Netflix show “Another Life” w/ Katee Sack

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Watched the first episode of Another Life normally, but then switched to generous use of the skip-ahead-30-seconds function whenever the bratty kids who are the crew spoke or did anything.

I am only following Katee Sackhoff’s character, since she and the William hologram are the only characters worth listening to.

The problem with the setup is that there is no way in the world that a bunch of immature brats would be chosen for a mission. All of them (especially the original captain) would have raised red flags during psychological testing. It is so unbelievable that any of them would be there that skipping nearly every moment of them is the only way to maintain a suspension of disbelief. It is enough to hear a few words here and there that conveys their general sentiments and shows off their idiocy.

I agree that the crews ineptness is similar to Prometheus - but at least in Prometheus it was suggested that the crew of idiots were only window dressing to make the mission look good to the board of directors on paper, while the real command structure behind the curtain was Wayland and his robot David. In Another Life, there is no explanation for why they have a crew of frack-ups. That is, assuming the whole mission is not a literal nightmare - I'm only halfway through.

Another show Another Life appears to be “inspired by” is Defying Gravity - which was a brilliant, well-written, well-cast production that aired one season on ABC several years back. Another Life is a horrible degradation of Defying Gravity. It is like a bad student’s attempt to plagiarize from a superior work.

daglesj, wayneklein and Vidiot like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My god, this was horrible. They basically took a hodge-podge bullet list from about 20 other sci-fi films and stories and threw them together in a blender. Just awful.

I am not trying to judge women or age or anything like that, but man, let me just say the crew did not do Katee Sackhoff any favors with lighting or post-production. When I initially saw her, I thought, "well, for a woman in her early 50s, she looks pretty good." She's 39! WTF? :eek: :eek: :eek: I get they're not going for a glamorous look, but c'mon... they could help her out a little more than that.

This is a terrible, terrible, terrible show. Made it through the pilot and about 10 minutes into the next episode, then gave up and watched one of Dave Chapelle's recent comedy specials to cleanse the palette.

3. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

That was, along with a plot that has been recycled many times, was one of my major,problems-to wit how some of these idiots got on this mission and why their characters didn’t die sooner.

4. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Couldn't make it through the Pilot, made it up until the "breaking the ice, pep-talk" on the ship. Ugh.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. wayneklein

Well I trudged through the entire series in hope it would get better and I love Selma Blair, Katee Sackhoff but... it did take a slight improvement when they reached the planet they believed the aliens came from.

It didn’t become great but it did improve especially when the most annoying and unlikely crew members died.

Agreed that Katee is made to look like crap with the lighting.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think better lighting, better makeup, and maybe just a little ProMist filter on the lens would knock 10 years off her. It's a question of looking reasonable, vs. looking prematurely old. (I want a T-shirt that says, "I look a little better defocused.")

The crewmembers (even the robot) were whiney and annoying. I was cursing and yelling and booing and throwing things at the screen, and this was on my laptop, which is embarrassing.

robertawillisjr and budwhite like this.
  7. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I couldnt get past 20 min...

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

So I guess it will be renewed for another three seasons or has it been canned already?

9. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

As I recently signed on the Netflix this show came up and I started watching it. Yes it is horrendous, but is it a comedy? I was explaining how bad it was to my wife and it was hard because of all the laughing I was doing.
    They have 5 hours of air left and the captain states: "five hours, I can work with that". Yikes, they have to find a planet with O2, then somehow recharge their supplies in 5 hours, now that is funny.

Anyway with regards to the quote above, since this is the most important mission in the history of the earth, this must be the best humanity has to offer, or a 12 year old script writer? Take your pick.

timind likes this.
  10. wayneklein

It’s been renewed for a second season. More comedy in store

timind likes this.
  11. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

This popped up in my Netflix recommendations and I haven't watched a sci-fi show in a while, so I tried the first episode last night. I knew nothing about it other than, hey, it has that annoying actress from Longmire. Sadly, she is the least of this show's problems. The writing and acting are terrible across the board. With so many good TV shows competing for people's streaming attention, why would anyone even make a show like this?

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Someone asked me about this today. Said they had heard about this great sci-fi show "Another Life". Took me a minute to even recall what it was. I didn't make it far in the series, I think just a few episodes. Thought it was awful. But for you hate watchers - it apparently resumes on Netflix next month!

13. wayneklein

It has a couple of interesting ideas in it the problem is the execution.

14. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

Thought Katee Sackhoff was great in Battlestar Galactica... other than that I did not follow her career. One night, several years ago, I was channel surfing and came across a a kind of modern day Cowboy show and Katee was in it. Hmmm, this seems pretty good... after a few episodes I was hooked and Longmire remains one of my all time favorite shows, even got me into the novels and I have attended book signings with creator Craig Johnson. Katee, as Vic, was one of my favorite characters on Longmire. When the series was cancelled for good I thought, I’m gonna miss Katees attitude!

Then I heard about her new show..,, great! Katee is gonna be back and was in two shows I loved... high hopes. Then I watched maybe two episodes of Another Life and if she were not a celebrity with I’m sure a comfortable living I would have felt really..r e a l l y ... sorry for her. This show was/is one of the worst things I have ever tried to watch. Horrible on every measurable level. How this got a renewal tells me that Hollywood is broken beyond repair. The user reviews on Metacritic and such were some of the harshest, and at the same time hilariously right on the money, that I have ever seen. How.. how?!! ... could this possibly get another season. It was like the worst of the worst of those CW shows that barely get any viewers and somehow remain on the air but with f- bombs and sexual nonsense and worst of all a terrible cast of actors so bad even as a spoof they aren’t convincing. Shows like this make me want to never watch another show of any sort ever again.

Scowl likes this.
  15. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

It totally blew my mind when I saw this was being renewed for another season. My first thought was to take it as sign that I should cancel my Netflix subscription.

I'm typically not one to negatively criticize, but this show is just plain terrible.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Sackhoff

17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

You made me worried she was dead or something. (She’s ok).

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Indeed, so many 'really good' Netflix shows have been cancelled in their prime and yet one that was ridiculed and panned from the day it was released...got renewed.

Smells fishy to me.

CatManDude likes this.
  19. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

This is begging to be an Urban Dictionary term.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Didn't care for the show at all.

Lost in Space - Season 3 starts next week. Should be better...

daglesj likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I think it's very simple. This show had good numbers while other much better show did not

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

From past reports I'm not sure that's exactly how Netflix operates.

23. wayneklein

Amazingly bad show to the end. Entertaining in all of its badness.

24. wayneklein

Part of it has to do with streaming rights in secondary markets, ownership of the series, cost, who they are sharing the profits with, etc. It had decent ratings from what I've heard for Netflix.

daglesj likes this.
  25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well one thing I've confirmed the past two years is most folks dont have much taste or sense. So does not surprise me. They will eat up anything put in front of them.

robertawillisjr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.