New Chicago box - remixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

I was listening to Robert Lamm yacking during the pledge breaks of the PBS Soundstage show last night and thought I heard him say that the new box set (i.e. "Chicago: The Box") was remixed from original multi's.

Anybody have the set? All remixes? Some remixes? Confused musician's syndrome and no remixes?

2. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

No remixes. Unless he's referring to the single remixes from the Full Moon era, but I doubt that.

3. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Guess the box wasn't expected to sell that much, so dropping that word there, helped sell some.

Why do they do stuff like that ?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe he *thinks* the tracks were remixed. Just because the guy recorded the songs doesn't mean he is a technical guy. Maybe all that compression on the remasterd stuff made him think they wre remixes!;)

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes, the word "remix" is fairly diluted these days, isn't it? Taking the vocal track and adding entirely new music to it is considered a "remix" by some. :sigh:

6. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Gary,

Your new Avatar just scared my co-worker here!

Bob;)

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Lee Loughnane has said words to the same effect when he was defending the remasters (or trying to). At best this is misinformation and stupidity; at worst it's false advertising, IMO.

8. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

I guess this, also, means, they don't listen to their own cd's, too.

That's just, Special, isn't it ?

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

No Chicago in my collection. Would the "Group Portrait" box from '91 still be the best compilation to get?

Jim W.

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Maybe this is a good question for Steve to answer, but isn't a bit strange that the artists themselves, and Loughnane is an original member of Chicago, don't know what was done in the studio or on the board? Or, do they just not care, or as pointed out, are they "puffing" a bit for sales?

11. Gardo

Yes.

12. Grant

Yes!:thumbsup:

Hmm, no Chicago? Really?

13. Gardo

I don't have the quotation on this computer, but when he responded to a critical thread on the Chicago bulletin board (actually, to a "what's your opinion, Lee?" thread that responded to the critical thread), Loughnane, who is credited with overseeing the remastering, said something to the effect that he wasn't an audio engineer, but he understood that the remastering engineer was able to separate the original mix into its frequency components and thus bring out instruments that might have been less audible in past versions. (This sounds to me like frequency-dependent compression/limiting--discriminate audio processing we used to call it--along with EQ.) He also said that you couldn't please audiophiles and he was sure anything the mastering engineer did would be subject to their criticism, but that nevertheless he stood behind the remastered CDs 100%.

Can he not hear the distortion, the tape drag, the dropouts? I don't know. Some of the industry people on the SH forum have testified that artists often want their remastered catalog to sound loud and in-your-face just like all the new releases (apparently this is why the new redbook remaster of DSOTM sounds the way it does--the artists wanted it that way). My hunch in this instance is that Loughnane had only a passing acquaintance with what was done with the tapes, and trusted his management and the remastering engineer (Dave Donnelly, with whom the band had recently worked on other projects) to come up with a product that could be marketed effectively. My dark suspicion is that purely musical matters ended up a second priority, or lower, for all sorts of reasons, including sales and the attendant puffery.

I wish I could say that Loughnane's remarks didn't affect my respect for him, but they did.

14. Grant

Oh, Loughnane might know, but the average musician only pays attention to the performance. Some, like Barbara Striesand or Ray Parker Jr. actually work the board.

Lamm may have only been thinking about that DVD included. Who knows?

15. Grant

So, he knew full well that Donnelly was going to dink with the masters. This tells me that Magid/Donnelly were trying to make a name for themselves by giving the record companies exactly what they want and to hell with quality sound.

Why do audiophiles always get the short end ot the stick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.