New anniversary 1200 Mk7's. Multi colors!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Boltman92124, Apr 6, 2022.

1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Compared to the G?

2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes.
    It's a bit more clicky on the M7L while it's more springy on the G.
    I prefer that nice firm click.

Uglyversal likes this.
  3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!! Thread Starter

I'm really enjoying mine. I hear you on the tonearm lift, but mine seems nice and steady when it's lowering to the LP. Did you swap mats out right away? Enjoy!
    PS- I'd like to try out a Concorde cartridge myself. I'd like to use OM10/Black Diamond styli on it (and whatever conical is included). What do you suggest?

4. Oelewapper

I just left the slipmat/slipsheet in its packaging. Same for the dustcover.
    I have no use for those, so I'll keep them safe and sound in storage.
    I'm using the 3mm rubber mat that came with my 1200G.
    Well, first of all, there are two generations of concordes.
    The Concorde Pro/Pro S and all the rebrands like the Reloop Black and Tonar Banana are first gen.
    Most concordes are first gen.
    The OM styli will fit on all of those and mixing/matching those could create interesting results in terms of sound.
    However, the second generation concordes take different styli, which aren't backwards nor forwards compatible between gens.

If you're interested in experimenting, I would get a Concorde Pro S body (or Reloop Black - it's the very same thing) as a platform, with a OM20 stylus to start with.
    You can get OM30 or OM40 styli later on if you happen to like it.
    The OM10 could be fine as a stylus for beginners, but not really interesting to anyone wanting to take things seriously.

If you want to just get one good Concorde and be done with it, either go for a true hifi concorde like the Concorde Century (about 600 bucks) or Concorde 40 (about 300 bucks), or go for the current TOTL DJ Concorde (2nd gen), which is the Concorde MKII Club - or the MKII Elite of course, which is the limited edition specifically released for these M7L models (way overpriced if you'd ask me).

McLover and arem like this.
  5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

They made a gold mk2 aka Elite: Concorde MkII ELITE

6. Boltman92124

I've got a nude Black Diamond that should fit. Just ordered another one as well. I'll check these two out. Thanks!

Oelewapper likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

Idk about your place, but it's 400 bucks over here.
    For just a nude elliptical.
    Way overpriced.

8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Was just pointing it is the new TOTL. They have to charge for the mk7ltd fit. IIRC old Gold was also overpriced.

9. Oelewapper

Nah I got the Gold for 150 or 160 bucks.
    Most people who complained back then were Concorde Pro users... those were like 70 bucks, so yeah... expecting to get champagne for the price of lemonade...

10. Oelewapper

11. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Oelewapper, post:
    The only thing that bugs me is that the tonearm lift is a bit droopy - the first half of moving the lever does nothing, while the last half lifts the whole arm up...[/QUOTE]

Exactly as my GR and the M7L (and the G i returned).
    Very cheaper than my old SL MK2

12. Oelewapper

My 1200G arm lift feels just the same as the MK2/4/5/M5G I had.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  13. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Because they were not Malaysian copy...

14. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Are these still available anywhere? Was on the fence about it for too long :cry:

15. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Collectors item

16. Boltman92124

Production run was 12,000 so figure 7 colors and you got about 1,715 per color. I bet they made more of certain colors though. The deck does show the production # on the top. I got 03396 (Blue). They could always push out another batch as well.

17. Oelewapper

I opened up my M7L to take a peek inside and to improve the tonearm lift (partially succeeded).
    For those who are hesitant to open their new deck while it's still under warranty, here are some pictures.
    Remember, mine is white, so yours might look a bit different due to the color.
    [​IMG]
    Top left: tonearm assembly, with phono PCB right next to it.
    Bottom left: pitch PCB with the main PCB right next to it.
    Top right: power supply
    Bottom right: control panel with power switch
    Bottom center: popup light

[​IMG]
    Bottom cover is weighted with a metal plate.

[​IMG]
    Hmmh does that hole on the left look suspiciously like the hole to the right? :p

Yeah that's because these parts are also used on the SL-1500C that has a built in phono preamp.
    At least that's what the silkscreen print on the PCB says:
    [​IMG]
    It's just missing the components of the 1500C.
    So it's likely that you can interchange them and convert a 1500C to a turntable without phono preamp or a 1200MK7/M7L to one that has a built in phono preamp.

More pictures can be found here:
    imgur.com
    I posted an explanation about the tonearm lift issue on my M7L review thread:
    Mini-review: Technics SL-1200M7L turntable

18. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

It's my birthday :p
    Perhaps mine was built at the same date.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ultron9 likes this.
  19. Oelewapper

Yeah it’s quite impressive that these decks shipped out to us that quickly (mine arrived 1st of august).

T86911 likes this.
  20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I think I do too.

The strange thing is that at a dealer I was trying a 1500 that clicks too but somehow the action seemed like from a cheaper switch. I imagine it was that particular TT as I can't see them using a different switch in the two models (m7 and 1500).

21. Boltman92124

Not quite as simple as two wires running from the tonearm to the RCA outputs I guess! Still curious why mine doesn't like hooking up the ground wire? Perfectly silent without it and humming when connected. About to hook up a Darlington preamp shortly..see if the situation stays the same.

22. Oelewapper

Almost the same thing, but soldered onto a PCB with connectors instead of directly onto the connectors.
    Probably a preamp issue, unless you have a ground loop via the outlet (PE is connected to signal ground on these decks).

23. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I bet not re the colours but who knows.
    In Munich exibition they showed a few decks unnumbered.
    How many ww Technics stores are there anyway ?
    I have no idea if they sell in 500 stores or in 2000 ww, but not all will get all colours it seems.
    Then there's the collectors, they probably buy up all they can.

Would be stupid if they released another batch unless renaming them.
    12000 thats it.

And customers need to be patient, nobody seem to have received higher than #4000-4500 by now.

24. Boltman92124

Same result with the Darlington pre. Even more silent (as in zero audible noise). Oh well, not a problem I guess! Even the handbook on the Darlington pre mentions trying it without the ground. There was another forum member here who found the same on his GR.

25. Boltman92124

So I noticed the azimuth was slightly off with the stock headshell. Flipped it over and there was the azimuth adjustment screw! Needed the super small screwdriver (Glasses repair sized). All fixed!