Bob Dylan Studio Album: "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - June 19, 2020*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

the thing did say original material, no?

Zeki likes this.
  2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm in. It's about time ol' Bob got with the program.

3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I really enjoyed them too but I am ready for an album of original material now.

4. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

It goes back to Shakespeare, so i think Steely Dan's bid for a Nobel Prize probably stalls at that point...

NaturalD and Justin Brooks like this.
  5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Mmm....I'm really hoping there is sarcasm attached to this post....those Sinatra Murders couldn't possibly be your "favorite records of the decade"....could they??:shh:

6. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

It's also in a Jimmie Rodgers song covered by Dylan.

Bink, Regandron and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. My Echo My Shadow And Me

The original post on that Dutch blog (which is one of the most important Dylan blogs on the continent – if not the most important) says new original songs. There have been rumors that there are new songs since February this year.

P.S.: I love all of the standards albums. I refuse to call them Sinatra albums, because the music and singing on those albums do not have anything in common with how Sinatra approached the material.

Solace, philly67 and mark ab like this.
  8. A bit of sarcasm but yes they are amongst my very faves of the past decade Seriously.

Solace, dbacon and fishcane like this.
  9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Which one? The artwork?

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think of them as Willie Nelson albums. But that phase of Dylan's career seems to be definitively over.

Dark Horse 77 and Blue Note like this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Never-ending Yore.

12. My Echo My Shadow And Me

I see Dylan's Shadows/Angels/Triplicate in line with Billie Holiday's 1950s recordings for Verve and her 1958 "Lady In Satin". I do not think that it is a coincidence that both Dylan's "Shadows" and Billie Holiday's "Lady In Satin" start with the same song (I'm A Fool To Want You).

But yes, as recent shows indicate, Dylan has already set his sights on different things.

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Hoping for duets with Cardi-B and Lil Someone.

14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Strong disagree here. I love those albums too, but we don't need more than the 5 we've already got. Time for something different.

15. My Echo My Shadow And Me

Cardi B doing backing vocals for Dylan would actually be pretty cool. I like Cardi's Invasion Of Privacy, good album.

16. boe

boe Forum Resident

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I heard 2 years ago from an unimpeachable source that Bob has new songs. With this rumor now buzzing, it has me thinking if the recent changes in the touring band have some connection to a recording. Since Love and Theft, Bob has used guitarists outside his band on recordings (David Hidalgo, Dean Parks, Mike Campbell). Bob Britt is a really experienced guitarist both live and in the studio. Way beyond whatever Stu and Denny Freeman could do (although it’s unfortunate that Freddie Koella was never recorded with Bob). Ditto for Matt Chamberlain. He not only has the studio experience across a wide range, but he has that “snap” that David Kemper brought to Love and Theft. I listened to it again yesterday for the umpteenth time and Kemper just drives the band with a sharp kick and crack. As been noted elsewhere, George had sort of a thuddy sound to his drums (I do think that as the band had gotten quieter in recent years - especially with the Sinatra material - George fit in better - especially with great brushwork). This is all pure speculation, but if one wanted to make a great record and the material called for it, having Britt and Chamberlain on board would be a good call. Bob doesn’t take long in the studio and those guys are consummate pros. Chamberlain in particular is in high demand and doesn’t need a job as Bob’s touring drummer unless he’s being paid particularly well, wanted to do it for the experience, or...it’s part of a bigger picture. All fun to think about. (And of course, there’s option number two: a live album.)

Dr. Zoom, Dark Horse 77, Sean and 7 others like this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

18. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Way overdue. Much too much so.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It is-for sure
    :)

21. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Bemagnus and MPLRecords like this.
  22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Re-recording of Days of 49 ?

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  23. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

:biglaugh:

24. tom willems

tom willems Well-Known Member

Thank you! What you say about my blog, is very kind of you.

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm willing to bet that the Sinatra connection was somewhat intended at least with Shadows In The Night. After all, it did come out in time for Sinatra's centennial. But beyond that first one, I agree with your sentiment.

As for the rumored new album, it would be most welcomed here! I may have been well aware of Dylan when Modern Times came out, and was even gifted Together Through Life the week that one came out, but I was only truly following along since 2011, so Tempest has been the only new album of originals that I felt like I was there for at release. I've seen him do just over half the album since it came out, including three songs again this week (and in 2014, he did all 6 songs in one show!) I've gotten to see him make good on the potential of Early Roman Kings. And transform Pay In Blood a few times over. And there was nothing quite like the one-two punch of Soon After Midnight and Long And Wasted Years before the encore break. Soon After Midnight remains in that slot but it leads now into Gotta Serve Somebody. The shows have a different character now and I think a surprisingly rocking and rolling Gotta Serve Somebody fits better than the more dramatic Long And Wasted Years, but those 2014 shows were a bit darker and more somber.

After all this time, I just hope that Dylan can deliver another album of the same quality as Tempest, a new collection of songs that will become live favorites, and maybe a classic that will remain unperformed like the song Tempest.

mike126, Sean, MerseyBeatle and 3 others like this.