New box set: McCartney I II III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 17, 2022.

1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yes. But, it's summer. This isn't when major releases come out.

And your opinion about the albums is that - your opinion. I consider his first album to be really great, the second one, meh, and the third one very worthy indeed.

But, that doesn't matter. His marketing people figured this was an item that would sell quickly, and I would agree with that, but that doesn't make it a 'cash grab'. Every release could called that, ffs. This is a gift item, or a catch-up for those who didn't buy it the other times.

Let's let this go????

intv7 and Big Blue like this.
  2. Yeah Bob’s younger cousin :tiphat:

Whoroger89 and DK Pete like this.
  3. bward

bward Senior Member

I think the criticism here really comes down to one thing: most of the old timers (and I’m an old timer) just wanted something else.

I’m jonesing for the next Archive, or all new McProject, too. But the collector side of me is looking forward to Mc1,2,3 box. I love each album.

I also think in Archive world, the nearest equivalent to the Mc 1,2,3 box is the Super Deluxe Tug of War, with its 8x10’s and exclusive outer cover for an extra $100 over the price of the regular deluxe set. I passed on that, and never regretted it.

I would feel the same about this new set if I passed on it. But that Mc1 Apple color vinyl and the whole presentation, plus the price point, made me reconsider. And I ordered it.

I have no doubt there will be another McCartney release, with new or unheard music, later this year.

I also have no doubt it will be offered in a variety of configurations that will please some and vex others. It goes with the territory.

4. davenav

I guess I'm just an anti-vexxer.

5. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

I swear not even his PR team works this hard (and that's saying something)! :tiphat:

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Actually, many fans did wonder why the same songs were being released over and over again. My aunt was a teenager back then buying Beatle records and didn't see the point in getting all of them. Even when Capitol released The Early Beatles LP, it was a let down since many fans already had the songs.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

No, the deluxe edition will add: Flowers In The Dirt [1989], Run Devil Run [1999], and Electric Arguments [2008]... [just to cover a few things that happened between II and III]
    :nyah:

8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Well, the Flaming Pie box set came out in the middle of the summer, if I remember correctly :waiting:
    “Get Back” is coming out in three weeks from now.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. davenav

Okay, there’s an exception for Flaming Pie. But Get Back was rescheduled, so it hardly counts.

10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Also the McCartney I & II archives came out in June and Ram and Wings Over America both late May. There have been no hard and fast rules to Archive release dates, but obviously if anything is coming this year it would be late fall/early winter

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It’s the same thing as a country mile. When people say they prefer one thing over another by a mile, that’s one thing. But when they say *country* mile, boy do you know they’re serious!

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I wonder how much overlap there is in that ven diagram

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Even though they’re basically the same album, I always viewed Introducing and Early as two totally different animals.

Sargon likes this.
  14. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yeah, I agree. But back then when they were released, fans were confused as to why they were getting the same material again. No one knew anything about licensing or contracts regarding album releases.

DK Pete likes this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If they became fans I would say yes because the new music is probably all they heard.

16. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Yes, Mazzy, exactly. Wanted to write this already some days ago, but didn't get around to it.

I find it very strange when people say that someone like McCartney woudn't win any new fans. Of course he does!
    Would those marketing guys otherwise release it? Hell no.
    Ok, vinyl is not a mass product. But that applies to ALL vinyl, not only to rereleases like this one.

We should be happy that physical media is being released at all!

Do I want this set. Hell no. Do I want LT and BTTE. Hell yes!
    But come on guys, let's not always be so egoistic. And let's not question that there IS a group of young people who keeps discovering the old stuff.
    It's GREAT, it's FAB!

17. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great comments! I have the exact same opinion:agree:

18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Honestly I think people are just so so tired regarding pointless negativity, you know? Like I dunno, this thread sort of reinforces my longstanding theory that audiophiles should never ever ever be invited to dinner parties or any public events because most end up just being a parody of a parody of the Simpsons Comic Book Guy who is already a parody lol

Like man, if people have this much of a problem with a simple vinyl reissue set of three music albums, they must have a really hard time navigating life in general :laugh:

19. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

You calling me fat? :cussing:

omikron likes this.
  20. HotelYorba101

Hey if you were that fat you wouldn't be able to fit under the floorboards to begin with :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  21. CoffeePrep

CoffeePrep New Member

How many times over will you buy them?

22. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess I’m not the only one who preordered the LP set.
    :biglaugh:

23. CoffeePrep

CoffeePrep New Member

But how many of them want o to pay $200 for a boxed set of one decent record and two forgettable ones? And what nascent Beatle/McCartney fan would even start there? Why not some cheap clean used copies before forking over the fool's money.

24. Well the box set is $100 for three records and not $200 and UMG has had several 20% off sales since this was announced.

And many feel differently about II & III than you do.

25. HotelYorba101

Because differing opinions are a thing? :) Personally if I had to guess which two forgettable ones you are thinking of, I like them way more than the one decent one you are thinking of, for example lol

BeatleJWOL, Whoroger89 and DK Pete like this.