Netflix Cancels JESSICA JONES and PUNISHER

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You can do what I do. I skip episodes that bore me. Honestly, though, any series has the potential to be good or bad. There's no way to find out until you watch the show. There are plenty of series that have good, bad and indifferent seasons and episodes. There's no guarantee.

If an a couple of episodes or handful aren't great that doesn't guarantee that the end might not be (the opposite is true as well meaning if the middle episodes are great it won't guarantee a great ending). If I stick with a show (which I usually do unless it turns amazingly bad) and there are episodes that were less than perfect, I will bail on those and just read a summary.

I meant season three from season two either that or it was the version from the alternate universe.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. I could be wrong but I believe that Marvel/Disney owns the home video rights. It has less to do with Netflix and more to do with Disney.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What, you think Brian Michael Bendis has an extra :30 in his day to write a whole season of something...?

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Maybe, but they all come out labeled "Netflix."

wayneklein likes this.
  5. It's possible certainly that Netflix owns the licensing rights to the series including home video for now. They don't own the series but do have rights to it. It's possible there may be a contract a time frame between streaming and home video. I don't know for sure. It would be nice to get season two and three.

6. Dillydipper

Now that Disney and Netflix are on the cusp of competing directly for household streaming eyeballs, I see a lot of burned bridges and p*cker contests in their future. Having nothing to do with quality of programming or servicing the viewer, just two behemoths preening and bristling at one another.

melstapler and GodShifter like this.
  7. .
    Great article from the A.V. Club thst touches on both the flaws and strengths.

https://www.avclub.com/what-kept-netflixs-marvel-superheroes-from-really-being-1835658595

I don’t know, I think they may-just may have enough insight as to the strengths and weakness of the shows.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I was told that Netflix has 2 more years in their overall deal with Marvel, and Marvel cannot take the shows elsewhere during that period. What could possibly happen is the characters could be "guest stars" in somebody else's show -- the way Marvel was able to use The Hulk as part of The Avengers, but not in a standalone film (because The Hulk is technically owned by Universal) -- but I don't know what their plans are. I have heard a rumor that they're exploring the idea of bringing X-Men back but as a high-budget TV show rather than a movie. I wonder if maybe that would also be a good idea for Fantastic Four, given how much that got screwed up as films over the last 15 years.

melstapler and wayneklein like this.
  9. I also think that both would lend themselves better to TV shows with longer narrative arcs provided they don’t have filler episodes like the Netflix shows.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Can you tie up half the pool of available television actors with commitments to large-ensemble super-hero teams...and then half the pool of available film actors with constantly-in-development MCU movie franchises as well? Will Disney eventually have exclusive rights to every high-profile actor in Hollywood save for Tom Selleck, Kelsey Grammer and David Spade?

melstapler likes this.
  11. Vidiot

SAG-AFTRA currently has 160,000 members, and the Writers Guild has 20,000 members. I would bet there's more than enough writers to come up with unique ideas, and more than enough talented actors to bring those ideas to life without endlessly repeating the same ones over and over again.

12. Dillydipper

Oh, we don't want ALL of them...just the ones every other producer in town wants...!

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Gonna miss these shows.

14. No great loss regarding Jessica Jones. Terrible writing and pacing really hobbles this show. I couldn't finish Season 3.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I really liked Jessica Jones Season 3. It does not slam the door on future stories, but it also does not feel incomplete in the likely event that this is the last episode we will see. The last episode featured a conflict that was both inevitable and not totally obvious which is a sign of a good showrunner. Big improvement over season two.

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Just finished Episode 9 of Season 3 so far. Definitely an improvement over S2 though I thought that Season was pretty decent too. Now, how after all this time did I not recognise Rebecca de Mornay as Trish's mother?!

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Does the so called Brockert Initiative* not apply to film companies? Or does this skirt that ruling somehow?

*The Brockert Initiative was a court ruling stating that a record company cannot block release of new material by an artist under contract.

18. Vidiot

I think film contracts are completely different. "We want X number of shows; once the shows are done, we're under no imperative to order more." It's not like Netflix is sitting on unfinished Marvel shows that are in the can on a shelf.

melstapler likes this.
  19. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I enjoyed Daredevil a lot, watching Luke Cage right now and I've heard that Jessica Jones is good. I've been catching up by watching the DVDs of these series over the summer.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Jessica Jones was good. The first season was really great, and Season 2 less so. One character annoyed me so much that I've yet to bring myself to watch Season 3.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Same here. I wonder if we're thinking of the same one?

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'd give 'Jessica Jones' an A+, 'Daredevil' an A-, Luke Cage' a B, 'The Defenders' a B- and 'Iron Fist' a D. I still haven't gotten around to watching 'Punisher.'

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That character was Jessica, wasn't it? :laugh:

24. Strummergas

Who else could it be?

25. Strummergas

No, Jessica is great!

93curr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.