Netflix Cancels JESSICA JONES and PUNISHER

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes,me too,the second time felt like a repetition of the first season and became kind of predictable and boring.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think marvel will have burnout in five years.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Jessica Jones ? wouldn’t mind a fourth series.
    Ha! Aaron Paul appearance would be novel.

4. alexpop

Actors will.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

only if allergic to money and they aren't

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

93curr likes this.
  8. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Disagree. I thought it was very well done.

apesfan and mace like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

every single one of these netflix marvel shows suffered from way too many episodes with too little story. it made them seem like "store brand" marvel.

perhaps we need to just accept the fact that the punisher isn't meant to be either on the small or large screen. shane did a good job though!

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. mace

mace Forum Resident

Hate to see The Punisher go, but Daredevil was the writing on the wall.
    Pretty much no reason to keep hanging on to Netflix at this point.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. I wish all of the shows remained on, however I do agree that a tight 8 episode season for each would improve things.

ShawnMcCann and budwhite like this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As far as the comics-influenced movie/TV making industry's concerned, there's ZERO chance of this trend ending. You kidding, its practically the only surefire way of making a profit! As far as the actors are concerned, WHY do you think there's SO many a-list actors involved in super-heroics? Obviously, the money! Every time one of them lands a contract, it's like hitting the Lottery! And when you start talking franchises, THAT'S the true gravy train! There an oft-repeated theory about how the actual physical comic book industry is on life support, but that the majors (DC & Marvel) are keeping it alive solely for the purposes of movie/TV making. Makes this ol skool comic geek kinda sad!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Vidiot

I liked several of the series, but I agree with you: a whole lotta padding. They basically had 8 episodes of plot spread out over 12 shows.

15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Which, as I pointed out in another thread about these shows, makes absolutely no sense for the platform they're on. It's not like a network show, where there's an incentive to stretch things out over a longer season and generate more ad revenue. Netflix dumps everything at once, and sells no advertising. It seems they would have saved themselves some money in production to make the seasons shorter. I seriously doubt the audience would have complained. I, for one, would have been grateful to not have to sit through so much padding.

vegafleet, budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I read that they were contractually required to produce 12 or 13 episodes per season.

Vidiot and GentleSenator like this.
  17. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

People have been saying this same thing since the second iron man movie.

davenav likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

they should have been contractually obligated to also hire writers that could handle that many episodes!

Deesky likes this.
  19. Vidiot

I'm baffled by the padding as well. Too many B- and C- stories going on, when the main A story kind of gets lost in the shuffle. There were entire episodes of Daredevil where the title character was barely in the show. In that case, I think the supporting characters (like Kingpin) were good enough that they could carry the story well, but Punisher season 2 was plagued by dull spots. Like I said before: 8 solid hours of real story, spread out over 12 shows.

budwhite, Deesky and GentleSenator like this.
  20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Marvel's the one actually producing the shows, Netflix was just distributing them. I should have been more clear, Marvel should have pruned them down to 8-episode seasons. I'm sure Netflix would have taken whatever was handed to them. It didn't really benefit Marvel or Netflex to stretch them out.

Vidiot and budwhite like this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I haven't seen it, but I thought that the second season of Jessica Jones was really disappointing, full of shocking twists and turns aimed at artificially amping up the drama at the expense of believable character/plot development. None of these Netflix/Marvel shows was terribly consistent after getting off to promising starts.

So have we finally passed the point of peak TV output? There are so many interesting options available on the various different platforms, but is there enough of an audience for all of them? Does the financial model even work anymore without advertising? I haven't even checked out any of the stuff that's come out on Amazon Prime, but it sounds like they're sinking a healthy chunk of money into some expensive properties. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next few years. . .

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Vidiot

I think season 2 of Punisher was good, but not great. I had a similar reaction to season 2 of Jessica Jones.

BTW, I can say that I spoke to an insider who works on the Marvel TV shows (most of them), and he said they were absolutely caught by surprise with the Netflix move and had no idea this was coming. And Marvel is very upset about it.

I agree 100%. I don't get the padding. The popular British series -- which is sort of the model for what streaming has become -- don't drag out the plots this badly. They do 8 or 10 or 12 episodes, and that's it for the season... and it works pretty well.

budwhite likes this.
  23. alexpop

I have a problem with DC/Marvel budget constraints. Not enough Shebam! Pow! Whizz! which is definitely lacking in the CGI department. At least give JJ a costume, skanky look was endearing in S1.

24. Vidiot

25. Indeed, they do just the right amount of episodes in the UK for most of their shows to develop and resolve their stories. Very few of them have fat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.