New Crowded House album "Dreamers are Waiting" (Jun 4 2021) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dberthia, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KngCrmsn22

KngCrmsn22 Forum Resident

I'll check out anything CH does, but so far the two singles are underwhelming for me. I understand and can appreciate Neil's desire to have his sons in the band, but I don't like that he made that decision (as well as adding Froom) at the expense of Mark Hart. Mark's musicality added a lot of texture to Neil's songs. And I think some of that element is what's missing for me. Of course, I'll still listen to the album when it's released. But Temple of Low Men and Together Alone set the bar pretty high for me.

2. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

The situation with Mark reminds me of AC/DC. When Brian Johnson had to leave and Angus Young brought in Axl Rose it almost seemed like anyone in the band (except Angus) was disposable.

Neil Finn is the Angus Young of Crowded House (which is fine, he does write and sing the songs, but still).

I have the tri-colored vinyl in my cart over on the Universal shop but I'm having trouble justifying $50.00 (incl. shipping) to get it to the States.

KngCrmsn22 likes this.
  3. KngCrmsn22

KngCrmsn22 Forum Resident

I don't disagree with you. I love Roxy Music, but seeing only Bryan Ferry perform a Roxy song is not the same as seeing Roxy Music. A band is greater than the sum of its parts.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Saturday Sun was a single that I didn't get at first and still don't think it was a strong first taste of Intriguer. To my ears, To The Island is much catchier.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I am not a big Split Enz fan, and yes, I did get that vibe as well. So if that’s where Crowded House is going, they are going to lose me.

therunner likes this.
  6. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I found that both the new CH songs were a considerable surprise as to how they sounded. The album is most likely going to be a significant departure, though so far in two directions.

I like 'To The Island' more than I initially liked 'Whatever You Want', though the later grew on me. Just playing it again now.

Clearly the album that is coming is going to be very different from any previous CH album and I think it's going to take some getting used to. But, I'm looking forward to it. As I am looking forward to the album by Forensics.

7. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Agreed. The biggest thing is the lack of overdubs. Every CH album since Together Alone has been loaded with multiple guitar and keyboard parts all over almost every song. They're great at that but it'll nice to hear an aesthetic closer to the first 3 albums, even if sonically it'll be very different.

Hep Alien and HitAndRun like this.
  8. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

D2C = Direct to Consumer. Basically, it just means that the specific formats labeled as D2C will be sold exclusively through band/label commerce channels and won't be distributed through third parties, aka standard retailers - you can only get them artist-/label-direct. You'll be able to buy all the other formats through regular sales channels as well.

(Although I have to note that some bands/labels have miraculously broadened their definition of exclusive channels of late, and it can vary a lot by market - particularly when it comes to "indie-exclusive" or "[retailer]-exclusive" formats.)

Paul H likes this.
  9. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I agree. And I'm not too sure I can explain this very well, but quite how does Neil think now he's going to attract new fans. CH isn't an exciting new band that is going to demand tons of media attention, so if the loyal fans don't like the new material or direction, he's going to be playing "Puppet Show and Crowded House" gigs in the near future if he's not careful.

I can't believe that a band that's built up a huge following over 35 years producing a certain type of music and sound is now making a huge shift in a different direction.

To me CH songs have always been songs you could strip back, pick up an acoustic guitar or sit at a piano and play and they'd sound great....because underneath all the overdubs and noises etc, there was always a great melody.

The two songs off the new album lack that melodic quality to me and are padded out with awful production to try to cover that deficiency.

After I'd had a few listens, I played the song to my wife who's also a big CH/NF fan. Her view was "What on earth is that rubbish"

And my final rant is, what is Liam about in the video. What's with the being camp act?

10. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic Thread Starter

To my ears, To the Island sounds better without the video. Doesn't mean it's great- just better.

11. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

I found "To The Island" so bland and uninteresting on first listen that I spent my time concentrating the video instead, but that was equally unrewarding, although I was amused by Mitchell Froom looking so zombie-like, he only needs a little moustache to become the guy from Sparks :D

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I like Spit Enz better. Why did that group break-up?

13. Tim had other opportunities and a high-profile European actress girlfriend pulling him away from New Zealand and Australia.

Hep Alien and J_D__ like this.
  14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’ve never made a decision based on a beautiful woman. Lol

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah. In hindsight it seems like Neil could've just carried on with the name and been successful, but I totally understand why he wanted a fresh start since it was "his" band now. I like Split Enz just fine, but I understand him wanting them to be different entities, so he could do his new songs without the pressures of them having to fit in with the Split Enz stuff live.

16. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I don’t think Split Enz was the right band for Neil’s songs. I think he and Eddie Rayner make music that is uncomfortable together.

brownie61 likes this.
  17. I suspect ownership of the trademark might have been just as big an issue. Also a 3-piece would have been cheaper and easier to take on the road.

J_D__ likes this.
  18. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

I'm finding it difficult to understand the mainly negative response to 'To the Island'. I'm blown away by it - it's the best thing they've done in such a long time. Love it.

Rufus McDufus and Ryan Lux like this.
  19. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Huge letdown so far from the two songs though the second one is better than the first but far from being a decent song. This has been a huge surprise just how average the songs are considering that Neil's last solo album "Out of Silence" is a sublime masterpiece IMHO... where are those types of songs and melodies? Was that the end of his song-writing ability as the album with Liam was rather laughable (I expected so much more) and now this. Let's hope he can find his mojo again.

Michaelpeth likes this.
  20. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I have never seen a songwriter lose as much of his muse as Neil Finn. His last few albums are awful. Been a big fan since the start of CH in 1986 and seen CH, Finn Bros and Neil in concert many times. Unless I hear some better tunes I'll pass on this any any live shows.

21. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Like the new song. Ordered the blue vinyl. June is a long time to wait.

22. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

2017’s Out Of Silence has some top tunes. Not as immediate perhaps but solid.
    The latest Fangradio podcast with the guys is a great listen as is often the case. Four minutes in they do To The Island acoustically. More the classic Crowdies sound. Brushes and less effects. Sounds much better.

The muddy production and that muted drum sound (at least on Apple Music) is the issue to these ears. Shame. Maybe now they’re together in one room they should just recut the album low fi as a bonus disc. Give listeners a choice- classic Crowdies sound or esoteric cut and paste style. I’m not sure I want to listen to an album full of the sound of Elroy hitting a wet cardboard box myself.

Dig into this: Crowded House - “To The Island” single release special — Fangradio

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Hep Alien and Michaelpeth like this.
  23. I really, really like it. It's got a solid melody like many of his best songs do, but this one also goes to some unexpected chord changes and sounds and somehow makes it all work. By my fourth listen through, I pretty much can't get it out of my head. A proper earworm.

24. Also disagree there. Out of Silence is one of his best and was deeply moving to me. Sometimes even bringing a tear from how beautiful were the parts with choir. I think it was utterly fantastic. I would agree, however, that Dizzy Heights was a step back from his best work. Only 2-4 real "keeper" songs on that one.

25. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I'll add my vote for not impressed with either of the songs that have been released. So far neither song is as good as anything from Out of the Silence or Lightsleeper (which feels a lot like Out of the Silence II). Of course, I'll buy it and I hope to get to see them live!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.