New box set: McCartney I II III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 17, 2022.

1. The bitching of these sorts of releases always amazes me. Every week, month, year there are new vinyl buyers and Beatles and McCartney fans who haven’t been around long in the collecting game or new into this music and vinyl. These records should always easily be available for them and the three Macca albums have never been packaged together.

You have them ? Great, but just because you already own them doesn't mean others should not. If you’re an ongoing Macca completist then that’s your and my curse.

Cash grab? Please.!!!! Record companies create products for us to buy and Beatles related releases are always a stable commodity. There are tons of other titles to go for if this doesn’t interest you.

Same old $**** bitching every time

*imho.

2. Actually it was only $70 down from 100. with the Udiscover sale and vip 30% this last weekend. Fair for this thing

* imho

davenav, Whoroger89 and supermd like this.
  3. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Sure

John Bliss likes this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yeah, I was home sick and had more time for posting. So sue me.

5. davenav

But, it’s not pointless if you don’t have them.

And, this is not displacing anything. There’s been no announcement for the Archive project. I expect we’ll hear about that in the fall.

jl151080 and Mazzy like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's displacing anyone else in line to get their LP's pressed.

Honestly, who, among those interested enough to listen to these uneven, mostly weird albums 52 and 42 years later, wouldn't have at least one of these by now? (Not to mention they're both mainstays in the used bins, aside from the recent multiple reissues) From a purely musical standpoint, just confused by the purpose of this release.

(I also don't really think there's a ton of new fans or new vinyl people seeking out these albums specifically, sorry. I mean, if you were new to either the format or the artist, you wouldn't start here unless you just had a ton of money to burn or didn't know any better)

7. Of course he is. I know a bunch of younger folks who saw him for the first time during this tour and have checked out his recent records plus his early catalog. First streaming in some cases and a few checking out his latest records.

8. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

Is it McCartney or the record company , I. wonder who decides what gets released?

9. Exactly ^^^

davenav likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

But can you honestly say they became Paul McCartney fans on the merits of only his new music?

11. Anyone in line still has their place in line. An artist like Macca has several places booked for pressings throughout the year via UMG as other major artists do. The labels book places for new artists and catalog releases as well.

Your not missing out on your Billy Joel and Bob Jovi records. :tiphat:

supermd, BeatleJWOL and Whoroger89 like this.
  12. Of course not but they check out what new in the stores and on line and playlists are the biggest promotion tool the labels have these days. Getting the music on playlists is a huge deal.

13. davenav

Temporary Secretary seems to resonate with modern audiences. And I disagree about the worth of these albums.

Paul is on tour and his merch machine is at work here. That’s all this is. Lots of older fans are bringing their kids to the show, and this is the perfect gift for them.

If there were bonus tracks, I might be able to grasp yours, and others sense of outrage.

But, these sets will sold and gone when the fall announcements come, and no one will even remember this.

Whoroger89, Big Blue and Mazzy like this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

While this particular release has no interest for me, I certainly can see that it holds interest for others and that a logical part 3 to McCartney III.

Mazzy and davenav like this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Man, if I had kids and took them to a show, and wanted to get them some introductory Macca vinyl, there's at least half a dozen, if not more LP's I'd consider getting them before any of these three. Even Back To The Egg has aged better than them.

Just think they could've done something much more interesting if they wanted to 'commemorate' his 80th birthday or some other milestone. Even they wanted to focus on these particular points in his career, they could've remixed the first two and, I dunno, done McCartney III Re-Re-Imagined or something just so that it's something new. Just lazy cashing in on the part of the label, and it's a bit of a bummer considering what could've happened instead. His 80th seems like a great time for a comprehensive deep vault dive, no?

ARK, Choba b CCCP and Paul Gase like this.
  16. darealhighmay

darealhighmay Forum Resident

As a 20-something-year old who had friends that were super into vinyl in high school, and now has nieces and nephews and cousins that are teenagers interested in music, kids are definitely buying records. Those new rereleases of albums from the 60s, 70s, 80s? It's the kids buying them. One of my cousins enjoys McCartney's music, has a record or two. This would be a lovely gift for him.

Where this idea that younger or new fans don't go full tilt into collecting vinyl/merch comes from, I have no idea.

17. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Happy 80th Paul.

But... this is a pointless and wasteful release. Almost everyone who is interested in these albums has them multiple times. We really should not be encouraging people to buy redundant duplicate items. It is a waste of resources.

I am also puzzled by the standard of the artwork. Not a winner is it? Very cheap looking

I'm saying "no" to this, point blank. Not a single wobble on this one.

Those who do want an introduction to Paul should look elsewhere. This is not a good starting point.

However this is a free world, so if you are tempted to buy this, then go ahead.

I'm really hoping for a more worthwhile release with which to celebrate this milestone year. As others have said... London Town archive release, Back To The Egg SDE... anything really.

18. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, i didn't have any of these albums and was recently thinking about picking up 1 & 2 so i've ordered this new box set.

19. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

How many color variations of this one will there be? Should I camp on the Third Man site to try to win big with a super limited, made from recycled copies of unsold McCartney IIIs?

Bootleghofner likes this.
  20. Yeah just look at all the teenagers showing this stuff of on their YouTube and tik tok channels. I see them pop up all the time since I have a channel and showcase records. The ago rhythm sends them to me. I see lots of younger kids grabbing some of these sorts of sets

Older dudes here seem to have no clue. And I’m an older dude.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

This is made for people like you. I didn’t have 1 or 2 on CD so I sprang for the CD box. Boom, made for people like us.

The point I think people are trying to make with this is that not the box set is that bad, we just know it takes oxygen from everything else it could be released in the same time. So that I sympathize with

BeatleJWOL and DK Pete like this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

None of that matters if this set actually sells, though. And if it does, it’s not a pointless release, after all.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bob Jovi?

ARK, Whoroger89 and Big Blue like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…Jon’s distant cousin from New Zealand. Mega star over there.

ARK likes this.
  25. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I believe that Satan has some wise observations that might be relevant here.

I'll bet these sets are being pressed in Canada.

ARK likes this.