New cartridge for Technics SL1500C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RS2099, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Currently running the 2M Blue myself, and experimenting with two other phono preamps in addition to the built-in. My preference from least to most fave so far:
    3. Schiit Mani- highest noise floor, good sonics although midrange a bit recessed. Soundstage very wide but lacking in height/depth.
    2. 1500c preamp- absolutely dead-quiet, better sonics/midrange than the Mani. Good separation of instruments with height and depth of soundstage.
    1. Lounge LCR mk3- very slight noise w/no signal but not noticeable during playback. Superior sonics and image.

Saving up $ to get the complete KAB 1500C upgrade package.

Rick58 and Reesdog like this.
  2. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

The on board phono is very good, especially if matched to the 2M Blue. I really like it with the 2M Red for its drive and excitement. However it can be slightly overbearing, especially with some female vocals. This is where the Blue is supposed to be smoother. The Blue should be a very good match.

Sterling1 likes this.
  3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Good eye!
    I'm really pleased w/ both of the Yamaha's I've bought recently. Their universally positive praise is for good reasons.

4. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I have this one.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Technocentral likes this.
  5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Thats new to me, thanks for explanation.

6. Madison Mike

Pulled the trigger on the mod package :agree: I'll report my impressions of it. Going to put on the Super OM30 first and run it in, tweak the VTA. Then install the damper which will obscure the VTA gauge view.

Rick58 likes this.
  7. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

The VTA gauge is hard to read at the best of times. Just use plastic shims which are available for pennies and are accurate to 0.5mm. I slide them between the bottom of my KAB damper and deck. Depending on turntable mat thickness my 2M Red is a 7mm gap whereas most of my other cartridges are a 4mm gap.

Madison Mike likes this.
  8. Madison Mike

I have it set at 4mm with the mat I am using. We shall see what is needed for the Concorde-style cart body. Interestingly the VTA was not adjusted correctly for the stock 2M Red at the factory. It was set at zero mm.

9. Madison Mike

So far so good, actually a huge thumbs up. Cart is fantastic and the damper really cleaned up and focused the sound. Ran the cart for a while first to get a taste of it. Much better than the 2M blue and significantly less surface noise; have not yet heard any IGD. Did not have to change the VTA which by the way you can still see the height gauge by looking under the damping trough. Installed the damper a few days later and everything just came together. Overall there is more detail and focus, very smooth, clean, and non-fatiguing. Hate to use the cliche but a veil has been lifted. The IC and record clamp are also nice and were basically throw-ins with the package discount. Highly recommended.

Oelewapper, aunitedlemon and Big Blue like this.
  10. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Hi, whats an IC?

11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Go for the Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML. That one is great and not expensive.

Rob6899 likes this.
  12. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Concur.

13. Madison Mike

interconnect

14. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Cool. thanks for clarifying.

I was thinking "Inter Cooler? i haven't seen a Charger on my 1500C?" ha ha

Madison Mike likes this.
  15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Integrated Circuit.
    Another word for "chip".

Rob6899 likes this.
  16. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Free chips with a KAB upgrade kit?

UK or US chips, either way that's a win

Oelewapper likes this.
  17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ha classic pun! :righton:
    Chips, chips or chips...

Btw, until I joined this forum I only knew IC as acronym for integrated circuit and intensive care.
    Even though they’re English words, both are part of the Dutch language as well.

Rob6899 and RS2099 like this.
  18. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I saw those on Ebay would be about 115 instead of 200 to Ireland for the KAB, am tempted, aluminium it says on the listing?

Rob6899 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have a Technics SL-1401 and used the Ortofon 2M Blue for years and just yesterday I put on the AT540ML cart and I'm blown away. What took me so long to make the switch?

The difference was immediate and it was not subtle in the least. I think the cart pairs perfectly with the Technics and I've got it dialed in just right, tracking force 2.0 with the anti skate at 2.3

The only thing is that the cart isn't as forgiving as the 2M Blue when it comes to older LP's that are a bit worn, it can be very revealing of pressings that aren't great.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  20. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I usually set AS lower than TF, not higher.
    It can be difficult to find right setting.

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

I did that test where I put on a blank LP and put the cart at the end of the LP closest to the label and found a setting that slowed the cart down as it made it's way to the label and that was 2.3. Anything lower made the cart move faster towards the label, and the sound is really excellent.

ubiknik likes this.
  22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

One of my kids bought a new album (Wallows, not bad!) that is in new condition but does have one skip on side one. Just a pressing defect. At any rate, I played the track a few times and discovered the 540ml made it through the skip fine at 1.5 AS with 2g VTF. At 2 AS it skipped. The affect of anti skate varies across the LP side. There is no exact science. Must be done by ear. Turntable used is a 1200 Mk7.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very true, it will vary across the LP, but from what I have read it's all about finding that compromise for the overall experience. I've also been told a good rule of thumb is setting the AS at half a gram less than VTF, which in my case would be an AS of 1.5. I'll leave it at 2.3 for now and see how it goes.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you don't see any cantilever deflection to either side, especially if it's a higher compliance cartridge, you're probably in the good zone. Anti skate doesn't affect sound quality nearly as much as alignment IMO. Using proper AS probably extends stylus life by not wearing out one side of the stylus more quickly. Another thing I look at is if the stylus drops smoothly into the lead in groove without sliding down too quickly.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

For those of you using the At-VM95ML on your 1500C, what setting are you using for the tonearm height? Looks like 3 is recommended in the manual for a cartridge height of 17mm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.