New 1969 Altamont footage

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Jan 5, 2022.

1. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

More newly uploaded Altamont footage, this time from KCRA-TV

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I don't think you'd have to be PC to see it as wrong to profit off a tragedy. That's just... standard ethics.

O Don Piano, JoeF., Suncola and 6 others like this.
  3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Unlikey. The Moog IIIP had been in production for a while by then. Micky Dolenz, Mick Jagger, Roger McGuinn and numerous others had their own IIIP's prior to 1969.

Now, if you're talking the IIIC, very few of those were made by 1969 and were used for a bit, then sold to other acts. Although, that model was modifiable...more cabinets with more effects could be added and removed. Emerson did that a lot with his IIIC, which later became simply "The Modular Moog".

The IIIP was the portable model, i.e. the P, before the Mini came out in 1970.

JoeF. and Shawn like this.
  4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Looks like Tangerine Dream bought the Stones Moog.
    Doug McKechnie played it at Altamont.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Perhaps Criterion should stop selling DVDs and blu-rays of Gimme Shelter, then?

6. Paul Beaver and Bernie Krause had a booth showcasing the Moog at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. They repped the young company and then of course put out several albums of their own on Warner Brothers

JoeF. and nicotinecaffeine like this.
  7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Yes, let's "Cancel" Gimme Shelter. Good Lord. FFS, every time to watch ANYTHING, with very few exceptions, someone's getting paid. <endRant>

Edit: Sorry, verging on "political"

8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

How does Gimme Shelter profit off a tragedy?

9. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Was the actual tour not the one where they did not bother paying their hotel(s) bills , and at the end Jagger flew to Switzerland with all the cash in a briefcase chained to his arm ?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Blu-rays ain't free.

supermd and Uuan like this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, you can't make movies about Titanic either?

Look, Gimme Shelter is a cinema verité account of a tragedy. It was not designed to make money. There is a reason why the Stones did not release a live album from Altamont, and it's not because of political correctness.

ARK likes this.
  12. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Never saw what hit Marty - he suddenly seems to collapse. But you don`t see him get hit (not that I doubt it).
    Wiki says he was off-stage, trying to sort out a scuffle but he seems to be on stage playing.
    Did he regain conciousness? Did they play on? What are his recollections?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You're the one suggesting it would be "wrong to profit off a tragedy", so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  14. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I believe Marty jumped off the stage into the crowd to stop an Angel from attacking somebody. It was early in the day and he musta thought he coulda done something to stop it. He did get back onstage to continue the set but it was clear something bad had happened especially after Paul's comments.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If Gimme Shelter can show them performing there and show the killing itself on film, I'm not sure how a complete release of the Stones set is any different/worse, as far as "profiting off a tragedy" is concerned.

To me, any performance from Altamont, especially the Stones, is of incredible historical value.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  16. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

A tragedy would be if the gun went off. Not to say it wasn't a cluster****. for many reasons,but we don't have to look very far these past few years for glaring examples of "profiting off a tragedy" is concerned.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Gun going off or not, someone was stabbed and beaten to death (one death of four). Bad news. The bad/scary vibes are present in the Stones' set. Hear that performance of "Gimme Shelter" during the end credits? Haunting and foreboding in a very powerful way. I'd love to hear the whole set.

All Down The Line, lukpac and Amnion like this.
  18. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Im glad to read others confused by the argument "you shouldnt profit off tragedy." I see this all the time and its never made sende to me. The original documentary features an overview of the tour climaxing with the killing. The killing is literally mentioned as a tagline on the promotional poster for Gimme Shelter.

How could a documentary or individual set release that focuses on the music instead be any more exploitive and inappropriate than the sole commercial property that already exists? Gimme Shelter is a well done documentary, but if you had it and a release of just the music from one of the bands set and asked which one was exploiting the murder...well.

One thing I always take away from the Altamont footage has always been an understanding of why crowd security evolved the way it did and the kinds of chaos that forced it.

There were some great performances at Altamont. There were some great recordings made and some amazing footage of acts during an era where proshot film footage is not overly common. Some of those artists have passed now and I'm sure their fanbases would enjoy seeing and hearing that material.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Fantastic post. I can't improve upon it, but I'll add this: I'll take any live material from my favorite bands, regardless of where and under which circumstances they occurred. I want as many full 1969 concerts by the Stones as I can get my hands on. It's peak Stones, in my book. Do I want Altamont more than any others? Kinda, in the same way that, if there were a few professionally-recorded concerts by, say, The Who from around Woodstock time, I'd want them all, but I'd want Woodstock the most, because "Woodstock." Same for Altamont. I want all the MSG 1969 Stones performances, but I want Altamont more, because "Altamont."

20. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

B.S!

They LOVED the image it gave them, they courted that image with everything they had.

Is it co-incidence Jagger is wearing what amounts to a "Devil costume" at Altamont?

"Something funny always happens when we start that number"

Plus I just need to add this about the "Tragedy" at Altamont"

DON'T BRING A GUN TO CONCERTS! AND DON'T DRAW THAT GUN IN A CROWD OF 300,00!!!!!

What do people think Mr. Baxter was planning on DOING with that gun?! Playing pattycake?!?!?

That Hells Angel did what he HAD to do......"Excuse me sir, will you please put down the firearm"

Something tells me that wouldn't have done much good.

Are the Angles blamless? No, but for God's sake, if things are getting hairy....GET AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF THE STAGE...Don't stand there and say "Don't worry hunny, I'm PACKIN'!"

Baxter has been nearly sainted in the years since Altamont.

And NOBODY wants to mention this jack-ass drew a gun in a crowd of 300,00, and perhaps got exactly what he should have known was coming.

And again....don't blame The Angles.....why did this guy have a GUN in the front row of a Rock concert in the FIRST PLACE?!?!?

And if he brought that gun to concerts.....I wonder what else he was using it for????

21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I'm just confused by this PC bogeyman. Of course the Stones would never release the Altamont show with a profit motive. I don't think they would release it for free either. Neither has anything to do with political correctness.

Would they make it available to scholars along with the rest of their archives in the future? Possibly.

ARK likes this.
  22. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

A release of the complete show would fall into the entertainment category, whereas Gimme Shelter is a documentary. That's why we won't see Altamont in the From the Vault series.

ARK likes this.
  23. pfiz

pfiz Active Member

This is the one shot that really showed what a nightmare it would have been around the stage that night. That poor girl probably camped for two days or more to get that place front stage and all for a night of terror. The fear in her eye's, the tears streaming down her cheeks while her head still moves to the music. That's THE image that stood out to me the first time I watched the documentary. Girl @ 7:46

24. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

The shots of the audience are incredible on this footage. The devastation on this womans face is haunting and yet the guy standing immediately beside her is widely smiling and appears to be having a great time. Just a reminder that even people experiencing the same thing are seldom, if ever experiencing "the same thing."

Mark E. Moon, JoeF., ex_mixer and 2 others like this.
  25. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Does anyone know why the grateful dead didn't perform that day? They were there and there was a lot of people there to see them.

All Down The Line likes this.