Bob Dylan Studio Album: "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - June 19, 2020*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" The sun's not yellow , it's chicken "

WJA and ghoulsurgery like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Thanks

Clanceman likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I thought about buying the vinyl and probably would have even
    though I'd probably never play it. The cover art is so bad it doesn't
    motivate me to spend the money. I might as well stick with the CD.

I miss not being able to browse the shelves at the local record shop.
    I'm a regular customer, or used to be until covid-19 ruined everything.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I understand not going out, but are any of them open at all? In my town, the one good used shop opened, with masks required, and they give a mask if you do not have one.

My view is that it wasn't the virus that ruined everything, but the poor response of our government.

After the digital age killed musician's income from recordings and made their income, for both superstars and local musicians, completely dependent on live performances, the likelihood that concerts may not return for a very, very long time a disaster for musicians.

In March, they probably thought it would be a short interruption. But events, from big venues to small coffeehouses, may not return for so long that musicians will have to find other work, and few young talented people may aspire to make their income from music

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Interesting that your vinyl weathers. Do you store it outdoors? :winkgrin: Actually vinyl records played with a good pickup show little to no signs of wear over decades if handled properly. Absolutely no significant audible flaws on my new Dylan LP. As for aging they will still be fine when we are all long gone if inherited by a careful owner.

Satrus, timnor, Sneezyachew and 2 others like this.
  6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have the CD and purchased the Black Vinyl version at my local store on a whim. My copy of the vinyl sounds very good, but it is warped where the vinyl was near the gatefold, because it was wrapped so tight with shrinkwrap. Even so, the warp does not affect play (it isn't that major) - so I'm just going to keep it.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think that’s a real problem with the sort of flimsy gatefold sleeves shown in one of the photos above in this thread: when they are wrapped tight with shrinkwrap, the record inside can warp. I wish every gatefold record had thick cardboard sleeves like the Music Matters, Mobile Fidelity, and Experience Hendrix gatefold albums do. I get that that’s expensive, but Bob Dylan deserves that treatment, in my opinion.

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

Yeah, the timing is certainly remarkable, and you're pretty much at ground zero at the moment - stay safe out there.

My black vinyl copy arrived yesterday, and I'm fired up to spin it later today - only have heard it the one time via streaming. I'll have your comments in mind when listening, but regardless where RaRW 'ranks' (I'm not a fan of ranking records, as they will change every time another record is spun), there's no doubt that Dylan's post-1990 output stands right with any point in his career.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Every force, even if small, affects the object to which it is applied. All organic chemical compounds decompose over time, albeit at different rates. Certainly, unplayed and untouched vinyl under constant conditions tends to be stable during our time span. To pretend that it does not weather (the term is not about climate, but about physical and chemical changes over time), is like pretending the earth would be like Jupiter.

10. sami

sami Mono still rules

The gatefold might not be to the standard of MM, AP, or MF, but I think everyone is getting a bit carried away with the 'cheapness' of the packaging. To me, it's very nice - I love the artwork and the cardboard is thick enough. I'd much rather pay $30 for this than another $15-20 for a nicer cover. As long as the record is flat and quiet, I'll be just fine with the package. If it's warped, back it goes, which is different than the old days when you had to live with it.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I assume you are actually in CA. The Zias here are open and plenty to browse through. On release day they had about 10 of the gold ones.

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

The only packaging problem I’ve had is mostly my fault ...and it’s the cd.

Unless there’s a tray, I always put the Japan paper sleeve on the cd if it doesn’t have one.

I did in this case and end up ripping the top left side of the spine...over and over. I’ve taped it up and it still rips a little every time I wrestle with getting the sleeve/cd from that side.

sami likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

But surely even CDs 'Weather'.

juanmanuel likes this.
  14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I agree with your statement. In my case the LP is not that warped that it won't play - but I could tell it was definitely because the LPs were pushed into the fold of the gatefold, then when closed shrinkwrapped REAL tight. I have to assume that is what warped the thick LPs. LP1 was more warped than LP2 - as LP1 was jammed down more into the gatefold than record two.

I know you say if it's warped, back it goes.. but I purchased at my local indie - who just re-opened 3 weeks ago after being closed for 3+months - and now he is only open on the weekends until things with the pandemic calm down. He will have to eat the cost of the LP if I return it (and I'm sure he would take it back) - but since the warp isn't that "bad" I can live with it.

slosaint, ivor, picassoson and 5 others like this.
  15. sami

sami Mono still rules

In your situation I'd do the same. Mine came from Amazon and something tells me they can absorb the 'loss'.

elgoodo and Sneezyachew like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes, especially CDRs, which are chemically unstable dye compounds. CDR dyes decompose much quicker if someone applied an adhesive label which has solvents which speed up the weathering process.

CD's are mostly affected by scratches which screw up their reflectance properties. Scratching is a form of weathering.

17. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

My vinyl copy arrived this morning and both records are warped, the second is particularly bad. I have had it in my iTunes since its release and have listened to it quite a bit, but I was really looking forward to the records.

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Yes. For awhile limited hours were kept and only a small number of
    customers were allowed in at the same time. You could go in with a
    mask, for a limited time, and then you'd have to leave so that the
    next customer waiting outside could have his turn. I didn't like
    waiting for someone to leave a bin so that I could approach it nor
    did I like being reminded my time was up before I had finished
    browsing. The game wasn't worth the candle, and I didn't like taking
    the risk in any case.

19. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

The black vinyl I got yesterday from Amazon is not exactly flat, not exactly quiet, there's a skip on one track and "Key West" is badly distorted. LMK how yours sounds.

sami likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

"Weathering" is a term that comprises all physical, chemical, and biological processes that act upon materials (both organic and inorganic). That includes from animals. So, if you let your kids play your records, that is a form of biological weathering. If they get peanut butter on your record, that includes elements of all three types of weathering.

21. sami

sami Mono still rules

That really sucks. I'll post it later in WR&C.

22. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

A little late to the party, but I really dig this album...much.

Had to replace first copy (album 1 warped; album 2 ok). Replacement the opposite, so made a combo. (amazon)

Great sound- the presence was very impressive. Best sounding Dylan I have (aside from a couple mofi's, maybe). Haven't bothered with the download as I'll be needledropping, anyway.

Good stuff.

23. sami

sami Mono still rules

Record one has a slight edge warp and a bit of noise. The sonics are fantastic.

[​IMG]

timnor, 4-2-7, WJA and 4 others like this.
  24. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Back in the day, when all you could get were LPs, I convinced myself that a slight warp was a good thing: it gave the recording a little "bounce." I never trusted completely flat records. True. :laugh:

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In musical terms, being flat is a bad thing.

streetlegal likes this.