New Crowded House album "Dreamers are Waiting" (Jun 4 2021) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dberthia, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's the only thing they've done in a long time :)

brownie61 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Ah, but don't forget "Anthem" which was released in 2015 with a newly recorded vocal, and the three bonus tracks at the end of the 2016 Intriguer Deluxe Edition which had new vocals too.

3. Paul H

We've all found it incredibly difficult to remain civilised to each other: it's been tremendously hard sometimes but we've persevered (with each other). :)

mrjinks, J_D__ and brownie61 like this.
  4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Speak for yourself! :laugh:

I have never once found myself trying to remain civilized in that thread. I just thought we were all nice people who accept differing opinions on music that for the most part, everyone on that thread loves. There are individual preferences, but no one would be participating in that thread if they didn’t generally love the music. I said yesterday that I’m not a big Split Enz fan. That doesn’t mean I hate Split Enz. I have all their albums, and truly love a lot of their songs. But overall, SE is not my favorite Finn thing.

Finn music has an angular pop side, and a more melodic side (very much like XTC, actually), and while I don’t hate or even really dislike the angular pop, 9 times out of 10, I’ll go with the more melodic. Although my opinions about Pajama Club (love) and Out Of Silence (can’t stand) don’t fit in with that generalization. Which is why I said 9/10 times instead of 10/10.

5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think he was joking. The Finns seem to attract nice, sensible people. Perhaps a clue as to why they’re not bigger celebrities!

6. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

For the record, the three I cut were:

A Sigh
    Transit Lounge
    You Are the One to Make Me Cry

Not bad songs necessarily. But not particularly memorable or exciting. To me, the album comes into focus when they're culled.

And I added "Lost Island," which I thought made a good segue from "English Trees" to "People Are Like Suns."

Hep Alien, Paul H and Ryan Lux like this.
  7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

“Lost Island” is to me the great lost Finn classic.
    There’s an idea for a thread!

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi and Paul H like this.
  8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

In the case of Dizzy Heights, anyway, this is so true. Some of Neil’s best writing hidden from view due to insanely wrongheaded production and mastering choices.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  9. Paul H

I feel bad now. I was being sarcastic. Perhaps that was lost despite the smiley. Sorry.

The exact opposite is, of course, true. It's been the most enjoyable and pleasurable conversation I've had on this or any other forum, and the easiest one to remain civil in.

10. Paul H

I can't find where the discussion about the "new" live download-only albums went (possibly the song-by-song thread). Anyway, I was playing part of it yesterday and notice there is a glitch in hte live version of Chocolate Cake. Anyone else notice this? Is it on the master? I hear it at roughly 1:26: a whole line is missing.

11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Someone mentioned it on frenz.com -- apparently it was noticed at one point and was meant to be fixed, but in editing it was overlooked.

Paul H likes this.
  12. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

What new downloads?

13. Lance LaSalle

There are two digital albums called Crowded House 1992-1994 Pts 1 and 2 on Itines, Spotify, etc. also a new ALT live album and a Neil Finn solo gig.

folkfreak likes this.
  14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Ah thanks.... was a while since I last searched there.

15. Paul H

The latest announcement from the UK government suggests that, if all goes smoothly, all social restrictions will be removed on June 21... a fortnight after CH are due to play their mini-tour. Concert venues appear to be able to open "with social distancing". I'm not sure if that means limiting capacity (which would, presumably, be a deal-breaker for band/venue) or not but I can't see how social distancing can be maintained without.

16. Lance LaSalle

I believe that's the date that I'm booked to see them in Berlin. Something like that. I may have to sell those tickets as I'm not sure they will get around to vaccinating me by then. (Right now, they claim they have enough vaccinations but no way to get them out...ergh, don't get me started.)

17. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

It’s in the master. I’ve repaired it in case there’s ever a CD release.

18. Paul H

Presumably, a replacement can't be issued, given that the product is, essentially, faulty..?

19. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

It’s a charity release, so I imagine ARCA won’t replace it. I can send you a replacement file for that song if you like.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I was reminded of this thread when I just now was playing Dizzy Heights and Dive Bomber played. I seem to recall quite some consternation among some fans when that came out. But, we survived.

This is in reference to some of the reactions further upthread.

21. Paul H

Well now, Jeremy, that would be immensely kind and way above and beyond. But yeah, it would be lovely to have the full, undamaged recording. Any news on how the recent UK government announcement on the easing of restrictions will affect the (UK) tour? They're due in the UK about a fortnight before restrictions are due to be lifted.

22. Paul H

I notice that there are a fistful of different coloured vinyl pressings available (a la McCartney III), some of which appear to be sold out already. So far, I've detected a cyan; baby blue and black; baby blue, black and bone; and bone (Germany) in addition to the regular black. Any others?

23. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

I've heard nothing.

24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Has anyone else noticed that the other mix of To The Island has noticeably less compression/limiting? At least on Tidal, it’s not subtle. Way more open if still not an audiophile master.

25. Paul H

Which other mix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.