New box set: McCartney I II III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 17, 2022.

1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

He’s on tour, and picking up new fans all over the place. Why is that so hard to understand?

And limited edition RSD releases? Yeah, that’s so unusual!

Whoroger89 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

"New fans"? Well hopefully but I doubt that they are going to rush out and buy a triple album box set that contains 1 (or maximum 2) song(s) they heard at the show. They would probably more likely buy (or stream) "1" by that band he used to be in.

ARK likes this.
  3. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

People should be allowed to call out greedy, pointless releases. Or should the only two allowed reactions be « I approve » and « I am neutral »?

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Boognish, ARK, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. davenav

Well, it’s only a “greedy, pointless” release if you own them and think no newer fans should have the same opportunity.

Whoroger89, supermd, Sean and 4 others like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Is it greedy and pointless because nobody could possibly want a copy of these albums that doesn't already have them?

Absolutely nobody?

8. Sgt. Abbey Road

My issue with this post is that it isn’t pointless for everybody! You can say: „I’m not a fan of releases like this“, but isn’t ok to point out a subjective opinion as an objective fact;)

Whoroger89, PhoffiFozz and davenav like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I did see that. They know some of their audience :p

Sargon and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  10. Sgt. Abbey Road

:biglaugh:

11. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I highly doubt many "new fans" would pick up a release like this. There are better and cheaper options for the same music. This is for the completists, who must have to build a Macca III annex for their collections by now.

Sargon, ARK and adm62 like this.
  12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It kinda makes sense for the McCartney 1/2/3 albums to have their own boxset. I bought Bowie's Berlin trilogy in a 3CD boxset a while back.

13. davenav

And you know that… how?

I get all his releases. But, I don’t need it. Neither do I begrudge someone who wants it. Nether do I think it’s delaying some other release.

Sean and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  14. hollywoodswag

hollywoodswag Forum Resident

I’d be curious to know how many of the folks who are upset about this are going to buy the set anyway. The way I see it, if you’re not going to buy it, it shouldn’t bother you. I understand the argument that people would rather see more Archive Collection stuff, but I can’t imagine this being responsible for delays in those releases.

I do suspect that some people are upset because they’re completists and it’s going to involve purchasing something they already have, but the solution there is simple: don’t buy it. The most powerful vote in commerce is the wallet, and if enough people balk, they’ll stop hawking these things.

Me? I just got the trifecta in color vinyl, and as a fan of McCartney if not necessarily all of these albums, it’s still a nice way to enjoy music from someone who has brought me a substantial amount of musical joy and great memories.

15. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

I don't get the vitriol or the idea that it's greedy.

I've been a huge McCartney fan all my life, I have never bought one of his box set things. Why? I dunno. Don't care about them. I have his albums, love his music, and he never put a gun to my head.

How can something for sale be greedy? The only products that can be considered greedy (if over priced) are maybe food, housing, and medical stuff.

16. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It’s not ‘laughable’.
    You cannot expect people to know the whole catalog of McCartney songs.
    Like all, it depends on when and where the ‘lightning strikes’.
    Musicians choosing ‘Temporary Secretary”
    probably know that one because it has been a huge club hit in London years ago.
    They have a favourite out of the ones they know, which could range from 10 to 100 or whatever.

17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Or Morse Moose???

jmxw likes this.
  18. Sgt. Abbey Road

I also don’t get that point, especially in times of cheap music streaming:laugh:

Usagi75, Whoroger89 and stanleynohj like this.
  19. bward

bward Senior Member

Again with the insults.

What IS it with this guy?

Whoroger89 and intv7 like this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

....but, again, damn this forum.
    This thread reminded me that I don't have McCartney 2 on vinyl so I have just addressed that shortcoming. Every time I come here I end up spending money.:cussing:

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I love 'Bip Bop' and am neither overly cool or ashamed.
    And! ' Wild Life' is a great album.

22. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Is he endlessly going to reissue the reissues? I'd rather have new reissues of London Town, Back to the Egg or Press to Play!

Lewisboogie and crossroads69 like this.
  23. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I already have multiple vinyl and CD copies of all three albums, so this is not for me. Cool looking box though.

If there was a cassette edition, I'd probably spring for it.

24. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Just lazy stuff by MPL, but I guess they think there is a market for it.

Hopefully this is a minor summer release and there will be something bigger coming in the Fall.

25. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Others may say "cash grab," but I think this was an inevitable move. I wonder if the reaction would have been different if the half-speed remaster of McCartney and a new half-speed remaster of McCartney II was included?