New 1969 Altamont footage

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I’ll try and find the pic mate, didn’t really want to post on the forum what they said in the doc re the pic but must have been difficult for mick to deal with at the time if it’s true.

All Down The Line and Amnion like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Or PM, whichever you feel more appropriate.

Carl80 and Amnion like this.
  3. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Count me in if you don't mind @Carl80 :D
    Is the doc available to stream anywhere?

kt66brooklyn and Carl80 like this.
  4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Frizzy haired guy visible in frame at 3:51 is the guy with the 35 mm camera visible in front of the curly-haired Mystery Cameraman in the overhead shot. Curly-haired guy IS the MC. To be fair, it looks like everyone brought their 35 mm SLR and 8 mm home movie cameras to the show that day, sort of a forerunner of today's audiences where everyone is holding up their cameras to livestream the show.

CRJ likes this.
  5. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident

Did those home movie cameras have sound? It's just strange there aren't uploads to YouTube or bootlegs or video bootlegs. If there are I've never seen them. Good footage with even halfway decent sound outta be worth some $$.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Fascinating film of an event that sealed the fate of a generation. The library of congress did a spectacular job with the restoration. Too bad there’s no sound, but visually it still sheds light on the events of that particular day. Obviously there were folks there that actually had a good time, and also those who came with a different objective. The night scenes were able to provide some evidence that despite all the problems, Mick Jagger did his best to stop the madness and stayed positive throughout the ordeal. Sadly, he was over his head in that particular situation.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Thanks. The sun looked yellow back in '69.

8. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I think the further away from the stage people were, the better time they had!

O Don Piano and Swansong like this.
  9. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

That and it being the Dead's horrible idea to have the Angels provide "security".

10. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Ever wonder what they were all doing there at that spot? Why it was so popular? It was the front row of a general admission rolling stones show. Great idea to put the bikes there. Ever wonder what they thought would happen to their bikes going into it? Whatever they thought is probably what ended up happening. They were kind of in charge.

11. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

A rare "trip up" by "captain trips"

12. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

So why wasn’t Gram Parsons ever shown in the original film? And holy heck Grace Slick is stunning. Any good boots of the Airplane set out there? I’m in the minority who thinks they were simply amazing at Woodstock.

ArpMoog and kt66brooklyn like this.
  13. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Gram made the original film briefly

Zeki likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Someone entirely missed that point upthread.

drad dog likes this.
  15. ron/asheton

"Security " and keep the people off stage are two entirely different things.

16. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

He was.

17. ron/asheton

Theres nothing to wonder about.. They were there because that was the deal they made. Here's $500 worth of beer to keep people off the stage.

Nobody disputes this. They were not hired to be security. It sounds like you're suggesting they parked there because they wanted their bikes to be vandalized.

18. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

So they were smart to park there, but folks were stupid to try to get close to the stones at a stones show?

By parking there they knew full well they would be defending their bikes gloriously for the whole day. It was their show.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Ok, I've ruled off that Byrds/Dead country phase, but that sounds really good. Looks like Bernie Leadon there too. Think I'll have to get that first Burritos album and consider more afterwards. Good post.

As for Altamont...whatever reasoning is made to split hairs over this or that - drugs are not good.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Chris Hillman bass and Michael Clarke on drums ( both from the Byrds)

nicotinecaffeine likes this.
  21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Clarke was their drummer? Hell, I thought he disappeared after Notorious. Ok, good deal.

Fullbug and Lexhibit like this.
  22. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

yup Clarke was in Firefall later also pop country

O Don Piano, Mark Wilson and Fullbug like this.
  23. ron/asheton

Lol yeah that's it.

Like anyone wants a damaged unridable bike in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

But sure, it was all part of their master plan. Of all the people who got beat up or hit, I wonder if there is a single one that DIDN'T try getting on stage, jump on an Angel, or damage a bike.

That entire stage set up is beyond idiotic in every way imaginable.

24. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I wonder who made the call to let them do it.

I don't know man. Everyone has met or knows those guys who do that. Kids do that all the time. "This is da rule!" They weren't afraid of their bikes getting ruined in the slightest. They were brothers spoiling for action. Unless you have a better take.

Bikes in front of the stage at a GA Stones show? Who would even think of it other than someone who wanted trouble.

O Don Piano and Mark Wilson like this.
  25. ron/asheton

Yeah I have a better take. You park your bike where you can see it. These people messed up the bikes RIGHT IN FRONT of a small army of Angels. What do you think they would have done to them if the bikes were out of sight or only watched by a few prospects?

Some people hate hells angels, or bikers, or just motorcycles in general, but to suggest they used their bikes as bait, so after they got messed up they could beat people up is really fighting all common sense tooth and nail.

If they wanted to just beat people up for no reason they could have done it. There was nobody there to stop them except other angels. What you're saying is so devoid of logic that I've never even heard it before.

Weren't afraid of their bikes getting ruined in the slightest? Have you eaten the brown acid tonight?

ArpMoog likes this.