Netflix Raising Prices

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Interesting that the reason given is the original content. The only Netflix original I watch is Stranger Things. I mostly use Netflix to stream shows no longer on the air like Frasier and Parks and Recreation.

I can see myself cancelling our subscription within the next year or two. I really barely watch television anyway and I never use Netflix for films anymore, as they just don't have anything I want to see.

3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I cut them loose at the end of our billing period last month.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It was raised in Canada late last year...you guys are just catching up to their price hikes.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's how they 'get ya'!

6. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Kind of too soon to raise the price since they I believe they raised it just around 2 years ago. Anyhow, I wish they brought back the thumbs up and down option because their movie recommendation based on your taste isnt working out for me. 75% of the time the movies they recommend to me were a waste of my evening.

robertawillisjr and Ghostworld like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would like to see a service that would let me watch all the movies I was interested in, without financing bankrolling television shows that could just as easily be found on FX.

I wonder if anybody offers such a product...

(Then again, I wish I could attend a comic convention in the San Diego area, whose focus was on, say, comics...)

8. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Didn't they have that service few years back where you can rent and receive dvds by mail but have no streaming service for a fixed fee?

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just dropped Netflix AND Amazon Prime last week, that's basically $25 bucks a month!

Frederick Mars and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Imho Netflix has tons of good original series now and most better than the networks so I’m ok with paying.

But AMC, FX BBC and a few other cable networks are right up there with them.

11. Still worth it to me. Right now. May change soon.

I'm watching it less & less as I've binged on what I wanted already. I don't know if I've watched any of their "Original Programming", so......

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Good; then you get my point. It's not like somebody who doesn't want to ignore their original customers to focus on teevee watchers, couldn't do that as well.

13. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I think they have gone to quantity over quality with all their "original" programing. A lot of it is just shows from other countries that have never been shown in the US. I just cancelled my membership. :wave:

Len-ski likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Every year for the last six years I’ve gotten up logged into the comicon website trying to get tickets and stayed on the line for two hours until the lottery closed. How the hell do people get tickets to this thing?

15. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Gots to pay for the bird box sequel.

GentleSenator, MikeInFla and Mazzy like this.
  16. townsend

I am on the 2 DVD per month plan, and have been a long time. I think my rate of 5.99 + tax was grandfathered in. I am afraid to do anything with it (I think my plan is now 7.99 per month).

I was thinking of trying streaming, and they usually give you one month free to check it out. Well, if you have the DVD plan only, then you don't get a month free.:realmad:

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Isnt the reason for their original programming so they can make more money? Which means they are chargong people more money so they can make more money on top of that.

18. townsend

Same difference? They make more money when they charge more money.

George P: if their new content costs more money, then they are losing money. They make that loss up by charging customers more.

By making their own content, they don't make more money unless 1) they raise prices on existing customers (a positive); 2) persuade existing customers not to pull the plug (which could decrease incoming revenue); 3) recruit new customers (a positive).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't think you understand what I am saying. By making their own content, they make more money and don't have to charge customers more money to subscribe.

Now they are asking for more money to subscribe so that they have enough money to make more money.

Greedflix is more like it.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Free market! Free market! Feee market! Wait my costs will go up? Greed! Greed! Greed

21. townsend

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Of course that is the reason because original programming is Netflix's primary business model. They spend more on original programming than many movie studios - $7-8 billion last year IIRC. And they need to keep doing this as more and more streaming competition enters the market (hello Disney) while pulling thier content from Netflix.

Quantity is important as is a wide diversity of content, including niche content. Netflix is a global service and it strives to appeal to many tastes, genres and demographics. It's why they're the leading global streaming service.

I don't watch every single thing that's on offer, but there is still so much great original content, both in the library and to be produced, that it keeps me interested.

They need to charge more because they're spending more to produce more content. They outspend their nearest competitors two or three times over every year on original content. It's not like they're not investing in more new content and just hiking the prices to make more money.

LivingForever likes this.
  23. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Gotta have my BoJack Horseman, price increase or no.

24. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

If they could give us the original Northern Exposure series, I would gladly give them another dollar per month more than this latest price increase!

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Netflix is wildly overspending right now.

I think I may do the subscribe for a month/cancel for a month plan.

I'd be able to see their original programming plus some other things - but I don't feel the need to watch them every day, or every other day - so long as I can cancel and resubscribe without penalty I may do it.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has been on hiatus for months now.
    BoJack - I can can wait a month to see the new ones.
    Things with no urgency to watch:
    Lady Dynamite
    Glow
    The Kominsky Method
    Disenchnment
    Altered Carbon
    The Toys That Made Us
    Somebody Feed Phil
    Nailed It!
    Parks and Rec and a LOT of other shows are on Hulu and Amazon at the same time as
    Netflix

Look how many new things they have scheduled - things I know very little about - and will likely never watch:
    List of original programs distributed by Netflix - Wikipedia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.