NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Man when this song came on my CD player that dreadful January Monday morning, me and my wife we just could not hold back the tears. The dying man is saying over and over I can’t give everything... Isn’t it the most perfect coda to a brilliant and long career?

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, I find it heartbreaking.

Max Florian likes this.
  3. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Perhaps quite a few more times, since you still can't recall the title correctly. ;)

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I agree, while it was a shot to the gut at the time, I think only a few tracks really stand the test of time taken on their own. The middle drags along. Def a very good album, but I dont know if it would crack the top 5, IMHO.

As a work of art to coincide with his passing, it works tho, handled with class. Tough to go back to it tho, for that reason. Kinda like Zevons' The Wind

sunking101 likes this.
  5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Yes, quite right: I meant 'I can't Give Everything Away'.

It's a great song, don't get me wrong, and extremely moving - just think it could've been a bit shorter, 's all. It may be sacriligious to say but I always get the feeling Visconti was saying to him, "David, I know you want a short album but we're not even up to 40 minutes so far! Haven't you written any more words for '...Give Everything Away'? OK, well what about I loop the end a few times, eh?"

But what a way to go....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I bet you reaaaaaaaally hate "Hey Jude."

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think the title track, Lazarus and Dollar Days are three of the best songs he ever wrote, and I Can't Give Everything Away is pretty great as well. The other three songs are all solid/good.

It is his best? I would say no. Ziggy Stardust and Low still sit at the top in my book, but Blackstar is still pretty great.

sunking101, mick_sh and JoeF. like this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm sometimes tempted to say that Blackstar is so highly rated because it was Bowie's last album, but then I remember being blown away by the album during the weekend between it's release and the day of his death. It really is a great album. It's not Hunky Dory or Ziggy and I can understand how the circumstances of it's release can make it a rather unpleasant listening experience for some. But it is up there, his greatest later-career album in the same way that Time Out of Mind is great later day Bob Dylan--even though it can't honestly be compared to Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks....

Solace and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  9. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Puh-lease. Page and Plant are in a category all by themselves.

10. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I would say Tis A Pity.... is one of the best BAND performances on a Bowie record. I told Donny McCaslin that.

pobbard, Rooster_Ties, Tsomi and 2 others like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I don't get how anyone can say Bowie "ripped" off anyone. He paid homage or tribute or alluded to many artists or songs in his work, but he wasn't a thief. I don't recall him ever claiming credit for someone else's work.
    Nicking a lick here and there doesn't count. That's SOP in popular music.

12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Completely agreed! I never heard anything sounding quite like that before. It sounds like it’s contantly falling apart only it doesn’t.

andycherry and Rooster_Ties like this.
  13. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Na.
    Na na na na.:D

Jack, richard a and scotth like this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

This album is aging extremely well. Listened to it on the way home from work earlier and it sounded more amazing that ever. The fact that it was a rainy, chilly day only enhanced the listening experience. :cool:

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Did Visconti ever say why they included David's breathing/mouth noises at the start of "Tis A Pity"?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I think it may be Bowie's best album. What a way to go out...

17. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I confidently said it was the best release of 2016. I truly feel it's the best since then. I think a few have been good just not as good.
    Other good albums:
    Steven Wilson To the Bone
    Bruce Cockburn Bone on Bone
    Paul Simon Stranger to Stranger
    Monkees Good Times (I would Never have dreamed this one would have made my list until my brother said give it a listen)
    Paul McCartney Egypt Station
    Paul Weller True Meanings
    And I listened to the New Elvis Costello albumLook Now this morning and wow!

18. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

All good albums, sure, but maybe you need to expand your horizons in regards to musicians?

19. Ken.e.

I think you should look at my collection and have a better understanding of me before you make a statement like that. With all due respect a sampling of my favourite albums over a few years does not represent my "horizons in regards to musicians".

20. George Co-Stanza

I can't put it ahead of Ziggy Stardust, but I might move it ahead of Low for 2nd place now. Amazing that he could put out an album this good at not only the end of his career, but the end of his life.

And I say that as someone you would not call a big Bowie fan (a lot of his stuff is a miss for me, but the majority of his material I like, I love to death).

21. seaisletim

You didn’t provide a ‘look at your collection’ nor did you give any information beyond what you thought was good in 2016 beside Blackstar.

That list was homogenous, for lack of a better word. Doesn’t make you a bad person or anything.

22. Ken.e.

I remember listening to Blackstar and telling my wife who is a Bowie fan in a casual way I think Blackstar could be his best album. She said "I hope he tours, it would be great to see him live again". I told her it was an amazingly good album but it didn't feel like an album he made to tour. Then we went to bed only to wake up to the news of his passing.

Runicen, Rooster_Ties, Rocat and 4 others like this.
  23. Ken.e.

Did you mean homogeneous? Well I hope musical taste doesn't make you a bad person or anything.

24. seaisletim

I meant what I wrote.

25. Ken.e.

Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.