New Cart choice! Shure V15V w Jico SAS, or Nagaoka MP-150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

But not on stylus cantilevers. Boron's the high end replacement, and ruby and other gems common on nicer nude styli.

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I think you're correct about the +0.25g compensation for the brush. There are many posts here and on other audio forums that support that figure and I believe that's the amount I settled on years ago when I used my Jico SAS.

3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You said "they couldn't get it" - they can. Something else was the reason, they just won't tell us the truth.

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Jelloalien and ThorensSme like this.
  5. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great! My printout that came with the stylus has very similar information, minus the brush tracking weight info.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Who today manufactures a stylus cantilever with Beryillium? I know of nobody who has one in current production. I know of Boron, Ruby, and Sapphire on high end, nude mounted current higher end styli which are currently offered. Audio-Technica also used to make styli with Beryillium cantilevers, they don't currently offer any and haven't in some years.

7. Benzion

I didn't say "cantilevers", I said "beryllium is still used in audio". Example - Paradigm Persona line of speakers, with beryllium drivers. So, whatever their reason for stopping to make beryllium cantilevers was - it wasn't lack of beryllium. What it was - we will probably never know.

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Today I ordered the limited edition Zirconia cantilever SAS stylus for my Shure V15Vx. I'll report back about its sound when it arrives.

clevice, ThorensSme and SteelyNJ like this.
  9. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

To the OP: I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I chucked my worn out Ortofon Quintet Black, which I loved, and rediscovered how really excellent the V15 IV/JICO SAS is. In fact, I'm just as happy with it as anything I spent $$$ on. I ordered two spare SAS and I'm going forward with vintage MM only, Shure and Pickering XV15.

macster likes this.
  10. clevice

clevice Well-Known Member

Hello

some time has passed

already have feedback, limited edition Zirconia cantilever SAS stylus

I bought the Shure V15-IV used in Portugal today

and bought this one from Japan, VN45he-sas-boron

VN-45HE SAS/B – JICO

I am waiting for it to arrive, it will take weeks

thank you

From PORTUGAL

:righton::righton::righton::righton:

11. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Oh, we do know:

Berylliosis - Wikipedia

clevice likes this.
  12. Benzion

So, you think Paradigm is callously endangering the lives of its employees by making them produce beryllium drivers even today? There have always been safety procedures in place, and still are.

13. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Manufacturing the cantilevers involves a lot of precise manual labor (e.g. drilling mounting holes) that may be difficult or expensive to perform under safe conditions. Maybe the situation is different with manufacturing speaker drivers.

14. Benzion

Shure abandoned all cartridge manufacturing, regardless of beryllium cantilevers. They could have continued with aluminum, but didn't. So I honestly don't think beryllium was the main reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.