Neil Young—Way Down in the Rust Bucket

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ExHead, Jan 13, 2021.

1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

One of his strings goes badly out of tune during the last verse: so either Neil edited out a badly out-of-tune guitar solo, or he cut the song short during the performance.

Presumably they chose this version specifically because it was short enough to fit on the record. But the Cow Palace version is from a different class.

2. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Thanks. That is good info. I appreciate you passing it on.

sirwallacerock likes this.
  3. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Thanks for the rundown Mr. Pineapple,
    I will pay close attention when I get my CD in the mail. I'm especially interested to see if I agree with you about Cowgirl. I was listening to the Weld version of Cortez the other day and was thinking that the vocal was a little stresssed out by the aggresiveness of the other songs, and was anticipating that the more boozy vibe of Rust Bucket might benefit that song. At the moment the Odeon Budokan version if my favourite, even though it's also the shortest.

4. RoyalPineapple

...can't go wrong with the '76 Cortezs!

Though I haven't listened to Odeon-Budokan yet (yes, I know: outrageous).

It was a different era and a different sound. I like what Neil told Jimmy McDonough in the mid-nineties:

"(Like A Hurricane) isn't as pure and innocent as it used to be...because I'm not as pure and innocent as I used to be".

And I think the same is true of Cortez in the 70s. More innocent.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Billy_Sunday and Syscrusher like this.
  5. street legal

street legal Senior Member

“Cowgirl” is not on the CD set, just the DVD.

6. RoyalPineapple

Good point - it might as well be made officially available.

Otherwise people will be forced to track down the extremely hard to find rip of the 2020 stereo version (which will result in the FBI jailing them for 2 weeks for music piracy and conspiracy).

frightwigwam likes this.
  7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The Odeon Budokan and Rust Bucket Cortez are both glorious in their own way. The Rust Bucket version has some pretty amazing bass playing from Billy and the harmonies are spot on. I also like the way the band hints at going over the top at the end, but they pull back to make this just about perfect (my ‘complaints’ about both Cortez and LAH on Weld is that lose their beauty by a long stretch towards the end. I like it when the Horse at least implies subtlety.

The Odeon Budokan version is simply psychedelic. Amazing.

frightwigwam and Syscrusher like this.
  8. RoyalPineapple

You need to MAN UP for the '91 stuff - if 1976 is a (royal) Piña colada, then '91 is a double shot of whiskey on the rocks.

(I'm looking forward to the Odeon-Budokan album: too busy writing about music to actually listen to any :D).

Paul Gase likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Weld “Cortez” is canon.

ARK, Wild Frank, ExHead and 3 others like this.
  10. Paul Gase

I attended a show in 1991. I own the Weld VHS and have played the record a thousand times. I made an extended edit of Weld’s Love and Only Love with some of the ARC LAOL fragments. Wish I could find it.

I’ve manned up plenty for 1991 NYCH. I am appreciating a different view through the prism in my older age.

bonus, Kevin j and superstar19 like this.
  11. RoyalPineapple

;) :righton:

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

So, I started playing the box set last night again, and for some reason played Disc 4 ("Like a Hurricane", "Love and Only Love" and "Cortez the Killer" like 4 times in a row. I think it just sounds great.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the 4 LP album on Amazon Thursday for $8 less than Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, etc. It was received 2 days later, in perfect condition. Free shipping with Prime. Didn't have to wait 3-4 days for it to ship and another week for Fed X. Didn't have to buy $99 of vinyl to get free shipping. Not bad.

This album does sound very good.

I attended the April 1991 show in Phoenix during the tour right after this was recorded (the Weld tour). It was supposed to be held in March but Neil got sick and it was postponed to April. $21 a ticket - around 20 rows back a bit to the left of center stage. Great show of course. However, I think the Rust Never Sleeps show I attended at Boston Garden in 1978 was better. I like the acoustic/hard rock blend better than the all out rock. And the visuals of the RNS shows were unique.

But this is certainly a great album.

superstar19 likes this.
  14. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Cortez is always too short. I dream a 74 minutes Cortez.

Dai, savemenow, ARK and 7 others like this.
  15. RoyalPineapple

Was the Ragged Glory/Weld tour Neil's first full-length tour with no acoustic tracks?

I think so. Or am I forgetting some?

Syscrusher likes this.
  16. Paul Gase

I’ve heard some less inspired NYCH live versions of Cortez that seem like 74 minutes.

As much as I love both Rust Bucket and Odeon Budokan versions of Cortez, I think I’ll always be partial to the Zuma version. It gets many points for vibe, tone, and space, i.e., minimalist NYCH. Gorgeous.

17. RoyalPineapple

Cortez The Killer - Pittsburgh - 17th February 1991

(Up to over 2.3 million views; and only half of them by me.)

Some of Neil's most eloquent lead guitar playing, here. Years of touring had sharpened his skills into full-blown Guitar-God status.

Notice how Poncho is playing (quite beautifully) what seems to be a Gretsch hollow-body, instead of his usual Gold Top Les Paul.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  18. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

19. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Ah yes, thanks. I forgot that. I guess that means it’s not on the website either. Darn, I figured with the videos all on NYA I could pass on the DVD. I still won’t get it but...

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Objectively, doesn't that make you the ideal customer to subscribe to NYA?

21. Completely disagree. Year Of The Horse is probably one of the best things NY has ever released, certainly the best thing he's done with Crazy Horse. Very underrated album which has a really deep spiritual vibe going on. The version of Danger Bird there is the highlight of the whole record.

I have acquired Rust Bucket but not put it on yet. Will do so and see what I think.

Gabba Gabba, GregK and bonus like this.
  22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I worked all day and came home tonight to find the deluxe box on my kitchen counter. I haven’t had a chance to so much as even open it but it looks impressive none the less.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

You’re living my future! It will be waiting for me when I get home from work, although I won’t have a chance to spin it until Thursday.

sonofjim likes this.
  24. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Well, it is all one song, after all.

Cosmic_Equilibrium and m3kcomp like this.
  25. Paul Gase

Often quoted, that one.

I’ve seen NYCH in 1978, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2012 and 2018. And I felt like 96/97 shows felt like one long song. Just a mush of sluggish tempo, sometimes uninspired rock and roll. Dull.

But the 1987 US Life Tour is the hidden gem. A well oiled band, past the point of caring, but playing lights out.

Billy_Sunday, EwaWoowa and ExHead like this.