New Bob Dylan studio album rumored for 2024

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 20, 2023.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Multiple sources in the know have pointed to a new Bob Dylan album coming out in Q1 2024. No further information at this moment, but we may as well do what we do best and speculate.

2. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Which sources?

Elliottmarx and Jimmy Jam like this.
  3. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

mcwlod, Gary_Stewart, Blurry and 40 others like this.
  4. Dan33185

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Big question is whether it will be originals or Grateful Dead songs. Seems inevitable that he'll do the latter sometime, and I wouldn't mind it, but a real followup to Rough & Rowdy would be great.

Burt Shulman, I333I, webdoggy and 8 others like this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I wonder if pulling the plug on the rotating cover song mid-tour means the latter won’t likely happen. I would prefer more original songs anyway.

7. Dan33185

[​IMG]

warewolf95, cable hogue, Sean and 4 others like this.
  8. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

This tracks since they were known to be in the studio in Q1 of 2023.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  9. Komakino___

Komakino___ Forum Resident

I really hope it is not a Grateful Dead covers album, I like that band but I don't really need to see Bob doing more covers on record the Sinatra years were enough and I probably like those albums more than most too.

Then again...I suppose Bob has earned the right to put out whatever he wants at his age and who am I kidding I'll still buy it anyway....

10. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

It was cool in theory, but listening to his versions he did live doesn't lead me to believe they'll sound any better in the studio.

I'd prefer new material as well that's true to who he currently is limitations and all. Rough and Rowdy ways is brilliant.

Burt Shulman and Komakino___ like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Just do a big live release of all the covers. No need to spend studio time on this if they already exist and his live band is as good as it is.

Komakino___ likes this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I sit in that tricky position whereby IMO I don't think Dylan has done a really marvellous album since Love and Theft, which was over 22 years ago. ........with the exception of Tempest (2012) . Everything else he has done in the last 22 years I could quite happily dump off at the charity shop

.........but...does Dylan have one more album that I might love???? I'll still keep an ear out for new material.

correctodad, Getarz, zobalob and 7 others like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I liked the Sinatra stuff more than I expected to (although I didn't need 5 albums worth of it)...I wouldn't mind hearing Bob and his band's approach to some other material as well.

People seem to act like a project has to be one thing or the other, like he couldn't make an original album and also pound out some fun covers at the same time.

Jimmy Jam, phillyal1 and Komakino___ like this.
  14. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I'm of the same opinion. Preferred Modern Times to Love and Theft, but everything after left me feeling a little empty...other than Tempest which is one of my favorite albums of his.

In any case, bring on new material! I always welcome something new, even if it's not my favorite!

15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

It is absolutely crazy to think about, but Dylan hasn't put out a full, solo, contemporaneous live album since 1984. There is a Dylan and Dead live album, but depending on how you count, it has been 35 to 40 years since Dylan released a current live album. I mean this is astonishing. His people have also reported that it won't happen in his life time. The reason is not clear.
    So all of these Dead covers, I see as some aspect of a posthumous release plan - ghoulish as that seems. I love that he's doing these covers, but I can wait.

Rough and Rowdy Ways is a triumph, I hope we get another original album in 2024. If for no other reason than he's released 39 original album so far, and 40 is a much more satisfying number.

16. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

We know how highly he thinks of Jerry Garcia….and Hunter whom he worked with

A Dylan covering Dead would not surprise….

Personally if he wants this he should cobble together something from his shows post Jerry death where he turned into “Jam Bob” and regularly played Dead covers

ARK likes this.
  17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

At Bobs age, I'm happy that he’s still breathing. I’ll take whatever he decides to put out: covers, original tunes, live, or archive releases.But hopefully not another Christmas album.

18. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Hopefully an acoustic album. Return to the mid 70s sound.

FillmoreGuy and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  19. Dradge

Dradge Forum Resident

Shadow Kingdom sort of qualifies, does it not?

20. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Hope it’s not another T-Bone Burnett production with only a single copy.

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Lazy & Hazy

I will have my eyes open and ears to the ground for this one to arrive...

The MEZ likes this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Go Bob!

Sean, The MEZ and Komakino___ like this.
  23. There’s nothing ”live” about the ”Shadow Kingdom” recordings.

Floyd8318, Wigdoor, Jimmy B. and 3 others like this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Hoping it is as amazing as Rough And Rowdy Ways.

25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Seeing as how the tour is apparently headlined Rough and Rowdy Ways through 2024, it would seem odd if he'd release an all new batch of songs (Soft and Somber Ways?) and tour under the R+RW banner. Since he's been doing a lot of Dead songs of late, it wouldn't be weird to add a few more Dead songs to the setlist in 2024 and still maintain his tour's "brand", I guess.

Elliottmarx likes this.