Bob Dylan Studio Album: "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - June 19, 2020*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

The vinyl MFSL is the best sounding of all the Dylan MOFIs in my opinion. Yes, even better than the Blonde on Blonde.

SteveM likes this.
  2. It's the best song on the album and as I said a few days ago, one of his best vocals for 10 years, maybe 20, 30, 40......for ever?

Waymore Lonesome and Favre508 like this.
  3. Desolationrow73

Desolationrow73 Forum Resident

I think people have forgotten that they loved Tempest when it first came out, in a lot of messages some Dylan fans are trampling over Tempest but loved it when it was released, dont get me wrong you need to keep listening to it because ROugh and Rowdy is great but I think in the excitement people are leaving their appreciation for previous records behind as well.

Keep listening to the new record though because it is great .

4. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I sometimes wonder if reviews feed off each other with a critic fearful of breaking rank.

5. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Excited? It’s pretty dreary in places. Some of it is really good though. I think the excitement that it’s half decent is causing some people to really overate this.

NYMets41 likes this.
  6. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Perhaps it’s tongue in cheek symbolism?

he seems to get the last laugh on audiences.

he’s clipped lyrics & melody on this Album.

7. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

It has arrived. Time for the first non-radio listen.

G L Tirebiter likes this.
  9. After 4 hours of Dylan last night on Radio 6 and the listening party for RARW I would welcome a short break with maybe some Neil Young.........now, where's my postman?

dormouse likes this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Apparently the etching is of “back teria one oh! one” by Karl Wirsum.

SteveM likes this.
  11. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

It's a great album, but you cannot dismiss the other albums ranging from Time Out of Mind onwards. The songbook albums are great in their own right, as each album has distinctive sounds and feelings, and also has some great material contained therein.

I listened this morning on Tidal and found lots to love; my hard copy of the CD arrived at 11:00 Hrs today. I'm preferring it, though, to Time Out of Mind, but Modern Times remains my favourite.

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Best album since “Before The Flood”. It reminds me of his first album. Murder Most Fowl and Step It Up And Go. Hallelujah Jesus. Up jumped the devil down at the crossroads and my dog just keeps on barking.

Best since the Hearts Of Fire soundtrack. Waiting to get beat.

CBackley likes this.
  13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is making my head spin... even for this place.

14. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Sordel listens to Bob Dylan.

15. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

It's purchaser excitement and the SHF is really bad for it. People's packages start coming in and they instinctively feel like they have to be positive 'cause they bought it. Like the new Neil is good but flawed but don't bring that up in the SHF thread. Everyone wants to talk about recording sessions and that their LP just came in the mail and then they want to be a part of something so everyone saying albums are genius together makes them feel better.

Old Mac, NYMets41 and majorlance like this.
  16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thank you for correcting us all.

So it couldn't just be that we are enjoying something that you're not?

CBackley, eschorama, drift and 9 others like this.
  17. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I'll echo, I think this album is amazing, but I don't think it rates among his greatest works. Maybe top 10, but that's a big maybe. It is certainly (in my opinion) his best album since 2001, but I don't think it is better than Love and Theft. I'll need more listens to know if it is better than Time Out Of Mind.

Very very pleased with it however. You can certainly think it is good or great without declaring it "as good as his best." I do think it will take months for me to know where this really truly fits in his catalog. But from first blush, I give it a "very good" and set it to repeat.

CBackley, majorlance, sami and 2 others like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thanks for telling me what I think. After reading your post it's made me realise that it's daft to want to like something I've bought and get some excitement out of it. I'll start looking for the negatives in these albums instead just to please you and your miserable kind.

19. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Good to hear such positive things about Rough and Rowdy Ways. I am happy to wait until the vinyl comes out next month before I hear any of it.

luckycountry, nsm and sami like this.
  20. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I will say, I like Crossing the Rubicon more than half of the songs on Love and Theft, and that's one of my favorite Dylan albums... that's a big deal for me.

CBackley likes this.
  21. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Unless I said your name in my post how could it be I've commented on your experience? You could have just let the truth of my comment sit but you had to stand up and go "Look at me, I'm one of the people he's talking about."
    So, how do you like your most recent purchase?!!?!

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I wasn't commenting on this particular album, I was mentioning a trend at SHF.
    You people need to get out more and not live in little rooms dedicated to your consumer habits.

arthurprecarious and majorlance like this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

And there you go again 'You people need to.....'.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Well, who are you taking about? I've just purchased Homegrown and this so I seem to fit it perfectly.

Anyway, I loved the Dylan album on the radio last night. I do admit that it could be down to it far surpassing my expectations because I haven't really loved a Dylan album since Time Out of Mind and the three tracks I heard before then didn't do much for me. I only played them once each.

I haven't played the albums yet. I'll play Neil Young tonight. I'm not expecting a masterpiece as it is an unreleased album or at least unreleased songs. But it will have its moments and should be good overall. You can't really go wrong with 70s Neil Young. :)

CBackley and sami like this.
  25. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Right, the subject of my first post: PEOPLE WHO HAVE PURCHASE BUZZ. If you keep commenting defensively then I will assume you're one of those people.
    This new Dylan album is good and so is the new Neil. But are they amazing, best albums ever made? Maybe not. And maybe people want to like albums more because they come out when these people are alive to purchase them. It's all possible.

majorlance and Man at C&A like this.