Bob Dylan Studio Album: "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - June 19, 2020*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Nate8

Nate8 Forum Resident

I have the Fallen Angels Barnes and Noble exclusive which was blue vinyl. That pressing was great.

Bob Dylan - Fallen Angels

jlf and Scope J like this.
  2. Nate8

Nate8 Forum Resident

well the black vinyl is dead quiet and perfect for disc one but disc 2 is badly warped.... shoot. It plays but the needle is all over the place. Will try for a replacement.

3. Nate8

Nate8 Forum Resident

got a replacement copy and it's dead quiet and free of any defects except for some minor edge warping on both discs. Given the fact that i've had 2 gold editions and 1 other black copy dished, I think I'll live with this one..... The warping doesn't affect playback, just impacts my OCD.

Spencer R and gregorya like this.
  4. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

I didn’t know this was recorded at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles... is this the first time Bob has recorded at the legendary Sunset Sound Studios?

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

No. He recorded Down in the Groove there, in 1987.

Psychedelic Good Trip and rednax like this.
  6. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Quite the contrast in album quality there!

7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

That old Sunset Sound magic in effect ....

Brian Doherty likes this.
  8. E888boo

E888boo Active Member

Finally picked this up on vinyl from Amazon thanks to some vouchers, and opted for the black vinyl, however got sent sent the yellow vinyl version, not sure why, however sounds absolutely dreadful hissing and crackling, even after cleaning so sent it back.

Can't guarantee to get the black it seems even if you want it! Am in the UK BTW.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Fremer has reported that the UK pressing is better, but it sounds like there may be no hope of a consistently good pressing of this album unless and until MoFi tackles it.

E888boo likes this.
  10. E888boo

E888boo Active Member

Pretty scandalous considering the price for new vinyl, shame as it felt sufficiently heavyweight and looked flat.

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I just got the EU yellow vinyl. LP one is perfectly flat. LP two has an ever-so-slight edge warp, not enough to affect play, but, someone noted above, bad enough to affect my OCD. Still nowhere near enough of a defect for me to return the record, and nowhere near as bad as the warping I often see on new vinyl.

After a trip through the Spin Clean before the first play, there is, as you note, ever-so-faint, but noticeable surface noise on the quieter tracks. Which is a real shame, because this LP is mastered incredibly well, doubtless from high res Pro Tools files, but still a huge improvement over the highest quality Spotify stream of the album that I have previously listened to. On the quieter tracks such as “I Contain Multitudes” and “Mother of Muses,” Bob’s vocals really benefit from the vinyl mastering, with far more soundstage and air around them than on streaming. The LP presents what he’s trying to do on this album in very good light.

Shame there’s just a hint of surface noise. I wish this had been pressed on MoFi’s Super Vinyl, or Clarity Vinyl, or something other than the bizarre yellow vinyl that this EU press uses. Like several other recent colored vinyl records I’ve seen lately, such as Taylor Swift’s Folklore, it looks flat yellow when viewed straight on, but is heavily marbled when you hold it at the right angle or hold it up against a light. I have to think the weird colored, marbled vinyl is why there is just a hint of surface noise that gets exposed on the ballad tracks. This will never happen, because it’s a new album, but if Mobile Fidelity got hold of the same high res source used to master and press this and pressed it on Super Vinyl as a One Step, it would probably sound incredible.

One other quirk of this pressing is that the labels on LP two are noticeably darker than the labels on LP one. Same design, but the labels on the first LP are light yellow; on the second LP they’re dark gold.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  12. GK

GK Forum Resident

I have noticing on Murder Most Foul song where I do hear a small snirpets of “Rainbow Connection” from Muppets Movie. It is only piano and violin that portray this and I will isolating the exact moment for your listening enjoying and wonderment and consternation.

13. GK

GK Forum Resident

The Rainbow Connection by Kermit the Frog tease enters Murder Most Foul at minutes 2:08 and lasts not even 5 seconds however.

Why are there so many
    Frogs on that rainbow?
    My wives think I’m losing my mind
    I’m having frog rainbow visions
    But are they amphibious illusions?
    And rainbows look like colorful slides
    So I’ve been crazy and I choose to believe it
    I know they're wrong wait and see

Someday I’ll come down from
    The rainbow connection
    The lovers, the dreamers...and more edibles for meeeeeee.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  14. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

........I Contain Multitudes........

15. JudasPriest

16. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

17. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

mark ab and fishcane like this.
  18. JudasPriest

Coming round to view RARW and L&T are his best 21st century works and that the new kid on the block takes top spot.

19. Expresbro

Expresbro Well-Known Member

I snagged this myself. First Bob album I’ve bought in many a long year...and I absolutely love it.

If it is to be his final studio album it’s a worthy coda to a long and illustrious career.

I’ll be playing this one for a long time

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

i agree with RARW

21. JudasPriest

It takes the best bits of some earlier 21st century peaks and meshes them together.

It has the swagger, sharpness and lyrical deftness of L&T; the grace and smoothness of MT and the cinematic richness and depth of Tempest. All of which framed by sublime production values, beautiful musicianship and a rejuvinated vocal reflecting recent touring years.

22. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

mark ab likes this.
  23. JudasPriest

24. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

The cover of "Triplicate" is a reference to the cover of a 1999 gospel compilation on Rhino called "Testify!": [​IMG]
    The font on both covers is Goudy Text, a font from the 1920s, which was based on Gutenberg's bible typeface from the 15th century. The religious connotations of the design turn "Triplicate" into a kind of prayer book.

"These old songs are my lexicon and my prayer book … All my beliefs come out of these old songs, literally anything from 'Let Me Rest on that Peaceful Mountain' to 'Keep on the Sunny Side'."
    (Bob Dylan, "Time Out Of Mind" interview, New York Times, September 29, 1997)

25. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

Hello My,

thanks first for acknowledging Frederic Goudy; second, the use of a font from one album cover to another is not in itself a reference (the printer in each case may have had Goudy Text in his, if you will, case; third,

}
    “Those old songs are my lexicon and my prayer book,” he adds. “All my beliefs come out of
    those old songs, literally, anything from Let Me Rest on That Peaceful Mountain to Keep on
    the Sunny Side. You can find all my philosophy in those old songs. I believe in a God of time
    and space, but if people ask me about that, my impulse is to point them back toward those
    songs. I believe in Hank Williams singing I Saw the Light. I’ve seen the light, too.” Dylan says
    he now subscribes to no organized religion.
    September 1997
    John Pareles Interview, Santa Monica, California
    Source: The Fiddler Now Upspoke, pp. 1113-1118.
    {

{
    Then he says, “Here’s the thing with me and the religious thing. This is the flat-out truth: I
    find the religiosity and philosophy in the music. I don’t find it anywhere else. Songs like Let
    Me Rest on a Peaceful Mountain or I Saw the Light – that’s my religion. I don’t adhere to
    rabbis, preachers, evangelists, all of that. I’ve learned more from the songs than I’ve learned
    from any of this kind of entity. The songs are my lexicon. I believe the songs.”
    September 1997
    David Gates Interview, Santa Monica, California
    Source: The Fiddler Now Upspoke, pp. 1129-1134.
    {

[just different reporting from the NYT innerview]

hear fourthly

Vince Gill and Patty Loveless Perform "Go Rest High On That Mountain" at George Jones' Funeral

that being said

"
    I believe in a G_d of time
    and space
    "

that's about it really

rdd