New Bookshelf Speakers With Serious Buzz......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlos Austin

Carlos Austin Forum Resident

What speakers are you currently using that you are comparing them to?

2. uberlyle

uberlyle Forum Resident

Surprisingly Tekton M-Lore's. Don't get me wrong, the Buchardts are definitely better in many if not most ways. For me, it was a matter of whether the upgrade in fidelity was worth the cost to me. And after listening to them the last couple of days and throwing just about every different type of music at them, I'm definitely starting to lean in the direction of keeping them. Again, I've only had them about nine days so my demo period is definitely not done.

ZenMango, PATB and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

M-Lores have also received great reviews!

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

the tektons have to win the dynamics battle, no?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. uberlyle

uberlyle Forum Resident

It is, and I think a little better at lower volume listening because of that. The Buchardts are definitely smoother at higher volumes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Zabor

Zabor New Member

Wondering about your reaction in the home theatre set up. I am thinking about using them as a 2.0 channel setup.

7. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Ill let you know when I move them over. I’m still enjoying them in my main rig.

8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

'bout how far from the back wall do these need to be placed?

And which one (300 or 400) is better for low-to-moderate listening levels? Seems like you'd need a certain minimum SPL level for the passive radiator on the 400 to kick in?...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. uberlyle

uberlyle Forum Resident

I don't know about the S300, but to my ears the passive radiator on the S400 does just fine at low to moderate listening levels. The bass is definitely not lacking on these speakers. For myself and my listening space, while not deeper, I think the bass is better than the towers I have currently. It's just tighter and more succinct.

10. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

No experience w s300. But agree with @uberlyle on the s400 observations.
    Remember ported speakers (s300) need to be placed well away from the wall, while passive radiators allow placement closer to wall. Having said that I’ll repeat my mantra - pull your speakers out into the room

11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Besides the port issues, you are going to get better imaging, if you do.

ZenMango likes this.
  12. Mario Supa

Mario Supa Active Member

Hello everyone first time on this forum. I just received my Buchardt S400 speakers last week. I was highly skeptical about buying a speaker from a company I'd never heard of in all my many years as a home audio enthusiast. Let alone from across the globe and unheard or auditioned in person as I've done with every other speaker since I got the high end bug way back in the early eighties in NY High End audio stores. I've also never owned a bookshelf speaker system in all my years as I'm an old diehard metal head. I always went with floor standers or towers if you will since my JBL L150S days to my most expensive and very large Genesis 300 back in 1998 fast forward to 2019 and a much more modest townhouse where huge speakers just don't fit my current lifestyle. Enter the Buchardt S400 and I can't say enough about the incredible sound out of these tiny bookshelf speakers. All the reviews do not come close to truly describing these gems you have to hear them for yourself. I can't say enough about the personal intrest Mads Buchardt took in the long process till actually having them delivered in my home. He is a total gentleman and extremely professional he even included a double vinyl album with the speakers. I'm sure some of you remember the Bose presentations back when they would put a curtain in front of their mini cubes and bass unit to showcase their big sound. Well Buchardt has done the impossible with the S400 it not only does sound big it does so excellent not just big. The bass is tight and articulated the mids and highs are fantastic voices sound natural instruments sound like they're in the room. These speakers are truly giant killers. The Dynaudio Forties are impressive in their own right, but in my humble opinion I think the Buchardts slay all others and if they were sold as all other more established mainstream brand speakers the likes of KEF B&W Dynaudio etc. They would easily demand a price of at least $5000 to $7000 for their performance level and I think I'm being conservative. Lastly I must say I was very disappointed upon my first impression of them I had them setup 3.5' out into my room and 2.5' away from the side walls and they had very little bass and sounded like crap. The bass was the biggest thing reviewers raved about them. So where was all the bass ? I was about to put them back in the box and email Mads saying I was returning them. But I decided to spread them out 10' from each other and about 2' from the back wall and there was the bass and wow what a bass and the soundstage I could hardly believe the sound coming from these things. They don’t like being toed in either just to let any potential buyers know. From there they are just improving in sound quality by the minute. Well I never thought I'd be raving about a little unknown speaker ever and much less at a steal of a price point that I paid for them. I'd like to give a shout out to Sean from Zero Fidelity for turning me onto these gems. If it wasn't for his great honest review on the 400s that I stumbled upon I would never had known or given these marvels a seconds intrest. A very happy Buchardt customer in New Jersey.

13. Mario Supa

Mario Supa Active Member

I've had the S400 for a week now and they are excellent speakers. In my opinion they are a steal at the price. This is my first bookshelf system as I've always believed go big or go home. But for my current situation big towers don't suit the living room and the Buchardt S400 is fantastic at what I needed them to do which is play as close to a full range tower as possible and they do to about that my guess 95% driven with separate Audio Research amp. I'm currently listening while writing this post at low volume and they are reproducing all the music as well as when driven hard. So they can play loud and soft equally good. Obviously they do have limitations and can't do large scale orchestral music, but can play just about all else to more than satisfactory levels.

14. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the S400’s. Interesting I ended up preferring a setup similar to the one you didn’t like- 4’ from the front wall, 2’ from side wall, and 4’ apart. They’ll continue to break in and improve. Enjoy!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

If anyone is teetering on these, Buchardt is offering a €200 discount right now if you pre-order a pair for June delivery. (About $226 USD)

SandAndGlass and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  16. avanti1960

good reports. lets not forget that although a new company the founder was a long time designer with dynaudio and it isnt sutprising that he has created a better sounding speaker at market direct price points. looking forward to hearing them at ACPONA in a few weeks.

SandAndGlass and Grateful Ed like this.
  17. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

Reviewers say do not point the speakers directly at you...are they bright sounding?

When Thomas speaks with his hands cupped around mouth like a megaphone...is he describing the sound?

Would these work in a small room at lower volume? Micro dynamics

Makes me wonder...although good return policy.

18. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. Are you still on the hunt for new speakers? Is the S400 a contender?

19. avanti1960

the hunt is over - my new ones are en-route to the dealer. I was looking to upgrade my Harbths and the S400s were not in the mix but I am enthusiastic about them nonetheless.

SandAndGlass and Grateful Ed like this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

What did you end up getting? Spatials?

21. avanti1960

spendor D7. i was sold on first listen.

22. sonicsstoog

sonicsstoog New Member

Bryston Mini T speakers are excellent, very live sound. Perhaps not “bookshelf” though.

patrickd likes this.
  23. MrJ

MrJ New Member

I sure hope to feel like Mario Supa come June. I ordered te S400's and CAN'T WAIT until they arrive. I'm returning to a smaller size. Right now I have Zu Omen (Dirty Weekend). They are pretty good but I felt like I was missing something. Not sure what, but giving the Buchardt's a trial. I am going to also upgrade to a Primaluna preamp.
    Anybody have experience with a solid state amp and a tube preamp?
    MJ

24. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

No experience on that but I know a few people who swear by it. PS Audio's Paul being one of them. Let us know how it goes!

25. Darlig

Darlig Member

I can only say, PLEASE DO. It sounds phenomenal. If you can have either an A-class SS amp, and/or a MOSFET SS Amp with a tube Pre it just adds so much texture! If you have a good speakers placement, and the separation of instruments and depth is already there, the texture it adds just sounds beautiful. It layers better the decay of membranes and cymbals in my opinion. Totally recommended... Try anything you trust and is available on your area I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.