Bob Dylan Studio Album: "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - June 19, 2020*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Dec 5, 2019.

1. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Interesting thoughts, thanks. Still think (even for Dylan) a 17 min opener would be a move, however bold, he'd be unlikely to take altho I appreciate the thematic link in terms of the book ending had he sequenced it that way and called the album MMF.

2. JudasPriest

This is an album where I can now safely declare that I like every track. Muses and FP took a little while to get there but I'm on board with all 10.

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

SteveM likes this.
  4. Only to be expected. Dylan is a legacy artist who only appeals to his long term fans. One critic said as much about his music last month and was unnecessarily shredded here in this thread. Open minds would know the sentiment was on target however frustrating that might be. This statistic just proves it; with all the high praise this album got, Dylan is still only saleable to Dylan fans. Once they've snapped up the physical copy in the first week there's no one left to sell it to.

majorlance, Mazzy and Darrin L. like this.

5. I pretty much agree with this. I was on a zoom conference this past Friday where someone asked me if i had heard the new Dylan album. I said yes and that I loved it.

There were ten people on the call with age ranges from about late 39s to early 60s. Only four people had heard Dylan had a new record out and only one had heard some of it but disliked his voice. There was little interest there.

I was asked about it because they all know I’m a big record buyer still. They all stream.

no not scientific but that’s where we are at in 2020.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Clive Davis discusses this very thing in his first book. He says Dylan fans and followers quickly buy a new release which propels it immediately onto the charts. And then it drops just as quickly.

majorlance likes this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

There are about 150 people at my work place on my shift. I would be most suprised if any one of them had heard a Dylan song of the past 20 years.

8. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I get that. But people can surprise you.

Back in the mid-90s, I worked for a financial reporting company. We had a copy center which was staffed by young working-class guys (basically guys like me, but without a degree) and had a lot of turnover.

Anyway, one day one of them knocked on my office door & said "I hear you're a Dylan man."

Somewhat taken aback, I said "You heard correctly."

He said "I think you'll like these," then handed me 2 cassettes of unreleased NET performances, some of which I had already, but most of which I didn't. (This was pre-Internet.)

I reciprocated a day or two later with tape copies of the 4-CD Great Dane live set, You Don't Know Me, which I'd recently acquired. I think he was gone the following week, though.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  9. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

mark ab likes this.
  10. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Finally landed from Badlands UK. CD and Promo. Don't think I have enough wall space to hang this up on :)
    [​IMG]

beartrackrecords and mark ab like this.
  11. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Just bought this record (vinyl) from his site, got the digital download on heavy rotation. Seems kinda perfect for this bizarre time(s) we're all living through...

mark ab and asdf35 like this.
  12. JudasPriest

It's a real heavyweight BD album.

mark ab likes this.
  13. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Sure, this is true to an extent, but I think it's also true that while only hardcore fans buy the CD or LP, everyone else (and virtually everyone under the age of 50 or 55) streams the songs.

A quick check of YouTube shows that every song on Rough and Rowdy Ways is freely available on Bob's official channel, and every song has at least 200,000 or 300,000 hits over the past two to three weeks. "I Contain Multitudes" has 1.3 million listens. "False Prophet" has 1.1 million listens, while the official upload of "Murder Most Foul" has 4.1 million hits. Lots of comments from younger listeners.

And those figures are just YouTube, I'm sure music streaming services like Spotify have millions more listens. Not too shabby for a 79-year old artist, in my opinion.

14. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

What is a non-legacy artist? One with short-term fans?

Agreed though it is shocking that people who don't like Dylan don't like Dylan, and people who haven't heard of Dylan haven't heard of Dylan. I mean, how dare they?

Tim :)

15. Wildest cat from montana

My daughter tells me these are amateur numbers. Some song of Adele's has over one billion listens. That's just incredible.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah, no one's saying that Dylan's up there with Adele or Taylor Swift or Drake or, more recently, Dua Lipa. But still, those numbers are very respectable.

17. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

3 More Days................

18. What? Until his next album? Wow, that's incredible. We wait 8 years for new original material and then two albums within a month. Bob's getting almost as prolific as Neil Young! ;)

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

While this is basically true, I suspect Bob’s back catalog sells as steadily as any major artist’s catalog does, and, like every other album he’s ever put out, Rough and Rowdy Ways will sell steadily for decades to come.

20. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been covered, I haven't been following this thread recently as closely as I should be.
    Did we ever find out if there's an indie exclusive version in North America?? I see Bull Moose has a gold version (and unfortunately they still won't ship to Canada!!) but I wonder if that's just the Euro version they've imported.

21. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

2 More Days...........

beartrackrecords likes this.
  22. JudasPriest

So easy to get completely lost in this album. Like all Dylan's great records, it forms its own entirely self contained universe which feels bottomless.

23. JudasPriest

Modern Times may have a smoother and more mannered vocal but for me RARW contains the most beautiful and expressive singing of all his 21st century original albums.

24. I agree. I've just completed another play with MMF included and I thought exactly the same thing.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm with you!