available option for check out is as a guest. I emailed them to let them know
    what is going on but I thought someone on this site might know what's going on. Is there a place to log in? I can't find it.

11. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me. I tried a different browser and it worked.

The Big Guy likes this.
  12. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Thanks! I did the same and it worked.

13. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I saw that they got 3 copies of the vinyl box set in my Local IRS today, I got one of them ear~marked for me for Friday! Looks very cool. Hope it don't cost too much!

Also, picked up The Times on vinyl today too, and spun it tonight.

14. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Just did some A/B listening between the video on Screen 3 and the Audio in the timeline. The video is for sure the temporary mix, it sounds very muddy compared to the official album. Now I hope / would assume that the same mix that went on the CD's was used for the DVD. Otherwise I'd feel pretty duped. VHS quality picture I can deal with, adds to the feel, but that muddy sound is inexcusable.

As for the in between song banter, that works better if you're watching a concert, cause you got something to look at, it adds a lot to the general experience, but for a CD or LP, it disrupts the flow a bit. Had they not edited out 15 minutes of banter (+ Cowgirl) it would not have fit unto 2 CDs or 4 LPs. They could have left a little more banter in on the CD version (as there is about 6 minutes running time left), but that would have made it different from the LP version. It's a shame they didn't record all of Cowgirl, cause that's one awesome version. I'm glad to have it on DVD, warts and all, but putting it on the CD and LP would have been too jarring, as I said before. I think, had there been a full recording of CITS, then they would have left the banter in as well, but a sit stands, a full extra disc, just for the banter, that's wouldn't have made sense.

Anybody spotted the additional Ferris Wheel Lyrics for Surfer Joe? :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Billy_Sunday and Biscuit1970 like this.
  15. JackAbsolut

JackAbsolut Forum Resident

If I recall correctly they had a recording truck outside the venue recording to tape.

If you look closely at Discogs, you see the info „SOURCE: Mastered from the original analog tape“ over the barcode of the LP.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  16. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I'm probably going to be proven wrong in a minute, but didn't Hanlon say he transferred the DATs to Analog and maybe mixed/mastered from there?

After my disappointment with the sound from the video yesterday, I'm now listening to it via Xtream. World Of Difference. It's like a whole other show. Essential NYCH release this. The only minor point of critique is the harmony singing on Bite The Bullet, that would have been better left to Ralph and Billy rather than Poncho and Billy.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just had my vinyl delivered from the Greedy Hand U.K. store. Fingers crossed they come through on the download tomorrow

dockofthebay likes this.
  18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

So the dvd has all the crowd banter and chat and doesn’t fade after each song?

That’s my only real issue with the album - no atmosphere between songs. I can understand why it was done to some extent, but I’m sure a bit of cheering between songs could have been left in, to create the feeling of a full gig. I’ll have to get hold of the dvd at some point to rip the audio, as I prefer gigs that flow properly, chat and all.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Just when i think there is no point in getting the vinyl for this release... a post like this. Initially i thought the whole thing was recorded 16-44. Anybody who hears the vinyl and can compare to digital...I’d greatly appreciate.

Iving likes this.
  20. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Ugh, same. I had the vinyl pre-ordered but between the cost, dwindling space issues, and my sometimes reluctance to enjoy flipping over records while listening to a concert I had second thoughts and cancelled yesterday. I ordered the CD instead and it shipped last night. So of course the vinyl is going to sound amazing now.

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I keep going back and forth...

22. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Well, the video on Screen 3 of Hearse Theatre has all the crowd banter. I would assume that the DVD is the same (RTG video also had in between song banter, whereas the CDs did not). I have not yet seen the DVD, only the video on Screen 3, so I can't confirm with 100 certainty. One other open item / worry is what audio track they used on the DVD. The mix in the screen 3 video is still the rough mix, which sounds very muddy.

Since my DVD won't be arriving until June, someone who bought the Deluxe package will have to confirm the sound on the DVD.

richard a and heepsterandrey like this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I just got a confirmation email that my deluxe box is arriving tomorrow from Amazon.

Schmeig and scotti like this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

figures. i cancelled my amazon order and ordered from popmarket. it will be here next thursday. in the meantime i could have just gone to a local record store tomorrow and picked it up.

oh well. i've been listening to this show for almost 30 years, so i can wait another week for the upgrade.

ARK and scotti like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I would rather not wait myself. My deluxe vinyl set just arrived at my local store and I am off to go pick it up. Stereo warming up and will be cranking this bad boy up later this afternoon along with few cold beverages and a nice hang on the Bob Marley caboose. It's mid 70's here today and about as beautiful as it could be.