New cart advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ktg807, Sep 23, 2022.

1. ktg807

ktg807 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's about time to change carts. I have a Sumiko Blue Point No 2 and I'd like to at least stay at the same level.

What would be equivalent or slightly better? I'm looking to stay in the $200-$300 range.

Setup:
    TT: Pro-ject The Classic (carbon tonearm.)
    Phono Pre-amp: Schiit Mani
    Pre-amp: Schiit Saga+
    Amp: Schiit Vidar
    Speakers: KLH Fives

I could get the Blue Point No 3 but I'm interested in mixing it up.

Would the Ortofon 2M Blue be in the same class? I just want to make sure I don't downgrade.

2. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Vm95ml or vm540ml if compatible, compliance wise etc.

bloodlemons and ktg807 like this.
  3. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Audio-Technica carts in the same price range as the Sumiko with Micro-Line styli are going to give you more detail and focus from further down in the groove. I personally am a big fan of that type of stylus in general. They can potentially pick up more surface noise than an elliptical, but if your record is clean and in good shape, it's a very rewarding stylus.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

You can get a Nagaoka MP-200 for $300 from some Japan sources, that would probably be a nice change from the Sumiko... Nagaoka Phono Cartridge MP-200 Audio Accessory Collectible

The Denon DL-110 is another highly regarded cart in that price range, it's a HOMC like the Sumiko. It's gotten pretty expensive via US sources, but can still be bought via ebay from Japan sources for around $240, or around $200 direct from Japan merchants.

You could also skip the 2M Blue and step up to the 2M Bronze with fine line stylus for under $300 from Thakker.eu, or the Goldring G 1042 for just a few dollars more, and that has the advanced FG Gyger S stylus.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Oelewapper, Cyclone Ranger and ktg807 like this.
  5. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I have a blue point 3 and love it. However, I'm thinking of switching to a either a Goldring 2500 or a Goldring Eroica . Fancied something different myself.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What is the effective mass of the tonearm?

7. ktg807

6.0 g

8. ktg807

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  9. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Nagaoka MP-150 or MP-200. :thumbsup:

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

11. Davey

There are a LOT of Nagaoka fans around here. One thing that sets it apart nowadays is the boron cantilever, hardly any of the MM/MI carts have anything more exotic than aluminum tube cantilevers anymore. It's just a regular nude elliptical stylus, but many people just like the natural sound they get from the MP-200. I don't have any personal Nagaoka experience though (I'm pretty much all LOMC carts), so definitely do your research, but I think you'll find it's a popular choice :)

bloodlemons likes this.
  12. ktg807

patient_ot likes this.
  13. bloodlemons

Not to hijack the thread, but is the Gyger stylus all it's cracked up to be? I didn't even know about them a few months ago and now they seem to be everywhere (confirmation bias, I know!)

14. Davey

Well, Fritz Gyger makes a range of stylus cuts, and has for many years, they are still one of the main sources of stylus diamonds and used on some of the most exotic cartridges. Ortofon is a big user, along with Goldring and Audio Note and many others (Benz Micro used the FG stylus on their carts for a few years too, but I think they changed around 2010 to Namiki MicroRidge due to better consistency). The Gyger-S is one of the lower cost variants, but is still quite advanced with a 5um tracking radius, and a pretty extended contact radius ...

[​IMG]

bloodlemons likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They've been around for a long time and are a very extreme cut. The cart I had with one wasn't my favorite and I moved back to the ML/MR. Not saying it's bad or anything just not my personal preference.

Soundslave and bloodlemons like this.
  16. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

The Goldring 2500 is a bit expensive but amazing. Recommended. :thumbsup:

Btw, I believe these are made by Nagaoka for Goldring.

Mark Shred likes this.
  17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Europe factory fitment Ortofon Quintet Red
    [​IMG]

18. bloodlemons

That is good info. I picked up a MC cart (can't remember which atm) along with used table, and I've been looking into getting it retipped. The retipper (same guy on eBay everyone uses) was strongly suggesting the Gyger cut. Somehow that was the first time I'd ever come across it. I will probably try the cut on something with a replaceable stylus before committing to it on a MC.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Well there are a few retippers on eBay that also deal directly from their own sites or via email. But yeah, the Gyger cuts are very popular with some retippers. The most common one used by retippers that I have seen is a 5/75um profile, which is typically mounted on a cantilever with an upturned "spoon" shape.

The Gyger-S is different, and is often mounted on a straight, angled cantilever with no upturn at the tip. If you look up Gyger stuff on Google Patents, you can see some detailed illustrations including proposed mounting.

Other than the Ortofon OM40, some of the Goldrings like the 1042, possibly one of the Garrott carts, etc. I'm not aware of too many other replaceable stylus MM/MI carts with Gyger styli.

bloodlemons likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

FWIW if OP is not too picky, I think a lot of the suggestions up thread could work. OP could also look into getting the Blue Point retipped. One guy works on a lot of those and often posts retipped and repaired examples on social media.

ktg807 likes this.
  21. ktg807

Thanks, I'll likely go with the Nagaoka MP-200. I'll be looking to see if I can get a trade-in deal somewhere.

The wealth of knowledge on this board is invaluable. Thanks everyone!

Mark Shred and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  22. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I've had two Goldring 1042s which have Gyger's and can confirm they are an amazing Stylus. I've heard they can VTA needs to be bang on and the set up perfect, but I had mine on a Rega P6 with no shim and I've never heard a better tracking stylus. Very little background noise too.
    Well worth buying g a cart with one on. I miss mine !

23. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

Goldring 1042 is very fine cart.
    For me, very "musical" cart but the RPM3 is hard to set accurately to pull out the best from this fine/amazing cart.
    I use the equivalent Transrotor Occello (made by Goldring) on my ProJect RPM3 with Carbon S arm (+ aluminium inside ! ), when setting is fine, the sounding of good records are at top.
    The Carbon tonearm can be adjusted in heigth, but the VTF is hard to set (with digital scale, 1.75g).