New box set: McCartney I II III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 17, 2022.

1. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I will buy it for the first album and just throw the other 2 away.
    No big deal.
    :doh:

2. bward

bward Senior Member

100% agree

3. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Do we really need another way to purchase the putridity of McCartney III. Bring on the Archive editions of LT and BTTE. Pretty please

4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

So something I feel compelled to say here.

I too am questioning the purpose of this release. Being a megafan, there is nothing enticing me to have this.

However, I need to stop with my own shortsightedness and so do all the people raising a stink about this release.

Here's why and get ready because this is the plainest reason for you all to stop your b.s.'ing...

In the scant few days after the announcement of this release I have read of aeveral people on this forum alone that state they do not have all three of these album and see this as a great chance to get them. It is a chance for them to explore Paul's music for the first time.

Yes, that's right. Not everyone on the planet already owns every Paul album.

New potential fans are being born daily and new people daily are wanting to experince Paul's music for the first time.

So if you don't want this, fine. But don't take a crap on this release. Instead, why don't you be an actual decent person by embracing and welcoming these new fans who want to buy this because they want to have these albums for the first time.

Do you remember when you heard a Paul album for the first time and loved the experience? These new buyers deserve that experience too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    John Bliss, Sargon, jmxw and 10 others like this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Putridity? Man this thread is really turning out to be... something

Sargon and Whoroger89 like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The artwork for the slipcover is actually pretty in tune with Ed Ruscha artwork (he did create it after all). 3 rows of 3 letters for 3 albums.

I wasn’t very familiar with his work before McCartney III but I’m a fan now. Cool stuff

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Everybody has this material already right?
    Or have the first two and picked up the third one for 99c in Oxfam.
    Next topic.

9. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

The material just isn't good enough to warrant a box set....

:hide:

ARK and Karate Chop like this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's not just as good as anything McCartney has done solo, Maybe I'm Amazed is as good and better than some Beatle songs!
    It is to those who like this musical direction from McCartney!
    For the most part I can't stand these albums, I've said many times I think they are the worse albums of McCartney's ENTIRE CAREER, but that's still only my opinion!
    Even so, I don't understand anyone wanting to DENY and DISCOURAGE others the chance to discover this music?! I would never ever say any album doesn't deserve to be released, and I most certainly wouldn't tell anyone that the music isn't good enough for them, let them listen and make their own decision!
    So as I said, for those who like this musical direction from McCartney, it's a wonderful gift!

ARK and seacliffe301 like this.
  11. UnderTheFloorboards'66

Does anyone seriously believe this boxset in particular, considering how mixed opinions are on the albums themselves are marketed towards anyone but diehard McCartney fans? In which case they are redundant and a cash grab-- preying on bad consumer habits. These aren't the albums you recommend to potential McCartney fans, and for those that wish to delve deeper into his discography they now have the amazing benefit of streaming-- which is what I recommend over this overpriced boxset. I don't know why so many people in this thread are perfectly okay with companies taking advantage of people practicing bad consumer habits, it sets precedent which eventually effects every other consumer too.

wino14 likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As I said earlier in this thread:

ARK likes this.
  13. UnderTheFloorboards'66

I understand and I partly agree, but to make these companies and artists out to be blameless is actually quite concerning. The amount of effort people have made defending and excusing subpar products like this on this thread is staggering.

Karate Chop likes this.
  14. HotelYorba101

I think for me, potentially redundant product or not, the amount of people so genuinely upset over this release has me wondering if the pandemic has made us all overly cranky about everything no matter how non-important..... or if it is just Beatles fans doing what they do best :laugh:

supermd likes this.
  15. UnderTheFloorboards'66

I've seen worse and over much less on this forum. It's just what we do. :(

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The thing is, it’s a subpar product.. in your opinion, but products aren’t released with only you in mind.

Many many people, (me included) like these three albums and either don’t have them on vinyl already or just like them collected in a set .

I try to keep in mind that the world doesn’t revolve around me and what I like and what I want.

People may be defending and excusing this product .. because they like it, so it’s actually not very concerning at all.. to me anyway.

Sargon, Who Cares, omikron and 4 others like this.
  17. UnderTheFloorboards'66

If that were the case, you'd do the more thoughtful consumer a favor and not buy redundant products like this. It only sets a bad precedent and emboldens these artists and companies to release even more abhorrent and unnecessary cash grabs.

adm62 likes this.
  18. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

If some one wants it good for them. It looks like a nice set of three very good albums. I think I have listened to II a few hundred times. I thought McCartney I was okay and III was very good.

Me I'll skip because I have three in various formats . I am sure not everyone owns them and this might be an entry point for them. I hope they enjoy.

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Just love the way JUDGEMENT is passed on to others! So you know that the people who may genuinely want these albums are practicing so-called BAD CONSUMER HABITS!

jacden likes this.
  20. UnderTheFloorboards'66

It is what it is. I'm really actually blaming the artists and companies that take advantage of these bad consumer habits. It's only when these misguided consumers defend these artists and companies and their predatory practices do I actually pass judgment on them.

21. Glenn Christense

Huh? How are the people who want these albums practicing bad consumer habits ?
    What am I missing here?

I’m not being snarky, I’m not understanding your point.

Just reading your post above, are you assuming people can’t think about the pros and cons of a product and are hoodwinked into buying them?

If consumers like a product you don’t, they’re misguided?

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I didn't make the point, I'm just responding to that point! I don't agree with such a viewpoint at all because we could direct such a view at EVERY SINGLE COMPANY ON EARTH!

23. Glenn Christense

Yeah, I lumped your post in with his.
    My apologies to both of you.:wave:

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  24. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I bought a set. I do feel bad about it if that helps.

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No harm done!
    I totally agree with you, people who may genuinely want these albums aren't in any way practicing so-called BAD CONSUMER HABITS! I think most are ADULTS and can think for themselves!

Glenn Christense and PhoffiFozz like this.