New book on Plastic Ono Band album ahead of anniversary reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobcat, Apr 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Now, here's a re-issue album that I might actually buy.

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

One to go with the imagine book, right?

bobcat likes this.
  4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Honestly, that album is as ‘naked’ as it can be.
    And a big chunk of outtakes already appeared on the Anthology. What more is there worthy of release? Not that I’m not interested. It’s a GREAT album.

5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Just came across this. Sounds like the starting pistol for this year's super deluxe edition landslide is about to begin. I know that a lot of these kind of things are being delayed by events, but if ever there was a time to tuck into a new in-depth set it is now. You can get it via mail order, which is probably how most of these things are sold, and many people do have some time on their hands at present and perhaps the privacy to fully appreciate them without interruption.

bobcat likes this.
  6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

7. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

They could include the album in demo form. Every song has the demo recording known, plus a couple of demos that weren't recorded professionally.

Hep Alien and JimJimFalls like this.
  8. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

The most gut-wrenching (and best) albums I’ve ever heard. Certainly an anniversary worth celebrating.

oboogie likes this.
  9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

That hasn’t stopped Imagine from being reissued 15 times

Hep Alien and Surferghost like this.
  10. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Still no Amazon USA listing for the Plastic Ono Band book!

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I hope the book is plastic.
    As for the reissue, the only interesting outtake I ever heard is the rock n roll medley - has that been out officially yet?
    And John going into Carl Perkins' Gone, Gone, Gone at the end of I Found Out.

JimJimFalls likes this.
  12. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Must be one of the most pointless deluxe boxes ever issued. Thank goodness for streaming on that one.

13. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I think perhaps I disagree with that. It is an album that perhaps has more reason for a deluxe set than most. Yes, the story has been told before, but when you consider the sheer volume of material, recorded, written and filmed, the sessions and surrounding escapades which represent John's final statement while in the UK should be marked. We got not only a very reasonably priced box set, but also a substantial accompanying book and a new documentary. Yes, it is perhaps overkill for the casual listener, but these sets are not aimed at the casual listener but the enthusiast who likes to immerse themselves in a time and space. I don't think it was pointless. In fact it is probably time to dig it out and have another listen.

14. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I'm honestly very glad you enjoy it so much. For me, the arrangements are so sparse that it doesn't lend itself at all to hearing multiple versions. On top of that, so much of that great footage had already been released. Just my.opinion though. Cheers.

dormouse likes this.
  15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Poor yoko- she has so little to work with.

16. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That's is fine. I respect your opinion and reasoning. I merely thought that the reissue was handled well. You could pick and choose your own set essentially, book, music or video and nothing was grossly over priced really. I think it was nicely done. It is really a final collection I would suggest. The album I think does deserve the attention. There is a fine line between an immersive experience and drowning in repetition and minutiae. I think this as a project does succeed, particularly in view of the choice of elements aspect, I think Plastic Ono Band may have more issues with where to go in terms of variety and range of material, but perhaps I will be proved wrong there. Maybe there are more unseen aspects that will surface. Horses for courses. Well argued opinion is fine though and we are all entitled to express that.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Agree, but they'll come up with some fancy way of saying the new "Ultimate Mix" has brought out things that have never been heard (or felt) in these songs before.

They'll also throw in mixes and maybe even outtakes of Yoko's songs that were b-sides for Instant Karma and Mother, I believe. Who Has Seen the Wind? and Why.

We will probably get "Honey Don't" repeated from the Signature Box and lots of stuff repeated from the JL Anthology (8 of the 11 tracks are represented on JLA), with not a ton of new material. Plus it's not easy to do "evolution" mixes with this record like they did with Imagine.

Personally, I hope we get some nice pre-vocal instrumental mixes, especially for Look at Me, Love, and Why.

Who knows, maybe there's another unknown gem in the vaults. They did find a previously unknown demo of Imagine a few years ago. Perhaps there's a demo of God we never knew about, for example? Possible.

MHP likes this.
  18. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

To bring the discussion back to the book (the potential CD box set is being discussed elsewhere) ... "packed with previously unseen photographs by those who documented their lives" hmm ..I have my doubts as there has been only one photo (Yes one!) ever seen from the JL/POB sessions and that is actually from the YO/POB sessions if you want to be accurate. So unless they have been sitting on a pile on unpublished photos for 50 years I think this could be a book of rehashed and wrongly dated photos. Bob Gruen was 2 years away from becoming a trusted friend and there wasn't any UK photographers in John's inner circle in 1970 so who these people are "who documented their lives" will be very interesting to see. I really hope I'm wrong as this is a period that we know very little about outside of the music.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Very interested to see what unseen photos are included for sure. Maybe, just maybe, Ringo took a photo or two during the sessions?

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I hope there are lots of unpublished 1970 John+Yoko pictures.

21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

The album was and remains a bit of a mystery compared to the amount of self-documentation that was going on before and after by J&Y. I'm sure it appeared like that at the time as well. The Classic Albums video is great and gives us some insight into the sessions. Even aspects of the writing process of the songs are quite mysterious. When did John get the material for this album together? Where these songs written in The States during the so called Primal Scream therapy? Such high quality song writing that seems to have been as inspired as he was in India and beyond that resulted in The White Album material. The POB songs represent his next moment of equal brilliance in terms of groups of songs. This book/box set would have been a much harder task for a research team than Imagine (and further down the track Double Fantasy). Hopefully they did some great work on this one and we will get a better look and insight into this masterpiece.

22. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

I am skeptical the book means a super deluxe edition for John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. It could still be a great read though. I was lurking when Mike C started hinting at that amazing Imagine complete package a few summers ago and I am pretty sure that started about now or earlier in July. I don't know really what to expect this year. I am hopeful, but covid19 could certainly impact what is released and when.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

IF a deluxe audio set is really happening, then early October 2020 will be the likely release date so as to be near John's birthday. If so, a mid to late August announcement would be appropriate. And this will also allow a few weeks of time for Paul's Flaming Pie Archive set (released on July 31) to have the field all to itself.

dormouse and Paulismyname like this.
  24. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I just bought the Imagine book for £15 on Amazon UK, think I'll hold out on this one and wait for the price to drop.

reverendjim likes this.
  25. JimJimFalls

JimJimFalls Forum Resident

I look forward to this and think Yoko's/POB should be included

But what I really want is a deluxe Walls & Bridges

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.