New Classic Alt reissue label: Rubellan Remasters, now open for business!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Davies, Apr 27, 2018.

1. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Active Member

That’s a shame but thanks for confirming.
    $8 per CD? Ouch - they really didn’t want to do business with you did they?!

HB

c-eling likes this.
  2. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I actually looked at the unboxing video and that pallet looked like it held 52 cases with each case holding 25 discs, so that seemed like a very healthy press run of 1300 copies. Much more than I was imagining in this world of punishing licensing. I get so paranoid when discs are in runs of 500 or less and it's pretty common now. I'm glad to see that you can get a good price per unit on that many. The cult of Visage will make it sell out. Of that I am confident. I am planning on buying at least 4-5 copies myself!

3. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Each box held four boxes at 30 count each, so it's a run of 1500. I'm not worried about it selling out, the original Visage was a run of 1500 and it sold out. Anvil is also 1500 and I've continued to assure people it will still be available when the Dance Mix goes live but they've panicked out of fear of missing out and have purchased anyway. So out of 1500 Anvil, I've already moved about 240. That's a lot when you're doing all the printing and packing yourself. But now my exposure seems to be larger because my re-press of Visage was only 300 (minus about 30 damaged units), so 270. And honestly, that is already just over half sold out because most people who have and continue to purchase The Anvil are also buying that one. All of my pressings going forward will be 1000. Ric Ocasek is a pressing of 1000 and I suspect that will sell out as well, and will likely purchase a re-press.

Initially with Universal, if a title included bonus tracks then it had to be a run of 1500 where no extra tracks could be 1000. That was changed (thankfully) last year and I've been able to do a bunch with bonus tracks at 1000 units. But this did impact the price because where at 1500 the cost may have been $5.40 per unit, at 1000 units the cost became something like 6.40 per unit. And to make matters worse, where as adding the white layer (flood) on the CD so my picture would be solid on the disc used to be .05 per unit, with their new manufacturer I'm told it's now .30 per unit. So my Berlin 'Love Life' just got a $300 cost increase because the white disc layer didn't end up in the original quote. This one's going to be expensive for me. I'm looking forward to handling it all myself, but I'm still waiting to see what just the cost of the master license for any of my in progress titles will be.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I've seen 4 color CD labels with no flood layer before. Sometimes it looks good; sometimes not, but I get the cost. Technically that's the fifth color on silkscreening although it is a solid circle of color and not much finesse is required of it. When we shipped out CD-ROMs at Gartner in the 90s, a case of 25 was common. My Record Cell is littered with them stuffed with off-rack singles and redundant pressings. The replication industry must have switched to 30 after I left IT!

whisper3978 likes this.
  5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Do it old school: black print on the silver disc.

6. aladdinziggydogs

aladdinziggydogs Forum Resident

I am going to order the 3 visage cds when the dance mix is availible does anyone know what the full price will be to the uk

7. Scott Davies

I'm putting Visage 'Dance Mix' and Ric Ocasek 'Beatitude' up for sale in about 12 hours or so. Details will be sent through my distribution list as well as posted on Facebook and Twitter. Orders for the new titles will start shipping this weekend. I expect it will be crazy because I'm still going to the P.O. daily with a bag full of packages, despite how many people have been holding back for the others. Also, be informed the dreaded USPS cost increase went into effect this past weekend and foreign orders have gone up anywhere from 25 cents to $3 depending on location. But it's still the same in that 1 or 2 CD's have the same shipping cost as does 3 to 8 CD's.

Berlin 'Love Life' update.
    Here's the track listing:

1. When We Make Love
    2. Touch
    3. Beg, Steal or Borrow
    4. Now It's My Turn
    5. Dancing in Berlin
    6. Pictures of You
    7. In My Dreams
    8. No More Words
    9. For All Tomorrow's Lies
    10. Fall

Bonus Tracks:
    11. Rumor of Love
    12. Lost in the Crowd
    13. No More Words (Dance Remix)
    14. Now It's My Turn (Remix)
    15. Dancing in Berlin (Dance Remix)

Since Rumor and Crowd were not on the original vinyl but were single B sides and cassette bonus tracks that ended up on the first CD, I moved them to the bonus section to maintain the flow of the original LP. I got 4 different remixes of Now It's My Turn, the shorter single remix and three other longer remixes with only slight differences between each. I chose one of the longer remixes. I've been remastering over the past couple of days and first draft artwork is being reviewed by Universal.

When sourcing tapes, I got to hear a couple of unreleased things but nothing earth shattering. When searching for the original No More Words 12" mix, I got a couple of dub mixes of the original recording of No More Words, not the one produced by Moroder. Most of they lyrics are absent but the music is very much in the same style as Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love'. Also, they were going to source a mix of Dancing In Berlin to see if it was the proper Dance Remix but instead pulled from the same tape an extended remix, though with very few vocals, of Beg, Steal or Borrow. I didn't get to hear if Dancing In Berlin was a good mix or not but I'm suspecting it likely would have been primarily instrumental like the other mixes I got. And no, I'm not able to share or include any of the unplanned material I received, but you're not missing much. I was able to get the remaining three necessary songs/versions from the UK archive yesterday morning.

8. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Agreed, that Edsel set pretty much sucked.
    I ended up just doing my own transfers for those albums.
    The 12 inch for Runaway/Bouncing is jaw dropping.

HeadBanger likes this.
  9. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

I’ve just received Visage and The Anvil. Such a nice job on the packaging. They look so good I’m almost sad to open them! Great little job with the bonus tracks too. I’ll be picking up The dance mix CD and Beatitude too.

Great job Scott. Thanks!

ispace, Scott Davies and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

Friday for the Rick Scott?

11. Scott Davies

Going on sale late tonight/early tomorrow (depending on where you are located) and will start shipping on the weekend.

ispace and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

Thanks. I'll check your shop tomorrow :righton:

13. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Hi Scott, just bought the two Visage titles, Fade to Grey and the Anvil. Love your site. Exceptionally easy to navigate and to purchase from. Good luck with the label and I will be back to make more purchases!!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

There is also a remix of Dancing in Berlin by Mike Shipley that turned up on some versions of the Like Flames single. It sounds like a duet, more reminiscent of the solo John Crawford version than Berlin’s version. It runs 4:44. It could fairly be described as interesting.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

So did you find the original 12" mix? Is that the one you have listed as (Dance Remix)? "No More Words" was the first Berlin track I heard (on MTV) and I instantly loved it. I'm looking forward to this release.

16. Scott Davies

I got the originally released 12" mixes of No More Words and Dancing In Berlin from the UK archive. The U.S. copies of those tapes are gone.

Curveboy and agentalbert like this.
  17. Scott Davies

18. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic

Just placed my order for the last 4 releases...thanks!

19. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

ordered the last four releases here as well. Looking forward to hearing them all, and good luck with all the packing...

20. ispace

ispace Forum Resident

Ditto for the last 4 releases. International shipping is painful but that’s totally not your fault Scott. I just wish there was a way for smaller players to get access to more reasonable international shipping rates like the Amazons of the world can; it’s a huge barrier to entry for small businesses today.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Just ordered Visage - The Anvil and Fade to Grey and Ric Ocasek - Beatitude.

Thanks for all your hard work in bringing this music to the masses, Scott!

22. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Purchased 'The Anvil' and 'Fade to Grey: Special Dance Mix'

Visage was very important in my early youth. As 18 year old kid I even travelled on my own to London for finding one of the famous night clubs like Blitz or Camden Palace, (of course I didn't find it) but met at the airport by coincidence a beautifull young woman dressed like a Pierrot clown, so one of the real new romantics. In love at first sight (too afraid to talk to her, of course).

Back to music: I'm especially pleased to hear soon again that great Dance Mix which I owned once at cassette, but lost it. Normally you would have purchased it another time after loosing it, but the time of cassette players was over (at the end I only had one in my car) and before internet it was also difficult to find it and order it another time.

Never felt so enthousiastic in purchasing as right now (man, sitting at my PC while ordering these 2 cds I felt myself nervous as a kid can be!), also knowing that cd will be soon OOP. Got also a strange sensational feeling of seeing soon something again which was once that close to my heart. In only know that tape was fantastic, but can't remember of course all the mixes of those great Visage songs.... :love:

For honouring that great tape (now at cd) and Scott:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  23. aladdinziggydogs

aladdinziggydogs Forum Resident

Just ordered the 3 visage cds scott, hope they get to the uk safe and I don't end up paying to much tax on them, many thanks scott:)

patient_ot likes this.
  24. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Excellent!! Anvil and Dance Mix have been ordered and are eagerly awaited.
    Really appreciate all your hard work in this Scott.

25. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

To those who have already received The Anvil, let’s have your reviews please!