Netflix Rebooting 'Unsolved Mysteries' With Original Producers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Manley, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Defintely interested. And I agree, Robert Stack really made the show in a lot of ways. Dennis Farina, not terrible, but he just couldn’t give it the right gravitas.

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I've also caught some of the episodes on Pluto TV. They have an Unsolved Mysteries channel.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Jason Manley

Interesting. I'm not familiar with Pluto TV. I think I saw on one of the UM boards that the show is now available for streaming free on Vudu (with commercials).

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Do you have a link?

6. Jason Manley

7. MikaelaArsenault

Jason Manley likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

Pluto is an app you can download. I have it on my phone and Amazon Firestick. Rarely watch Pluto on the phone and occasionally watch on TV. It's ok but has weird commercial placement. They just randomly show up in the middle of a sentence and sometimes play the same commercial 3 times in a row.

9. Jason Manley

FYI, the original Unsolved Mysteries episodes (with Robert Stack as host) are now appearing on YouTube via the Unsolved Mysteries/FilmRise channel. So far, they have posted up through Season 9.

Unsolved Mysteries - Full Episodes

10. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I hope they keep the original opening theme music, that was a major part of the show’s vibe. Even if they do it slightly updated, production-wise, I’m fine with that.

11. MikeInFla

12. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Thanks so much! I had no idea they were available on YT! :)

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The first six episodes premiere July 1.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

15. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Same theme, but updated.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Interview With John Cosgrove Co-Creator of 'Unsolved Mysteries,' Show Now Headed to Netflix | Channel Nonfiction (JANUARY 28, 2019)

Some additional info fans of the original (and Stack) might appreciate:

jbmcb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. MikeInFla

Looking forward to this. I understand that Robert Stack can't be replaced, he was awesome on the show. I guess it makes sense not to have a host/narrator but man I miss Robert Stack.

Mr. H and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

I wish that the show had a narrator though.

mr. steak and MikeInFla like this.
  19. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

On the one hand, I hope the show works out, is of high quality, and helps out with the legal cases. The trailer looks a bit dodgy, but that might just be it's rather cookie-cutter style that almost every suspense/thriller style trailer has nowadays.

On the other hand, there are a lot of Youtube channels specializing in this subject matter, and even with relatively limited resources, they can very interesting to watch. They don't do re-enactments, but they splice together news footage, newspaper headlines, and sometimes police interrogation videos. My favorite is That Chapter, who usually does solved cases, but also covers unsolved cases from time to time. Heavy Casefiles has slightly lower production quality, but is still good, and covers more recent events. Also good for the weirder stuff (aliens/ghosts) are Nexpo and Reignbot, who throw in a healthy dose of skepticism, while respecting the subject matter.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Watched the first episode. It was decent but nothing I couldn’t get from 48 Hours Mysteries or Dateline. Will watch a couple of others over the next week or so but for an opening episode it certainly didn’t make me want to binge the series.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  21. MikeInFla

I didn't realize it was already streaming. Will check it out as soon as I finish "Dark" (which is a German show but they've redubbed in English). That's a pretty good show kind of horror/time travel stuff.

22. I've watched half the episodes already, and they make a pretty good go of it without a host - although it might've benefited from having someone like Robert Stack involved to give the show a bit more energy. As it is, it has some of the ponderous feel that most Netflix crime doc's have - the greyscale colour timing, the sloow tracking shots, the muted ambient music soundtrack.

23. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Made it to the end of episode one. Every individual story was confusing and all jumbled together into a lump. One of the most uninteresting shows about a fascinating subject I’ve ever seen. It sucked.

These makers have no idea about storytelling. The lack of a narrator moving the pieces into place and establishing a structure was a huge mistake. By the end I had forgotten all the people were even referring to a UFO event.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Watched the first three now. Only the third (about the French Family) really held my interest.

MikeInFla likes this.
  25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Pretty disappointed with the new 'Unsolved Mysteries'. The format is now following a generic crime show focusing on one case only which goes on far too long. I'm already missing narration along with a condensed format to allow for multiple cases (2-3) along with an updates segment... they could have at least provided updates on some of the cases shown over the past 30 odd years. They also bypassed the original ending credit music which is a shame because that was the theme that scared even more kids back in the day lol.

I can only hope that they improve upon some of these items going into the next stretch, especially adding some more variety to the cases (Fraud, The Unexplained, Lost Loves, etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.