New Alan Parsons - From the New World - July 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beartrackrecords, May 25, 2022.

1. beartrackrecords

beartrackrecords Forum Resident Thread Starter

FROM THE NEW WORLD - PREORDER NOW
    ALAN PARSONS ANNOUNCES NEW STUDIO ALBUM
    'FROM THE NEW WORLD' TO BE RELEASED ON JULY 15, 2022. AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER NOW: AlanParsons.com

NEW SINGLE, 'UROBOROS' FEATURING TOMMY SHAW OF STYX OUT NOW

Frontiers Music Srl is proud to announce the release of the upcoming new studio album, From The New World, by the legendary Alan Parsons on July 15, 2022. Fans can get their first preview of the new album with the release of the single and music video, 'Uroboros' which features vocalist/guitarist Tommy Shaw of STYX. Watch the video HERE:

The Grammy Award winning musical icon and master of progressive rock released his previous studio album The Secret back in April of 2019. From The New World continues with the classic sound Parsons has become known for during his impressive 50+ year career by fusing progressive, symphonic, and classic rock elements together throughout this stunning new album. Guest appearances include guitar virtuoso Joe Bonamassa, and vocalists Tommy Shaw of STYX, David Pack formerly of Ambrosia, and American Idol alumni James Durbin, who blend seamlessly with Alan and his incredible band. Included are also features with P.J. Olsson, Todd Cooper, Dan Tracey, Mark Mikel and Tabitha Fair.
    Pre-order/save "From The New World" on CD, CD/DVD, Color Vinyl, Collector's Box Set, & Digital formats HERE: "From The New World" or via AlanParsons.com

*CD/DVD includes CD + DVD Audio (5.1 Audio Mix of new album)
    *LPs available as Limited Edition Crystal color vinyl and Limited Edition Yellow color vinyl
    *Collector's Box Set includes CD+DVD (housed in a digipak), Live in Madrid Digifile, T-shirt (size L), LP (180g, gatefold, Blue Transparent), poster, & numbered lithograph

Two concerts were filmed in 2019 and released in 2021/2022. Produced by IM3 Global Entertainment, The NeverEnding Show: Live in the Netherlands and One Note Symphony: Live in Tel Aviv were both released within the last several months by Frontiers Records to international acclaim, the latter concert featuring the Alan Parsons Live Project accompanied by an 80-piece symphony orchestra. These releases are still available at An Afternoon with Alan Parsons Broadcast Event (Netherlands) and "One Note Symphony: Live In Tel Aviv" (TelAviv).

Parsons was recently honored with the prestigious OBE (Order Of The British Empire) award from the Queen of England for his contributions to the arts.

His new album, From the New World features a star-studded line-up of special guests including Tommy Shaw of STYX, David Pack formerly of Ambrosia, American Idol's James Durbin and guitar legend Joe Bonamassa.

From The New World tracklist:
    1. Fare Thee Well
    2. The Secret
    3. Uroboros (featuring Tommy Shaw of STYX)
    4. Don't Fade Now
    5. Give 'Em My Love (featuring James Durbin, Joe Bonamassa)
    6. Obstacles
    7. I Won't Be Led Astray (featuring David Pack, Joe Bonamassa)
    8. You Are The Light
    9. Halo
    10. Goin' Home
    11. Be My Baby

LINE-UP:
    Lead Vocals - Alan Parsons, Tommy Shaw, David Pack, James Durbin, P.J. Olsson, Todd Cooper, Dan Tracey, Mark Mikel, Tabitha Fair
    Backing Vocals - Alan Parsons, Tommy Shaw, P.J. Olsson, Todd Cooper, Dan Tracey, Doug Powell, Mark Mikel, Chris Shutters, Scott Hunt
    Guitars - Alan Parsons, Jeff Kollman, Dan Tracey, Doug Powell, Jeff Marshall, James Durbin, Tim Pierce
    Bass - Guy Erez
    Drums - Danny Thompson
    Keyboards - Tom Brooks, Doug Powell, Matt McCarrin, Kim Bullard
    Sax - Todd Cooper
    Cello on “I Won’t Be Led Astray” - Mika Larson
    Guitar Solos on “Give ‘Em My Love” and “I Won’t Be Led Astray” - Joe Bonamassa

MUSIC VIDEO:
    Directed & Produced by Trinity Houston
    Co-Directed by Steven Archer
    Co-Produced by David Minasian
    Art & Editing by Steven Archer
    Music & Lyrics by Todd Cooper, Doug Powell & Alan Parsons
    ⒸAppertaining LLC & IM3Global Entertainment

2. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I know it wasn't universally loved, but I really enjoyed the last album and a pre-order of this new one (CD/DVD combo) didn’t require any thought.

3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Needless to say that I'm looking forward to this. Like @JakeKlas, I thought The Secret was a good album. Funny how this new album now seems to have the title track for that! Also looking at the two related album covers (although the new one also winks at Eye in the Sky and Pyramid), I wonder if they are designed to be a series of sorts. Having said that, the song titles are a bit dubious, the only vocalist I can't say I've ever heard of (Tabitha Fair) seems to be mostly recording Christian music, and I can't quite understand how a Ronettes cover is going to fit in. But we'll see. Given that there are nine lead vocalists and eleven tracks, I hope there are one or two instrumentals.

The box set follows the model of The Secret. You get a t-shirt, a vinyl record (apparently exclusive in this variant), some other tat and a CD live album that has been out of print for a while. It was LiveSpan in 2019, now it's Eye 2 Eye - Live in Madrid.

That said, I'm still wishing for a release that collects all the stray tracks from in between albums (e.g. the three bonus studio tracks from the first Live album in 1995, "Beginnings" from the Japanese Time Machine, "All Our Yesterdays", "Alpha Centauri", "Fragile", "Do You Live at All?" and now "The Neverending Show", which I thought was going to be on the new album). Sequenced well, they could make a nice "album" of their own.

4. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

Yeah, I'll give this a try when it comes out.
    I haven't heard his 2019 album, but every other one that I have heard as well as the single above I like, so it's worth it to at least stream it!

JulesRules likes this.
  5. JulesRules

Have you ever participated in the album by album thread I'm currently helming? :)

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I enjoyed watching the video and spotting all the references to previous albums.

7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I enjoyed his last album, The Secret.

Oddly, it was hard to find the vinyl edition as it was only released in Europe. But I’ll get this one too.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

why doesn't david pack do more?

JulesRules likes this.
  9. JulesRules

It's more than he did on Parsons' previous four albums!

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no, more on his own, or with a band, or even get ambrosia back together....something.....anything.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. JulesRules

I have to correct myself; he actually does sing on A Valid Path. It hadn't even crossed my mind.

12. JulesRules

So I listened to the single twice and it's not really doing much for me. I hope this doesn't signal anything about the quality of the album...

13. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

And this is where I continue to wrestle with whether or not I want to listen to singles before an album I intend to get is released. More and more I’ve stopped doing that. If I know I’m buying the album because of a trust I have in the artist (possibly a misplaced trust in some cases), I kind of need to stop listening to the singles and wait to listen to the full album in context, and not when I’m doing other things at the same time on the computer.

That doesn’t mean a bad song is any better, but maybe in the context of the album (or hearing the 5.1 version in this case) it’ll work better for me.

All that said, I did cave the other day and listen to the new single once. Like you, it didn’t do much for me which is a shame because I like Tommy Shaw. I still have confidence (especially after the last album) that I’ll like this new one. So no more previews for me. I’ll hear it all when I get it. If I find I’m disappointed by the album, Parsons will go into my “listen before buying” category for future releases.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I wanted to like The Secret, but no... Super mediocre album.
    I will buy this one anyway.

serj likes this.
  15. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Didn't care for the last two from Mr. Parsons. This track is pretty OK (though it seems like where they chose to end it would have been a great place for a smoking guitar solo/keyboard piece). Strong enough for me to at least check out the album...hope I'm not disappointed. At least I know how to pronounce "uroboros" now.

QQQ likes this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I liked the song

The singer reminds me the great Kelly Holland (RIP) from Cry of Love. Never heard Styx before. Gonna check them out

carlwm and JulesRules like this.
  17. JulesRules

"Boat on the River" and "Babe" (sung by Dennis DeYoung) were huge hits, the former is still an evergreen in Germany. But I think "Renegade" (sung by Shaw) is more typical of their work. (I'm not an expert on Styx, but I do know a few songs.)

Oh, and it's a funny coincidence that some years after APP had done I Robot, Styx had their last big hit with a robot song too - "Mr. Roboto".

18. Jeff McParsons

Jeff McParsons Forum Resident

A new studio album from Alan Parsons - great! I really liked "The Secret" and "Uroboros" sounds pretty good to my ears, too.
    A lot of former albums are referenced in the video, I just watched it once but I remember seeing "Pyramid", "The Turn Of A Friendly Card", "Eye In The Sky", "Ammonia Avenue", "Vulture Culture", "Gaudi", "The Time Machine" (probably) and "The Secret". Probably more that I have overlooked.
    I also expected "The Neverending Show" on this album but then it is also as a bonus track on the same-titled live album. And I do hope that "Be My Baby" is just a different song with a different title. But then I hoped the same thing with "You're The Voice" on the 1st live album :cry: ...

Jarleboy, carlwm and JulesRules like this.
  19. JulesRules

I have to report that "Uroboros" is growing on me. When I was walking, a bit of that song kept replaying in my head. Round and round like... well you know what. ;)
    I'm pretty sure it isn't. This was mentioned in an interview last year or so. It's also confirmed in this article.

Also, there is another cover. In an interview, he said the following (aside from teasing that I Robot may be released in Dolby Atmos!):

"I don't think it's going to be particularly conceptual, but I think we're going to revamp a famous classical piece. I won't say what that is yet because it gives it away, but it's something very ambitious and exciting."

Read More: Alan Parsons Teases Possible 'Get Back' Cameo, New Project Music

As the album is called From the New World, that rung a bell, and so I looked up the Wiki article of the Dvořák symphony of the same name. Sure enough, "Goin' Home" is a song written over the second movement.
    It made sense, though, since Chris had written the song and never done a proper studio version of it. Maybe it should've been released as "Chris Thompson featuring Alan Parsons", not the other way round...

While (fruitlessly) looking for the interview where Parsons mentioned "Be My Baby", I came across this weird news item: Alan Parsons Wins $5 Million In Legal Battle With Former Live Manager
    I had wondered about that (earlier article), since that band did have some legitimacy (Lenny Zakatek, Andrew Powell, Richard and Laurence Cottle, Stuart Elliott!) and was sad that Parsons seemed to burn his bridges with them (thankfully not with David Paton and Ian Bairnson, who had been touring as "A Pilot Project"), but things are looking different to me now as it seems like an attempt by his former manager to get back at AP.

Jeff McParsons likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Shaw sang Boat On The River also

Jarleboy and JulesRules like this.
  21. JulesRules

I found that out after writing my post and tried editing it in a way that corrected my error while still leaving the gist of what I was trying to say intact, but evidently it wasn't good enough. :whistle:

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Ahhh it's all good.
    I only know that because he played it live solo on his mandolin on an Aus tv show...
    It was my introduction to the band

Jarleboy, carlwm and JulesRules like this.
  23. JulesRules

There are interviews with Parsons in the German magazines ROCKS & Classic Rock. I didn't buy either but skimmed through them and can summarize a few points:

The album title refers to Dvorak, but also to the fact that all the musicians on the album except Parsons himself are American.

The concept is apparently an homage to American pop music. Which explains the presence of "Be My Baby". Parsons was asked why and he said because the original is in mono and he wanted to make a stereo version :D

(On the other hand, "Uroboros" sounds Very British, and according to the 7/10 review in Classic Rock, two tracks are reminiscent of The Beatles, so...)

While not related to the new album, I got a kick out of him talking about Tears for Fears. Specifically, it grew from a question about his collab with Steven Wilson. It seems Alan is slightly envious because Steven gets to remix so many great albums. Parsons specifically singled out that he would've liked to do The Seeds of Love in surround! "I heard he's doing Who's Next next, that's also been on my bucket list"

Which begs the question... did Parsons ever do a surround mix of an album he wasn't originally involved with? Gotta build a reputation, man! ;)

carlwm, Jarleboy and Jeff McParsons like this.
  24. JulesRules

Second single released, "I Won't Be Led Astray", with David Pack, Joe Bonamassa and Mike Larson:

25. JulesRules