New cartridge for my SME arm?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I have an Ariston Audio RD11 turntable with a SME arm. I think it's a "Shure" SME arm. Apparently it was made for Shure cartridges so logic says "Buy a Shure V15!".

I have a Shure on there now and it sounds pretty good. I am thinking of upgrading to a V15. Makes sense and the top of the line cart. is supposed to be pretty good!

But does anyone have any experience with a SME arm and alternate cartridges that they could share? Is there something better out there that will match?

Thanks!

2. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

I have a SME 309 tonearm that I have enjoyed for over 10 years. The SME tonearms prefer welterweight cartridges, i.e., about 8.0 grams. My current set up is with a bantamweight Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 1000 and it is not a good match as I cannot dial in the recommended 2.0 gram tracking force. The weight of the Monster AG is listed as 4.2 grams in the owner's manual.

However, I like the sound of the venerable Monster so it is a compromise I can live with. I am reluctant to replace it because most of the cartridges I have heard over the last five years are very "zippy". Granted, the Monster AG has been around for about 15 years and is no longer in production, it still sounds good to me.

The following are more general and are not specific to SME tonearms.

As for recommendations, almost any cartridge is synergistic with the SME. If you like the sound of MM, and you like the Shure sound, get the V15. I have never heard the V15 , but a colleague of mine thinks that cartridge is zippy. He thought the Grado carts are zippy too. He preferred the Fulton cartridge, but that has been out of production for about 20 years.

Depending on the amount of money you have to spend, you might want to look at the Audio-Technica 440 ML ($100), Shure M97E ($100) Denon DL 103 ($200) or the Stanton 881S ( a favorite of Doug Sax back in 1980).

For some more info try these two sites: Salvatore or Moving Coil.

A good article to read regarding cartridges in general is in Stereophile 1987, 10 (5), pp. 109-128. The article is 15 years old, but it gives a description of what to look for in a cartridge.

BTW, the "King of Bass" reproduction for cartridges in my opinion is the SME V. It is extremely pricey at around $3200.00, but to my ears, it is the best thing out there. I probably won't buy one unless I am able to grow a money tree.

3. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I have a SME 309 on a VPI table; I've had a Grado Sonata Reference on there and I love it. Just beautiful in the midrange, lots of fun. Only problem is the Grados tend to pick up a hum when they near the center of the lp (meaning they tend to hum when getting close to the VPI motor). An outboard motor would solve this, but it's not loud enough to be distracting, so I've left it alone. I believe that this humming is unique to the VPI/Grado combination, but I may be wrong.

Bottom line: Grado Reference series are worth consideration, works great with the SME. My Sonata was about $500 I think. (Few years ago, I should start shopping again myself!)

Interested to hear what you end up with, good luck!

Michael

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

It also occurs with Systemdek IIX's also.

5. Ben

Ben New Member

You know - and this has always mystified me - with all the talk and endless devotion to purifying the sound that reaches our ears, I have never understood why a "hum" from a particular cart could possibly be acceptable in any way - especially when the price and care of acquiring a system is taken into account.

Why would one volunteer a component part of the equation willingly to a negative factor?

Especially when alternatives are available?

I mean, if you're going to spring for the dough...it's gotta be right - right?

6. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Simple: because the Grado cart sounds really good!

The hum from this cart is very subtle, I don't notice it unless I make a point of listening for it, but yeah, it is there. However, I see (high-end) audio as being filled with compromises and trade off's. Not just for vinyl, but for most componets. The good news is that you can very often aquire a very musical system, even with some (small) trade offs.

You'ld agree with that, right?

And listening to vinyl isn't really "pure" is it? I mean it's a physical or mechanical process, and my intention is to listen and not be aware of that, to get lost in the music, and forget that I'm listening to a recorded performance. I'm able to do that with my Grado cart.

That's why this is a (public) forum; to share alternatives. This is mine, what's yours?

This is my experience; it is right, and it works good for me. The next person might have a different suggestion or thought. And most of the time I learn something from the next post. That's why I'm hooked on the Hoffman forum!

Michael

7. Ben

Ben New Member

Cool. I'm hip to your position....was just musing on it.....take care.

All the Best,

Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.