New Crowded House album "Dreamers are Waiting" (Jun 4 2021) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dberthia, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh lol... I’ve already put Neil’s months of kind of being in Fleetwood Mac out of my head.

2. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

I really hope this is not the best song on the upcoming album.

bhazen, mmart1 and brownie61 like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That may be what I like about it. Certainly a change up from the solo Neil sound of CH's last go round.

bhazen likes this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Doesn't really sound like Crowded House, though. However, I'll wait for the album before getting too judgmental. (Time On Earth is one of the greatest albums ever made, to me anyway.)

5. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Meh indeed. Was really looking forward to this. Ah well. Disappointment fitting with this year.
    I think with the question mark over moving Mark Hart and Matt Sherrod aside for his sons, a strong classic Crowdies track was in order. Never mind.

A lot of Neil Finn’s stuff over the last ten years has been ... hit and miss.

Sevoflurane, mmart1, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  6. For those two albums, I thought the first one was outstanding, but the second ran out of some songwriting steam. His last solo album, recorded semi-live with strings and a choir on most songs was truly magical. Not a rock album, but it was deep and beautiful. Required intense listening but might also have been the most emotional and satisfying of ANY of his albums. Was much better than Dizzy Heights.

7. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

It reminded me of Saturday Sun, too...

Paul H likes this.
  8. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

I have always enjoyed music from Crowded House. The new song sounds good but unrecognisable as Crowded House music. It is more in line with Neil's solo output. It is still nice to hear more music coming from them though.

9. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Well that didn't work for me at all! I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I can't imagine ever thinking of it as a great song that I can't wait to listen to again. And as others have pointed out, it really doesn't sound very Crowded House-y at all. Disappointing.

brownie61 likes this.
  10. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I love Split Enz, I love CH, I love Tim Finn solo. Neil solo not so much and this one not so much as well.
    For me it started to go downhill when he started to push his family members (sons and wife) onto the stage and into the group.
    Just because you are married to a musician or being the son of a musician doesn't make a good musician out of you. Sorry.
    That Pyjama Club nonsense or how it was called, was the absolute low point for me. When the skills lack call it avantgarde or whatever. I don't think I will buy the new CH album neither.

Lance LaSalle and mmart1 like this.
  11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I like it. Froom is clearly at work here, helping Neil accent the hooks. His vocal sounds better in that register than he has in a long time. He’s sounded thin up there for over a decade.

12. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Are you still getting the error message? I've received only one email from someone saying it didn't work for them... and it turns out it was you!

13. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

This Yankee would love to be in New Zealand for those upcoming shows. Normalcy, compared to the s***show in the States.

That’s not “sideshow”, by the way, although that word might apply too.

14. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

FWIW I think Neil's interests have shifted. Whether I dig the results or not, it seems his primary goal in life now is doing stuff with his family. Which is a wonderful, healthy thing, seen on its own terms. Those of us who wish CH to be a certain way, may have to lump it. Either way, bless him; over 30+ years, the Finn brothers and fellow travelers have given us a lot of (as Q put it) "pop music of a very high order".

I'll certainly give the album a close listen ...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

My exact feelings too.

I know I shouldn't jump to an opinion after just hearing it once, but the problem is I really don't want to hear it again, it's just so disappointing.

D.B. and brownie61 like this.
  16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Interesting to read your comments. I certainly was not impressed
    by the post-Hester Crowded House releases, but I will buy any new
    offering.

17. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

It reminds me of the Neil and Liam Finn album, which was a grower. The tour for that album was unbelievable. The kind of show I pine for in this no-gig world. Looking forward to the whole album!

Ryan Lux and dthomas850 like this.
  18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

All is good, Jaffaman. I think the email just went out before the UK was ready for it!

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That was my first thought too... until 10 minutes later when I found myself singing the chorus...

therunner likes this.
  20. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

Just remember, Chocolate Cake was the lead-off single from Woodface....

mjb, KngCrmsn22, bhazen and 5 others like this.
  21. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Okay, 2nd listen and I gotta say that this is the best new music i've heard in quite a while, Neil has done it again. This track is absolutely fantastic. Intelligent pop music for modern times, relevant lyrics, infectious groove, and Nick's bass line is stellar. Can't wait to hear more.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  22. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Massive fan of neil, liam, split enz & crowded house but really not feeling this new song. Hoping there is much better to come......

23. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

OK, but sometimes there's a fine line between catchy in a good way and annoyingly catchy like an ad jingle that you wish you could stop singing.

I'm going to give it a 2nd listen tomorrow - once a day is all I can manage until (if) it grows on me.

Paul H likes this.
  24. NiceMrMustard

Is it just me or does this song sound like a Lindsey Buckingham solo track?

25. NiceMrMustard

Beat me to it.

Chris C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.