New Crowded House album "Dreamers are Waiting" (Jun 4 2021) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dberthia, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I don't mind the chorus too much in the latest effort, but both songs have too much Liam influence for me. Melodies are in short shrift, no acoustic guitar, drums are like Neil's pyjama club efforts, which I'm surprised at as I'd assumed Elroy was a decent musician.

Hopefully, they are highlighting a new sound in the singles and the rest of the album will be up to scratch.

I appreciate that Neil is keen to keep moving CH forward, but its difficult not to compare the two latest songs to something like Fingers of Love or Nobody Wants to and feel underwhelmed. It's all a bit worrying !

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

oboogie, Mondie and Sean like this.
  3. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic Thread Starter

The new song get a big "meh" from me. Whatever You Want was a grower, but I don't think this one will stand up. Fingers crossed for the album, but I'm not optimistic.

brownie61 likes this.
  4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I totally agree with you, Paul.

I don’t even want to listen to this again.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  5. captgriff

captgriff Forum Resident

To me, the last two CH albums have been Neil Finn albums (in a good way). I believe he was clear about the origins of Time On Earth in this regard. Dizzy Heights and Out of Silence to me are very enjoyable Neil solo peaks, but his clear drift toward a DIY cottage approach over the last decade keeps collaborations close to home - lots of Sharon on Pajama Club and Intriguer, and his sons on all things since. This becomes very clear (again, I am not complaining) if you watch the Youtube sessions for Out Of Silence. He can afford to do it, enjoys it, and so he does. I too miss the classic CH sound, but really like where he's been since, including the Fangradio programs with all of the unreleased demos, etc. Agreed, however, that today's new song is a letdown. Can we also get all of the old fan club CDs out as FLAC downloads?

mjb and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Hmm not hearing what you guys are. I like it a lot. The chorus is an instant classic, by the second listen. I also like this new understated approach, way more sparse though he’s layering his vocals like Marvin Gaye. After years of piled on overdubs, this is refreshing. The video is good, though the reality of the crowd would be a little different (it’s funny to see them rocking out to this mellow, trippy tune). I love the acapella breakdown. Froom is giving Mark Hart’s dryness a run for it’s money. Haha

I suppose I could give some criticism that the low tuned drums have gotten a little old for me, but not enough to dampen my enthusiasm for the new stuff.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

That drum sound annoys me it’s been on every Liam or Neil album since Champagne In Seashells, regardless of who plays.

But I like it and I think there is really quite a lot going on, a lot of melodic ideas well crafted together.

Ryan Lux, brownie61 and Paul H like this.
  8. It hurts me to say it too but I have long thought a lot of Neil’s melodic gift disappeared after Try Whistling This.The albums and songs are “worthy” but just don’t have that old Neil magic to me.

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I know I sound like I've made up my mind already (I haven't, honestly) and I try really hard to judge everything on its merits, not against what has gone before, but it really is hard not to compare my reaction to first hearing the the two recent songs with my reaction to first hearing Woodface and Together Alone. Even though it was back in the early 90's I can still remember hearing those albums. I can picture myself. Those records had the hairs on my neck tingling, I recall emotionally bonding with those albums instantly.

I know its a tough crowd that expects that kind of reaction every time - and I don't - but this is so far in the other direction. Frankly, if I came across those songs by another band I'd not give them a second thought and most likely wouldn't have got past the first couple of minutes of each.

And I see they're engaging in a watered down version of McCartney's coloured vinyl frenzy too. Ho hum.

Edit: in an attempt to say something positive: for once, I love the artwork.

10. Paul H

It's first thing in the morning, I've had a night of interrupted sleep, so excuse me but...

I'm looking on the Universal website. What on earth is a D2C LP??

NunoBento and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

I was wondering the same.

12. Lance LaSalle

Direct to customer?

13. Paul H

Well, it refers to the multi-coloured vinyl edition, so I'm wondering if its something-to-colour. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's baffled.

My usual response to CH records is that I love the music and dislike the artwork (sorry Nick). This might be the first time I love the artwork and dislike the music :)

I have to say that while I'm not a collector of coloured vinyl, that blue looks gorgeous.

brownie61 likes this.
  14. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Yeah. Meh.

15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I like the video a lot more than I like the song!

I will give it another chance when the album is released, but probably not until then. Like Paul H, I vividly remember hearing old Neil Finn songs and loving them instantly (Four Seasons in One Day, She Will Have Her Way spring to mind). To the Island is some kind of weird angular pop with some unpleasant sounds here and there and doesn’t draw me in at all.

I have found in recent years that I have difficulty getting into new music by my favorite artists until I hear the finished album as a whole, with everything in context. Maybe that will be the case here, but I find it difficult to imagine ever loving To the Island or Whatever You Want.

16. Paul H

They both remind me - in sound and texture - of Saturday Son. That was/is a song I don't dislike but just find very middling. The problem is that I don't like the production/sound of it, so a song I'd enjoy well enough if, for example, it had sounded like the songs on Woodface, I just can't enjoy because it doesn't rise above its production sound. These seem similar.

And yes, I like the video.

Side note: I'm very surprised that the "industry machinery" seems to think that shows will be on in June and that the record is best issued then. Personally, from a UK perspective, I think that's very optimistic. Either that, or they've just decided that they need to get the record out regardless.

NorthNY Mark, Ryan Lux and brownie61 like this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

It is not going to happen. I still have tickets to see them in Berlin in June but I don't think there is any way that is going to happen. I'd say slightly more chance of shows going on in the UK at that time, given your vaccination rate.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  18. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

I'm going to a Crowded House gig next month!

19. The first time I listened to it I found myself just watching the video and trying to figure out what it was all about.

The second time, I turned away from the video and just listened and found myself tapping my toes through the whole thing and now I'm sad the song is over. I don't seem to care about what it's about or what the video is like. But I want to keep groovin' to it.

Time to play it again!

20. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I don't know if someone I've blocked has posted this already but (for my convenience, at least) here it is.

Edit - 'To The Island'

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    BlueJay and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Just one viewing, but love the island song (don't even know what the title is yet), and the video. After posting here, will download the album and listen sometime when i am on the road. Or maybe tonight.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  22. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I posted it last night. I'd be surprised if you've blocked me. I post very infrequently and rarely say anything too controversial after I realised its a friendly forum unlike one or two that I've been on.

mrjinks and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I'm curious if the naysayers here like Split Enz at all. I get that vibe from the new stuff, which is just fine by me, I prefer that to a Neil solo vibe.

24. Paul H

Yep, big Enz fan. I've only heard the To The Island once, so I'm reserving judgement but simply offered a literal first impression.

brownie61 and Ryan Lux like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

I love Split Enz (though I put Crowded House just above them.) But I quite like these two new songs: I don't get a Split Enz vibe per se but I do get a very nervous arty, slightly less-than-commercial vibe that I think is from Liam (who I also like and who is obviously very influenced by Split Enz.)

My main problem is that loud drum sound that Neil and Liam tend to favor since 2009 or so.

brownie61 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.