NEVER ship eBay goods without tracking!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Ghostworld, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I have shipped about 150 items CDs/SACDs in the last 2 years overseas without tracking, and only one customer complained that the outer case was cracked and wanted a refund. No other issues about items not turning up etc. Maybe Ireland has a quality postal service. I don't understand. Maybe you are selling to the wrong people.:confused:

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

This might happen to me. I am in a dispute right now. Buyer refused to buy insurance after several written requests from me that she do so. I have confirmation that I sent the item (USPS receipt and customs number), but PayPal is telling me it is my responsibility that the item be received...even if they agree I shipped it. What BS. I am done shipping internationally except for here on Forum...

pdenny likes this.
  3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Seems to me the buyer should be responsible for buying the insurance. After I ship it, they own it, don't they?

4. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

in a dreamworld, my friend. Not in the eBay/PayPal world. I can only say that if the item sells for more than you're willing to give up in a refund, you must get tracking. If you have to, add the extra cost into the sale price. If an item I sell goes for more than I expected I don't mind losing a buck or two in making sure it arrives safely...for my sake. eBay is a game and you have to play by their rules...but you can still protect yourself.:cheers:

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Been using them for 15 years...I had no idea how this worked until yesterday...

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

This is a good post.

People forget one VERY important factor when they become sellers via the web - or more specifically, ebay. 'Loss' is ALWAYS a part of doing business. You cannot prevent it. What you can do however is minimize it.

If you owned a brick & mortar, or have a physical sales outlet in a co-op or mall, or do shows & thrifts - you will have theft, switcheroo's, and 'other' types of losses (accidental drops, water, misplacement, etc.) Guaranteed. Having done this before I guarantee the occasional loss via mail to a crooked buyer will be far less over the span of a year than almost any other mode of selling.

Yes it sux to lose an item to a dishonest buyer who claims they never received an item, but how often does that really happen? As mark f post notes, if you charge for shipping that is inconsistent with the items value -- you've essentially eliminated a sale by your own over caution.

Its been known for years that if you ship an item domestic - purchase the postage through paypal and get the free delivery confirmation that will assist you in a no-delivery claim.

If you ship overseas - weigh the delivery confirmation cost with the cost of the good. Balance or hedge your potential for loss. But don't allow fear of loss to take over.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You are absolutely correct. The moment you accept their payment (or promise to pay) they are recognized traditionally at law as the owner. Problem is - ebay is a private 'in-house' auction exchange and if you enter or use their home -- you have to adhere to their house rules. Is this right? No, they are wrong technically but thats what we have to deal with.

Remember, ebay does allow you to incorporate some handling costs in the auction price outside the shipping cost parameters. I know some sellers purchase insurance for themselves on the pricier items they sell. Its just incorporated into the auction price basically.

8. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

My son sold his 3rd Gen I phone to someone in the Ukraine on Ebay.

It was a close call when the buyer claimed that he never received the item.

Fortunately the kid did a great job of CYA and documented everything.

In the end there was proof that the buyer received the item.

However, at age 21 he has learned a valuable lesson from this 1st time experience.

9. serge

serge Forum Resident

oops.. I just sent a record to the Ukraine and am worried... I guess i'm at mercy of buyer at this point..

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Well, I get screwed by PayPal on my transaction. I have government confirmation that I shipped the item, but, they ruled against me. Buyer got $130 refund on the item, and, for all I know, she also has my rare SACD.

I have learned my lesson the hard way. No more ebay international shipping for me unless the buyer pays for tracking and insurance.

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Another loophole in PayPal that is gonna get...probably cost me $315. Do you guys know that local pickup voids the PayPal protection for a buyer? "it's in the agreement".... Geez....

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Holy Toledo! ebay acutally backed me up on something. Seller would not take back damaged speakers he sold to me...but ebay reimbursed me in full! Nice CS for a change!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.