New Bookshelf Speakers With Serious Buzz......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Interesting, though I really can't see why they can do this, where other bookshelf speaker maker's obviously can not?

I really don't worry about those things much either. I'm not buying a bookshelf speaker for subwoofer type bass, so I wouldn't really be expecting any large amount of deep bass out of them.

Most "average" music, doesn't have much below 40-Hz. and that is still fairly low.

If the speaker's sound good, that is all that I care about.

If I was in the market for a pair of Bookshelf speaker's at this price, I wouldn't have any objection to ordering a pair.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Hmm.... that's about the only thing I don't like about 'em.

A full-length rectangular grill would look classier, IMO.

bdfin, Optimize, Eigenvector and 4 others like this.
  3. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

I agree. At least the look really nice without the grille!

4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

But then again, scandinavians are known to have a better taste for design ;)!

Optimize and Grateful Ed like this.
  5. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Agree but I use without them. I actually like the white and wood cabinet versions also, but I defaulted to wife’s choice.

6. Cyclone Ranger

I dunno 'bout that.

IKEA furniture, for example, is a mixed bag. :sigh:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I never saw the attraction?

I understand the the Ikea furniture in Europe is of better quality, but the stuff here is mostly of rather low quality.

I think there are countless of other better quality option's when it comes to home furnishing's.

Manimal and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Ikea does NOT equal Scandinavian design :eek::laugh:!
    ...in the same way that McDonalds is not representative for American food (well I hope it is not ;)).

SWD, Classicrock, Helom and 2 others like this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice report, glad you like them!
    Don't worry- the bass should easily become much deeper as the woofer and radiator break in.
    Not many people report this but my experience tells me that bass response of a new speaker does not reach its peak until 600 to 800 hours or so. In fact my last two sets of speakers took over a year and a half to peak in the bass and I actually had to get rid of a set because they became too bass heavy during that time.
    I am tempted to buy my next set on the thin side so as to build in some bass margin!

displayname and ZenMango like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely. Passive radiators done right can effectively increase the cabinet volume and therefore extend the F3 response if the main driver has the right acoustic parameters.
    Not easy to get right- especially for DIY'ers but the practice is becoming more popular- Def Tech has a new line out, the Goldenear speakers, and especially the Legacy Audio "calibre" speaker sounds absolutely amazing- a stand mount with 8" woofer and two 8" passive radiators. the bass is phenomenal

apesfan, SandAndGlass and Grateful Ed like this.
  11. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

Another review of the S400s fresh off Youtube. I wish the reviewer spent more time describing the sound, but it was clear from the review he was really excited about it. Interestingly, he thought that the S300 perform better in certain scenarios. Quick summary:

- He absolutely loves them. Better than the new KEF R3.
    - S300 have better bass and imaging
    - S400 sounds bigger and more -hand action that's supposed to mean something that I don't catch but is a sign of approval-
    - Best listened to at higher volumes where the passive radiator kicks in
    - Not good for nearfield. Great for couch listening / home theatre
    - Prefers to listen to them upside down

EDIT: I also wished he actually explained why he called them the anti-establishment speaker. Yeah, it's direct to buyers, but any other reasons? These aren't the only Buchardts out there.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  12. AudioMike33

AudioMike33 Well-Known Member

13. Cyclone Ranger

Wish he would define what 'nearfield' means to him, aka exactly how close is too close when listening to the Buchardts.

14. james

james Summon The Queen

is this guy Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons?

displayname and Joe Spivey like this.
  15. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

It's difficult to take the guy serious... I rarely finish a review of his. Actually I don't even attempt to watch him anymore.

Within a minute of this review he's talking about erections while combing his cat. NO thanks.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  16. Cyclone Ranger

He reminds me more of Dave Attell... an angsty New Yorker-type.

I like his review style (entertaining/informal), but sometimes he's a little too cute/blabby, when he could be giving us more details and listening impressions instead.

17. james

james Summon The Queen

my bully instinct is kicking in, but i am more interested in the speakers....somehow

apesfan and Joe Spivey like this.
  18. AudioMike33

I think he clowns around a lot and kind of has a foul mouth that I don't like but I think he knows what he's talking about he just has a sick sense of humor but I think he does know his stuff.

19. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Yes, the speakers. Well he seems to have an advantage in that he has both pair of Buchardt and compared them. So he has that going for him. Interestingly based on the points above, he prefers to listen to the s400 upside down. I wonder the reason for having the tweeter on the bottom of the speaker?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  20. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

His Stands might be taller than normal?

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  21. AudioMike33

I don't believe they're upside down I believe the name of the speaker is facing the right way even though the speaker looks upside down in the other video that I posted.

I think the tweeters on the bottom the way the guy had them positioned I think that's just the way they go if I'm not mistaken.

I could be wrong but I believe the tweeters on the bottom and I think I would prefer the 300 over the 400 the $300 supposed to have an incredible bass.

Yes on the S400 the tweeters on the bottom I just Googled it and look at all the images of the speaker the tweeters definitely on the bottom he does not have the speaker upside down.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The tweeter is supposed to be on the bottom, that's the way they were designed.

SandAndGlass and AudioMike33 like this.
  23. AudioMike33

Exactly. But I don't think the s-300 is like that I think the tweeters on the top but the S400 tweeter is on the bottom.

F1nut likes this.
  24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Correct

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. AudioMike33

I hope this is not a double post I posted something it didn't show up here's another little sound demo of the S400.

ZenMango and F1nut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.