New book on Plastic Ono Band album ahead of anniversary reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobcat, Apr 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Critter likes this.
  2. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

Seeing the contents, I really wonder if the Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band album will be included in an SDE.

RAZORMADE likes this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

And maybe, just maybe, Live Peace in Toronto? I only mention it because it's mentioned in that sample page. If they somehow included a remastered bluray of that show along with the deluxe edition, that would be incredible.

Alan57, joeislive, sws2000 and 4 others like this.
  4. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I hope this project is as big as Johns 70 anniversary if so we should get many things released and I feel Yoko will want to make this big and special as possibly it might be the last big anniversary we’re she can celebrate John

5. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

This is getting REALLY interesting.
    The photos are amazing and there's probably a good amount of material we've never heard of so far.

Plastic Ono Band can really make a very nice SDE. :nauga:

lordcat likes this.
  6. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Not sure why my earlier post in this thread was removed. I simply suggested that the capitalized titles in the Table of Contents of the book might be a clue as to what audio the box set will contain: three singles, both POB albums, but not Live Peace.

dormouse and joeislive like this.
  7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Mine was removed too , just saying that I haven’t seen those POB recording session pics before and hopefully there’s plenty more.

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

fingers crossed Live Peace gets included as a bonus. It’s one of the few solo concerts given by John, fits in nicely time wise, and gives them an opportunity to finally re-release it,hopefully remastered as well.
    That there’s at least a chapter devoted to it in the new book makes me feel it’s not too much out of the realm of possibility

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Live Peace certainly fits thematically, especially if Cold Turkey and Give Peace a Chance singles are included in the box set. That said, the only thing that could keep it out of the POB box is if Sean and Yoko feel like it's not that great of a performance/recording. If they don't want to highlight it for some reason, then it might not be included and remain more obscure and out of print.

Another option would be that we get the live versions of the singles/b-sides, but not the covers and not "Yer Blues" so they don't replicate the entire Live Peace album.

That would mean we get live versions of "Give Peace a Chance", "Cold Turkey" and "Don't Worry Kyoko" as bonus tracks in the POB set, but if you want the rest, you have to seek out the LIVE PEACE album.

Given that it was recorded during John's sessions, with the same band, I think Yoko's POB disc is likely to be included though, or at least some outtakes from it, if they keep the Yoko masters separate (sort of like how The Beatles keep the singles masters off their SDE's for White Album and Abbey Road but do include outtakes of the singles).

Maybe we get "Why" which was the b-side to the single edit of Mother, and a few outtakes of Yoko and the trio jamming, but not the full album?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

No, I doubt they will include Yoko’s POB album in this (still hypothetical) box set, mainly due to the fact that another label has the rights and just released a remastered version less then 5 years ago that is still easily available. The other scenario you mentioned, outtakes from those sessions would probably be more likely. As far as the Live Peace in Toronto situation goes, I think if they are going to mention it they may as well include a new version of it in the set. It’s a shame that one of the only live concerts (the first by an ex Beatle) is not more readily available, and it’s a big part of the POB story anyway. If maybe they feel the performance isn’t up to snuff or whatever, then including it as an extra disc in a box set as opposed to making a big deal out of an individual release of it would be the best way to go imo, as it will most likely be bought and listened to by people who are already fans or at the very least know what to expect. I know part of the point of the upcoming campaign is to appeal to the younger audience, that’s what the compilation of his best stuff is for ( although as I already said, it’s doubtful many of them will be buying a compilation album in 2020 when they can stream most of it for free anyway, they sure aren’t checking it out for the .wavforms ) So they might as well just include that stuff in these boxes that are bought and listened to by the existing fans anyway. And if the new fans do want to check out what he sounded like live, then at least you will have a newly remastered version for them to check out (while they continue to delay the release of the MSG shows!)

11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've received my copy of the book today, here's a look at it, including size comparison to the 2018 Imagine book...

12. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Forgot to order this. Just done so. Hopefully get it tomorrow. Any first impressions?

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Looks like this book isn't shipping from Amazon (U.S) until mid November.

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Looks like a nice book but honestly I have little need for yet more pictures of John and Yoko. There may be a few new ones but the vast majority look like well known photos (or minor variants of them). On the other hand there may be some revelations here about the POB recording sessions which would give more value to the book. Can anyone who's looked at the text offer any nuggets?

15. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I didn’t buy the Imagine one, but this time around I’m all for it because che POB genesis/sessions were so little documented at the time.
    This book will be very interesting, I think.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

17. beatlesblogger

beatlesblogger Forum Resident

18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Got the book yesterday, haven’t had time to actually sit and read it, but have been flipping through it and as expected it seems pretty thorough. like the previous Imagine book. But it does make me wonder, how much could possibly be left to include in an accompanying book in a POB box set without having too much duplication/overlap. I’d be curious to see what happens when that set eventually materializes.

Hep Alien and Electric Sydney like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.