Network Streamer Recommendations - Budget $2k

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by johnnypaddock, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member Thread Starter

First, I'm sorry for another thread on network streamers. I know there are a number of them already, but I don't think I've been able to get my hands around all of the information I need.

My current setup is: Mac Mini (SSD) / JRiver > USB > Metrum Acoustics Adagio DAC

Everything sounds great, and it works perfectly with absolutely no dropouts. I'm just thinking about experimenting with a new network streamer in my setup for a few reasons:

1. Many people recommend against using a general purpose computer for streaming. I've tried to optimize the Mac Mini as best as I can, but a purpose-built audio streamer might be an improvement.

2. Numerous people with my DAC (and other Metrum DAC's) have preferences for the AES or SPDIF inputs rather than USB when it comes to sound quality. I'm not sure how much of a difference this might make, but I might like to experiment with one of those connection types to see how it affects the sound.

I've thought about trying an Auralic Aries G2 streamer. They are expensive but I've heard they sound great. I don't think JRiver would be compatible but I'd be willing to get into the Lightning DS software if the sound quality was a significant improvement. I'm not sure if my rack is suitable for the Aries though. I'd have it in a cabinet that has a lot of space it's usually closed.

Another option would be an Allo DigiOne Signature player. I'm not all that hands-on when it comes to building computers, but I could get one of them pre-built. I unfamiliar with how to properly order and hook up the "clean" and "dirty" sides for power and I don't have experience with Linux, but I'm willing to learn.

Does anyone here have experience comparing these streamers? Are there others that I should consider? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Way under budget, but I have one of these coming Monday:
    502DAC - PRO AUDIO SHIELD

My Convert 2 DAC only takes in AES/EBU (2 inputs) or optical. I believe it does USB as well, but I'm completely over USB at this point. I've already got an rPi 3 I can stick under this thing, so I just need to disassemble that, stick this on, hook it up and go as it's already Roon-ready and a new hat won't change that.

I can say that "building" a Pi is very easy but then I am a technically-inclined person, who works in a technology field. But there are videos and resources out there to help.

I've tried some HiFiBerry goods, a microRendu with LPS, a fully custom "audio PC," and so far, I've not been as impressed with anything as I am with my CD Transport > DAC frontend. So I'm hoping this new gadget pushes things up a little bit. It is not my endgame solution - that would be either a dCS network bridge ($$$$) or more likely, something in the Rednet family.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  3. aarodynamic

aarodynamic Well-Known Member

I'm using the NAD C 658 at the moment and am loving it. It has built-in BluOS support which is pretty good, but I use it with Roon which I find to be a substantially better experience.

The NAD C658 checked all my required boxes for a Streamer/Preamp/DAC:
    - Roon Ready
    - MQA decoder/renderer
    - Dirac Live room correction (Full Frequency)
    - 32/192 DAC
    - 24/96 support with Dirac engaged
    - Dual Subwoofer outputs (dual subwoofer Dirac bass management coming later this year)
    - Balanced XLR outputs
    - Analog Bypass for passing through my Home Theater Pre/Pro

I couldn't find anything else that checked all these boxes for under $10k.

Lebowski and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Several reviews have described the Auralic Aries G1 as very close to the G2, especially if you are not using the proprietary Lightning Link connection (which exists only on Auralic products, so not relevant to your current system). Buying G1 instead of G2 will save you a good amount of money.

I have a G1, and I like it a lot.

ceynon and johnnypaddock like this.
  5. johnnypaddock

Thanks... I was actually thinking of the G1 when I wrote my original post. Tough decision!

ceynon likes this.
  6. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

7. Mike-48

In regards to the Auralic Aries G1, it does have a lot of nice features. Wired or wireless; USB or SPDIF or AES3 output; built-in server for any USB drive plugged it; nice display; processor that can provide quite transparent parametric EQ and/or resampling. So while it is more costly than some of the competition, it does a lot.

I've compared it to three other units: The original Aries (femto), the Bricasti M5, and the Allo DigiOne (not Signature) card with the Allo aluminum case, iFi power supply, and a Raspberry Pi.

Compared to the original Aries, the G1 was noticeably better. I was surprised at how much the imaging stabilized and so on.

To my ears, the Bricasti and the Auralic G1 have the same level of performance: really excellent in my (pretty revealing) system. The Auralic G1 has many more features and was a little less quirky in its DLNA/UPnP operation. The Bricasti has a longer warranty (5 yr vs 3).

I built the Allo for a portable system, and I've only conducted a short comparison between the Allo and the Auralic. I was surprised at how close the Allo came, but to my ears the Auralic is smoother in the highest frequencies. Also, of course its features are much better. I think someone with a lesser system might not notice the difference, but you have an elegant and well-regarded DAC.

I think the Auralic G1 would be a good choice for your system. Unfortunately, Auralic has just raised prices, which they state is to absorb some of the costs of the US tariffs on Chinese-made goods. (They have a 30-day return policy.) That means the Bricasti is now probably a little cheaper than the Auralic.

Good luck with your decision. Every reviewer I've seen who has replaced the Mac Mini with a dedicated streamer has marveled at the difference.

I hope that's helpful.

P.S. Yes, JRiver can be used with the Auralic Aries G1. There are other ways of accessing it, too, but definitely JRiver (with its Media Network) will do just fine. There is no need to use Auralic's own software.

P.P.S. Bricasti is just 30 min away from you, in Shirley, if you should want to pursue that avenue....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    PATB, johnnypaddock and Mintsauce like this.
  8. johnnypaddock

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll check it out for sure, although I'm leaning against USB just because the input doesn't seem like a strong suit of my DAC.

9. johnnypaddock

Thank you so much for the detailed reply... This is extremely helpful. Well actually it complicates things, but I won't hold that against you. I was leaning towards going Allo Signature with linear power supply, but now I'm back on the fence. Both the Bricasti and Aries G1 options seem appealing. Knowing I could use JRiver with the Aries is nice, just because I'm happy with that software already. Sound quality is the biggest factor, but features and ease of use are really important. Thanks again!

10. Mike-48

You can use JRiver with any of these products, because JRiver can set up a DLNA renderer as a "zone".

11. Bwilson1

Bwilson1 Forum Resident

I have the Cambridge CXN V2 and it is excellent

Very reliable in my setup (running wired) and just works. Sine it is UPNP you have choices with control apps I have had good luck with MConnect and the CA connect app is basic but stable

Bought mine Bstock direct from Cambridge on the bay for $675

LOVE the display - Album Art looks very crisp from my listening chair

12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I also use this and it works great!

displayname likes this.
  13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I also have the CXNv2, but with a $2 budget looking for a transport I would be looking at an Aries or Lumin U1 mini. I’ve heard a lot of positive reviews from people about the Aries, and I’ve always been very impressed with the Lumin. Long term planning I feel like I’d be leaning towards the Lumin.

14. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

I have the non-pro version of this hat, powered by the LPS, and use it as a DAC in my system. It sounds really nice and pleasant, I feel no urge to upgrade. It works great as a streamer with RoonBridge installed on Raspberry Pi, connecting to Roon Server in another room via WiFi.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    toddrhodes likes this.
  15. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

Lumin U1 Mini has AES output. Also supports Spotify Connect and Airplay1 for casual listening/casting from other household members. Lumin runs a support forum subsection over at audioshark.org

displayname and johnnypaddock like this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This one struck my fancy:
    Mano ULTRA - Music Streamer:
    Magna Hifi - Mano ULTRA - Music Streamer (High-Res)
    A Hans Beekman review of that device was very positive, it comes in with all upgrades possible to around $1,350 -1,400.
    It has a HDMI/I2S output and I have a Denafrips Pontus DAC that I've been playing with for a few months now. which has all of the above input connections and I've heard really good things about using the I2S.
    Why apologize for starting 'another streamer thread' ?
    Very little gets typed into functional info. forum wise it seems, when Raspberry Pi and some other technologies get discussed it seems people that know that stuff really well just zing along spewing references to so many things that the newb has no clue about it. Sure a forum is just that, and people share experiences and even sometimes elaborate on their actual confirmed experience towards a subject.
    It does seem sometimes that some people who know a lot about computer/non computer based home network devices can leave a lot to be desired on elaborating in layman's terms though (or maybe this is just one of my excuses for dragging my feet).
    So yeah, I haven't streamed anything yet, I do know that I want to rip, store, backup and stream/serve somewhere between 700 and 1000 CDs, and get away from a dedicated computer/desktop having anything to do with it, and maybe a little Spotify or Tidal and some internet radio would be nice.
    I had been sold on just getting a Bluesound Node 2I, but since the RtoR DACs I have been playing with do make spinning discs sound great and everyone seems to point out that once ripped and properly streamed the sound is better than spun with a transport, that I should get hip and stream for crying out loud. Of course I don't have a real transport, I have an old Sony and a Pioneer CD recorder for transports, so I was looking at getting a serious transport and a cheap streaming solution, but it does make more sense to switch that priority. I was going to get a NAS, start ripping and then get the BSNode, I was tempted early on to go the Roon route then decided it was not really packed with all that much and that the Nucleus devices were possibly underdeveloped and over priced.
    Now (today anyway) I'm thinking if I look at it this way: forget that expensive transport and put it towards the Nucleus + and a lifetime license then get that Mano streamer as an endpoint to the Pontus and be done with it.
    It should sound excellent through the HDMI connection and I think Roon does Internet radio just like the Bluos app.
    That's all I got today anyway.

JayNYC likes this.
  17. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

I've found streamers to have generated the least bang for the buck in my setup and gained much more pleasure investing elsewhere in my chain. If your aim really is budget per the title, and you're really all for SPDIF / Coaxial (though I'm sure a good and proper DAC would solve any USB issues), I recommend a Raspberry PI (a Pi 3B is fine, no need for 4) and a Hifiberry Digi hat. Volumio's free so that's a big plus. If you want a touchscreen, there are add on options as well.

18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I'm curious if the OP has picked up a streamer, very curious to hear especially if you found one with AES out.
    FWIW I was way sold on the Allo DigiOne Signature approach, and I feel that that particular RPI approach would probably count as edging out the BSNode as far as bang for the buck, I read somewhere that the Allo sounds better of those two (going through a DAC).
    I would honestly like to avoid Roon if possible but there is probably good reason that so many like it so much, I drag the feet because it just makes sense that some manufacturer will eventually bundle a software controller for their streamer that trumps the Roon experience.

19. johnnypaddock

So after starting this thread I picked up an Allo DigiOne Signature Player with an Uptone LPS 1.2 linear power supply. It was a clear immediate improvement over the Mac Mini. Resolution increased and the noise floor was lowered. I was very surprised at how good it sounded. I was using SPDIF (coax) to connect with my DAC.

Unfortunately just recently the DigiOne ran into a hardware issue and Allo is sending me a new board.

Although I was dead set on JRiver when I started this thread, I decided to try Roon about a month ago. I've enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, so my next streamer will need to be a good Roon endpoint. I might try a Metrum Ambre which should be a nice match with my DAC.

adamos, ubiknik and Rolltide like this.
  20. Mike-48

@johnnypaddock - I believe that Volumio running on the player you have can be used as a Roon endpoint. I'd look into it, anyway . . . I've not done it so not the one to say definitively. I think Volumio doesn't have Roon right out of the box but can be configured for it. And -- glad to hear you're enjoying the new streamer.

21. johnnypaddock

It can, but I actually ended up installing RoPieee as a Roon endpoint and going away from JRiver altogether. I don't know what took me so long to get on the Roon train. It is fantastic software and the DigiOne really sounds great. I just got a great deal on a Metrum Ambre to compare. I think I'll try the IS2 interface to the Adagio just for the hell of it.

22. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

You can get a Bluesound Node2 and Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC for about $1700.00 and have enough left over for a years worth of Tidal HIFI. Plug and play.

23. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I recently tried the C658 and was surprised by it. Definitely a high bang-for-buck piece of kit.

aarodynamic likes this.
  24. jazzbirder

jazzbirder Member

@ubiknik, Do you have an opinion about the Mano ULTRA now that is a year later ? I bought the Mano ULTRA in July 2020 and I still cannot figure the manual ! I discovered I need an I- phone to start the unit which is still have not obtained ! I also am from Chicago !

25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Wow. Sorry to hear that,
    I have yet to actually get a streamer so I can't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.