New Cartridge Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyberius, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyberius

Cyberius Member Thread Starter

My current setup is a Pioneer PLX-1000 with an AT-VM540ML and a Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp.

I am considering a cartridge upgrade as my VM540ML has gotten a lot of use over the years and I am ready for a change.

My budget would be around $600 and I am curious about my budget being what it is if an MC cart is even realistic. Should I stick with MM or is MC a possibility?

Cheers!

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I don't know whether the Pioneer or the Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp are up to the task, that's your decision, but the best cartridge I've heard under $600 is the AT-OC9XML for $549 retail (last year it was $466 with AT discount). On a good table, into a good preamp, it really shines, tracks extremely well, flat response, with a very natural and colorful soundstage. Doesn't really call attention to itself, just makes music.

The only caveat is that it is relatively high compliance so you want to keep the tonearm effective mass on the low medium side, but so is the VM540ML, they are in the same range.

JackG, Cyberius and PooreBoy like this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

If it were me, I'd consider the other direction, if you don't want to simply replace your 540 stylus, to the VM95ML.

4. Cyberius

Cyberius Member Thread Starter

This is the exact cartridge I was looking at but I had my concerns about my setup as well. The vm540ml works beautifully with my turntable and phono preamp so if they are in the same range would it be possible the OC9MXL will perform similarly?

bever70 likes this.
  5. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I'd look at the Hana EH/EL for under your budget, or for a little over your budget the Hana SH/SL. Outperform their price points big time.

6. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

The Denon DL-301mkii LOMC @ $400. High compliance and a good match for your 12 gr. arm. Detailed, musical and smooth. @ 10.25 resonant frequency, it's right in the sweet spot.

7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

They should be in the same range, both seem to be in the mid 20s for compliance @ 10Hz based on measurements.

Resonance will likely be between 7 and 8 Hz, as you say it is a fairly high compliance MC cart, probably around the same compliance as the AT-OC9XML mentioned above, maybe ~24cu @ 10Hz. Should work OK, pretty popular combo with the similar weight Technics arms.

Slippers-on likes this.
  8. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

+1 I love mine.

MCM_Fan and Slippers-on like this.
  9. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I also have the Denon DL-301 MKll. It also would give you an excellent presentation, with a little warmer but detailed presentation.

bever70 and MCM_Fan like this.
  10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

@Cyberius definitely try a Denon mc cart (like the one mentioned above) !

Cyberius and MCM_Fan like this.
  11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Can't go wrong with Davey's AT-OC9XML and my AT33PTG/2 is pretty awesome as well (although I use a VM95ML as my daily ride so go figure).

I really enjoyed my DL-301 MkII until it wore out but now that I've lived with a couple Microlinear carts I'd be reticent to go back to a less advanced stylus profile.

Cyberius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.