New AMC Series-Kevin Can F Himself

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheSeldomSeenKid, Jun 26, 2021.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident Thread Starter

New AMC Series-Kevin Can F Himself

I did not see a dedicated Thread for this Series. Anyone else watched the first 2 Episodes yet?

Brilliant Dark Comedy based on the 1st 2 Episodes I saw last week. It is Great how this Show mixes the Sitcom with the Annoying Idiot Husband using the laugh track with Scenes shown in Color, then switches to Black and White for the Dark Scenes of what the Wife is really thinking as she plans to kill her Husband. It is like stepping outside of the Sitcom into Real Life. I do not like the type of annoying Sitcoms that this Series is based on, so it really is well crafted from what I have seen so far in the first 2 Episodes.

Trailer Link Below:

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I watched it....
    Gotta admit..interesting concept.
    Here's the first two eps. on YouTube!

I assume the 'sit-com-y' parts are in the "King Of Queens"/ "Mike & Molly" vein:
    I've never watched those shows to know....but, I hope the lead can make it work, and be believable....
    I'm not totally 'on board', but I DID love the twist at the end!

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

Based on how the 2nd Episode ended and the preview for the 3rd Episode, there is a Breaking Bad type darkness being utilized with the Oxy Storyline. It will be interesting to see how or if the darker parts of this Series crosses over into the Sitcom Scenes shown in Color with the Laugh Track.

I am totally on board as great to see this idea implemented for a TV Series, and so far seems to be well executed. Actually, recall that my Favorite Sitcom Comedy of all time was Titus, which also mixed in Black and White Scenes to portray the Dark Side of a Dysfunctional Family with Mental Illness and Substance Abuse, so actually not a New Idea, but still has not been used recently that I am aware of, as Titus was from the early 2000s.

Gumboo, marmalade166 and vince like this.
  4. vince

I'll buy that... the naive 'drug-search' DID kinda come across as "Breaking Bad"-ish!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot it’s already debuted. Finally, an intelligent sitcom!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yes, that is why I couldn't make it through even one whole episode. :shrug:

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

Hey Jerry, I just received an Alert that this Thread was moved to another Forum, as the Title is not Family Friendly. I still see it is in the Visual Arts Forum so hopefully that meant the Gorts changed their mind, as I am not sure how else I could have Remade the Series Title, where I dropped most of the F Word which is actually part of the Series Titles(with Astericks), and I even went Cleaner just using only the F Initial in the Thread Title, so at least Members here can identify this Series being discussed. If you want to change the Title(where Members can still identify this New AMC Series) to make sure this Thread can remain in the Visual Arts, then feel free to do so, as I had no other idea on how to best present the Title.

8. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Based on that title, I was hoping they had cast Erinn Hayes in the lead.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

We’re good, nothing to change, thanks! Hair-trigger moderator error, then immediately rectified. Thanks for starting this thread! I guess last week they aired two episodes, and number 3 is tonight?

forthlin and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. vince

As I posted, the two first eps. are right up there!

Jerry and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

Sounds Good. I was surprised after a week that no one else had started a Thread for this AMC Show, so that is why I started it, then again my past Threads for The Mayans(FX-One More Season to go be released) and NOS4A2(AMC-Concluded last Summer) never had much interest.

Yes Episode 3 is tonight as last week the First 2 Episodes ran back to back. I prefer my Humor Darker than most, so think I will like this Show, but not sure how wide spread appeal it will have among most others, but AMC seems to come through mostly with their New TV Shows. Looks like a Good New AMC Show starting in July, but at the moment forget the Title.

I am most likely getting Fusion Surgery in July based on a Nerve Block Test Result I am getting this Thursday(this Surgery would be 4th attempt to fix severe pain from Damaged L4 & L-5 Nerves caused by another Doctor who did my Original Herniated Disc Surgery), so will have plenty of time to watch TV(and the New AMC July Show) for a few months during recovery(should I get the Fusion Surgery). Depending on the Surgery Date, most likely will miss the July RSD Drop and 2 Titles I really wanted, but life goes on and I have plenty of Music in my Collection. The Pain Issue is a 1st World Problem over Music to buy.

Jerry likes this.
  12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about this show that seems a bit off-putting... :shh:

- Kevin

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We tried the first two episodes and both my wife and I agreed it’s not working. Why are comedies these days (is this a comedy?) so unlikeable? It’s no Schitts Creek.

14. vince

It's a tough call:
    You gotta lay the groundwork on a show like this...
    I look at it this way:
    If YOU find the 'sit-com' tropes annoying, imagine how the wife feels!
    This is the third AMC show that tried to do something a little different.
    The other two were "Lodge 47" & that Jason Segel show.

15. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

I thought it was edgy for the sake of being edgy, I got about twenty minutes in and channeled it. Annoying and tedious.

16. JohnG

I really liked Lodge 47, that one worked in its edgy way. In this new one all of the characters are unpleasant. The constant switching from Sitcom World to Dark World was fun for a half hour but gets tedious.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The title alone puts me off.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Lodge 49

19. vince

oops....but, this show is more like that Jason Segal show....in that it's kind of 'Charlie Kaufman'-lite.....
    Some may find it too cleaver for it's own good.

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

I will wait until later in the week to comment on the 3rd Episode to give others time to still see it, if they have seen it last night, but I thought it was good in moving the story forward, especially the Illegal Oxy Sales Plot Line.

21. JohnG

‘yeah that was strange. Ep 2 ends with our heroine looking for Oxy and ends up in a beauty salon that apparently is owned by her neighbor (best friend? or the husbands best friends wife) and she doesn’t even realize that.

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Conceptually, it works.

Not sure I'll stick with it past the first season, but it's decent so far.

23. I'm enjoying it. I can't quite decide if the sitcom bits are a deliberately over the top parody or if the quick format switches just emphasize how bad sitcoms have become.
    As someone named Kevin I have no problem with the title. It has been uttered towards me at some point, I'm sure!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

I think 'Kevin' was used as a shot at the Sitcoms that starred Kevin James. From what I have seen on TV Ads promoting his Sitcoms, they looked liked the typical lame sitcoms, even if the Sitcom Parts are Over The Top Parody, they mostly seem spot on. Also, how do these Overweight Slobs on these Sitcoms always end up married to Women, who are pretty good looking? I do not see that often in real life.

The only Sitcoms I watch in recent years are Black-ish and It's Always Sunny in Philly. As mentioned in an earlier post here, for Sitcoms, I Want them Darker Humor in most cases, and why I mentioned Titus as the Funniest Sitcom I have ever seen. I had not realized at the time in 2000-2001 that it was actually based on the Family of Christopher Titus, which made his Sitcom even darker dealing with Mental Illness, Suicide, Drug and Alcohol Addiction, Child Molestation, among other Topics that are painful in real life. For Old School Sitcoms, I do like Cheers.

Actually, Breaking Bad was a Dark Comedy in parts, as much as a Drama Series, as I recall laughing when Walter White was explaining the Plane Crash to the High School Kids, when he mentioned it could have been worse, as the plane could have been full(all seats occupied). The Dark Humor broke the tension on some Episodes in Breaking Bad.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Lodge 47 'er 49 was great.