NEW AAA "Original Jazz Classics" OJC - Craft Series 2023 and beyond

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Aiden, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excited to see information hidden on Craft website with pre order dates for the first two titles both mastered by Kevin Gray, tip on jacket AAA, OB strip and pressed at RTI. Exciting stuff!!!

28th April

Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet Original Jazz Classics Series https://a.co/d/fBivBb0

26th May
    Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane https://a.co/d/61ieLS9

RIP My Wallet!

Jam757, Westerwick, Paully and 34 others like this.
  2. glowtone

glowtone Forum Resident

I remember when these OJCs were $8.98 and as common as the day is long. Times sure have changed. (Not complaining! Just nostalgic!)

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

They finally caught on realized they can charge the same price as tone poets for these. Looking forward to them, after price drops on Amazon of course.

BZ58, Absentcamel, Sean and 7 others like this.
  4. glowtone

glowtone Forum Resident

Truly they have figured it out. But many of these OJC titles have always felt a little second-rate to me. Blowing sessions, hastily gathered groups, etc. They are all mostly wonderful to listen to, and are great collection-fillers, but never felt as special as a lot of the Blue Notes.

Absentcamel, spindly, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Wonder if they'll do any of the Bill Evans albums

6. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

That and Wes Montgomery's Riverside work.

Still looking for a AAA copy of Cookin' though...

7. Swordsandchains

Long Live Analog and rcsrich like this.
  8. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

"All-analog mastering" is not "cut directly from original master tapes" or "AAA." You can all analog master from original master tape transfers, which would be the digital step. Many labels bend words like that.
    So while good to hear these look great on the engineer, plant and packaging, AAA buyers may want to wait until Craft provides clarification on this.

9. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

Are they not the owners of the original master tapes? It's not like they ask someone else for the source and get sent a copy... ;)

wgb113 likes this.
  10. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

Sure, but you can say the same thing about Sony as well, but we very rarely get AAA from their catalogue ;)
    I think it's all about making business sense, and whether making these AAA and the cost/risk it produces are worth any potential increase in sales figures and market value for these labels.

dman23 likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It would be great if they do some of the many hidden gems from the OJC catalog, instead of albums that have been reissued an nth number of times.

12. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

If you're going to parse it at that level than "AAA" does not provide complete assurance either since you need to ask the label if they are interpreting AAA to allow for use of a digital delay in their analog cutting system. For me personally, piecing together the statements with context and common sense is enough to guide my buying decisions and a little ambiguity is not going to ruin my experience as long as the records sound good and are reasonably affordable.

13. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I've always thought the Monk/Coltrane recordings were snoozefests :hide:

Paquini and GabrielJazz like this.
  14. Swordsandchains

oh come on

15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Finally Workin’. Easy preorder.

16. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

The verbiage on the Craft site specifically states it is:

Undeniably one of the most iconic smaIl bands in the history of jazz, the Miles Davis Quintet of the mid-1950s featured an all-star line-up of Miles Davis (trumpet), John Coltrane (tenor sax), Red Garland (piano), Paul Chambers (bass) and Philly Joe Jones (drums). This edition of Workin’— released as part of the Original Jazz Classics Series—is cut from the original master tapes (AAA) by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. The LP is pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI and housed in a replica of its original Tip-On jacket with obi.

Jam757, Carlos B, Westerwick and 24 others like this.
  17. judasgoat

judasgoat Well-Known Member

What gives me hope is that there's probably a lot of money to be made if they do. I don't think many BE fans were willing to pay $600 (and later $900) for the AP box, my self included.

J Borland, wgb113, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  18. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

Awesome, the OG post has only links for Amazon, which did not have this clarified but now super clear. Happy to see this.

19. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

If you use a couple of complete sentences, I can understand your point with these.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

These are indeed all-analog, AAA, cut directly from the master tapes by Kevin Gray.

21. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Best news Ive heard in a while, plus Tip-On jackets. I just hope these don't get delayed like everything else has been. Been waiting on Workin for a long time.

22. Swordsandchains

meant to delete “here we go” but oh come on, youre DIGGING to find a reason. If we use your logic then tone poets are questionable too: “This stereo Tone Poet Vinyl Edition was produced by Joe Harley, mastered by Kevin Gray (Cohearent Audio) from the original analog master tapes, pressed on 180g vinyl at Record Technology Inc. (RTI), and packaged in a deluxe gatefold tip-on jacket.”

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  23. AudioTimes

Is Sony saying "All-analog mastering" for those releases?

Doesn't seem like the same scenario ;)

24. AudioTimes

I would think AAA is AAA, full Analog at each step. Digital Delay, at any of the steps, is not AAA. Not subject to interpretation, I would say.

sparkmeister and FashionBoy like this.
  25. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Now THIS is what I’ve been wanting! I almost hope they offer a subscription series, because I’ve been waiting for this to happen for years.

Twinsfan007, wgb113, Briskit and 2 others like this.