[New cartridge] more cracks&pops on one channel

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soulboogaloo, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulboogaloo

soulboogaloo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I just changed my cartridge for a Dynavector 20x2L (MC, low input). It's mounted on my Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 TT.
    I used a protractor to align the cartridge. It sounds really nice, and the balance between the 2 channels seems right. However, I've noticed that I can hear the cracks and pops (for instance at the very beginning of the record) only on the right channel, virtually nothing on the left one.
    Does it have something to do with the azimuth setup? I haven't touched the azimuth settings, cause I'm not really comfortable with how to set it up properly...

By the way, that's the case no matter which record I put on the platter!

Thanks for your help and tips !

2. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

anti skate incorrectly set?

3. soulboogaloo

yes, at least it looks like! Actually the anti skate settings are quite basic on the Pro-Ject TTs : just a small weight hung by a nylon wire, and only 3 different positions (threads) where to hang it according to the downforce adjustment...

4. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

other things you can check is if the table is completely level..

5. soulboogaloo

Thank you guys for your answers, so anti skate it was... well at least probably.
    I found on Youtube a video explaining how to check the anti skate by putting a CD on the platter, and the stylus directly slipped to the spindle! So I managed to find something a bit heavy to add to the existing weight. I added some kind of metal tube and voilĂ ! The stylus stayed in place on the CD!
    Now I still hear more the cracks and pops on the right channel than on the left one, but the difference is slighter than before, so I guess I'm quite done.
    But isn't it strange that the existing weight was not heavy enough? In the 3rd position (for people who know the Pro-Ject TTs), it is supposed to be adapted to a cartridge downforce of 20 mN, which is the case of my cartridge...

6. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

That does sound strange. Glad you're on the right track though.. Check to make sure the table is level too. This could also be part of your issue and why you may need to add more weight.

Good luck! :)

7. soulboogaloo

Yes, thanks @jmczaja, I forgot to mention, but had checked with a bubble level and the table's level was ok!

jmczaja likes this.
  8. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

maybe your new stylus has another shape? could be that it rides in another (noisier) part of the groove.

The method you describe reminds me a lot of the "blank disc" method. It's a highly disputed method for setting correct anti skating.

I strongly recommend a test record for setting the correct anti skate. ( you have some very nice gear, it will be well worth it)

9. soulboogaloo

@shadowlord : thanks for the advice! Actually I've already ordered a test record, the Ultimate Analogue one, I'm waiting for it!

shadowlord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.