Netflix: The Irishman - Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci & Harvey Keitel.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looked skinny last pic I seen.
    But then his throat problem, voice dub.

Love the dude so great on Jonsey’s Jukebox.

Seeing it’s a prequel it will be all new actors anyway.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Al’s supposed to be a nice guy. I’d be nice,too. If I were a legend in my own time.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

De-ageing. Let’s de-age Natalie Portman for Leon II. I can hardly wait for the new Indy movie — Half of India is going to employed using Photoshop on Harrison Ford.

bluesbro likes this.
  4. alexpop

Clint Eastwood no doubt jump ( try) onto the deage bandwagon with a western cowboy film.

5. alexpop

Martin Scorsese planning on doing any more deaging ( believable this time ) films?

6. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Saw it in the cinemas the day before Netflix release, am so glad I sought out a place that was screening it (even if it did mean driving to a cinema an hour away)!
    Really enjoyed the film :)

BZync, D-rock and Matt Richardson like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was $6 million dollars and three months of work to do that 2-minute segment in Captain America: Civil War. It's not practical to do it for multiple characters in a long movie. The Irishman took a year and roughly $70 million to pull off, and they didn't go to that much of an extreme (taking a 50-year-old actor and making him look 16). There's value in having real actors perform organically in a scene without any VFX at all.

And don't forget the need for actors doing voices, improv, and ad-libbing, which you can't get from a computer -- not good voices, anyway.

I think the danger of relying too heavily on CGI for characters is you wind up with something like Cats, which is going to be the biggest movie trainwreck of the holidays. My god, that's a weird-looking film.

pablo fanques, Ghostworld and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

Sfx it would be just the two actors. I’m more intrigued with the storyline.

9. alexpop

There’s a thread called “film genres you don’t like” mines is modern musicals.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's an article on the de-aging process used by ILM on The Irishman...

[​IMG]
    Joe Pesci was de-aged to a thinner version of Russell Bufalino, rather than just Joe Pesci at the same approximate younger age.

[​IMG]
    Original on left; de-aged on right.

De-aging the Irishman

11. alexpop

Pesci looks worse younger. :)
    Bobby D younger got rid of the turkey neck.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Or if you want to look tall stand next to Al Pacino or Joe Pesci!

a customer and Ghostworld like this.
  13. I bet Cats will be a huge holiday hit.

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Wow, colour me impressed with the sheer effort that went into that... never noticed their hands and even bodies were de-aged too... it was seamless for the most part!!!

"Impressive... most impressive", to quote Darth Vader.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Steven Van Zandt playing Jerry Vale reminded me of the guy in your avatar. Thanks for reminding me this morning lol.

16. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I missed that. Will keep an eye out second time round. I watched the first 30 minutes again over the weekend and picked up on a couple of things i'd missed first time round.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I better mention I’m complaining about de-aging looking fake, but I did not watch it On TV. I saw it at the Theater. I’m sure that makes a difference.

18. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

What's going on with the removal of small details from their shirts?

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I agree. I was telling a friend .. all Pesci & De Niro needed to do was sit there and look at eachother and you knew someone was getting whacked.

BZync and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's what is nice with streaming at home .. Pause it and go to the bathroom, grab a bite, e.t.c.

dead of night likes this.
  21. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Good eye. I wonder if it has to do with the placement of the de-aging, like the dots they put on actor's faces and clothing in movies with heavy CGI.

22. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Pesci's tie pin is gone, as well. It de-aged the shirts. Now they are both walking around with them untucked. That's not old school.

blind_melon1, BZync and Macman like this.
  23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It took 3 sittings for me to get thru it. I truly can't put a number on the amount of times I've watched Scorcese's films. And I'd watch any of them AGAIN without thinking twice, I consider myself a fan. I'll NEVER watch the Irishman again! And I don't understand, at all, all the chatter about Pesci's performance being award-worthy. I was as excited as the next guy about Pesci returning to the silver screen, but let's not get it twisted, it was Pesci playing Pesci, he was on auto-pilot. His role in Lethal Weapon was more challenging!;) I love this genre and all these players, but I sincerely hope that this the LAST mob/crime flick that ANY of them make. The thought flashed while watching that it was like watching an elderly couple getting it on, as opposed to when they were in their prime (what can I say, At times I was bored senseless!!;))

24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I watched it twice in two days and want to watch it again. To each their own. I put it in his top 5 of all time and I love about 20 of his movies. Pesci gives a great performance. It's subtle, but just like De Niro, he conveys a lot in his facial expressions. I also think it really needs to be watched in one sitting, and deserves multiple viewings to pick up on all that is happening. I love this movie! My favorite film of the year and I agree with Richard Roeper, the film critic, who called it one of the best films of the decade.

Last night I watched several interviews with Scorsese about the making of the film. I highly recommend searching some of them out. I really enjoyed this one.

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Did Scorsese say he had 13 weeks for Netflix? Does that mean after 13 weeks it will be removed from Netflix?