NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Where? And is it really unmastered or did someone take the digital flac files and run it through the declip/decompress Izotope plugin?

2. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

For the most part I agree with you but in the case of the Bowie clear vinyl, it is indeed rarer at least, partly because of circumstance I would say. Only a limited number were initially made (on clear) and they were easily available to anyone at retail price before he died. I think it will remain collectible because it is the first pressing on clear vinyl pressed in much smaller quantities than the black. Will it remain $500 collectible? I think that is doubtful. Of course, they could always make more clear vinyl copies, but it will be a 2nd pressing after his death, not as desirable as the 1st.

At any rate, I am not at all in the least surprised that people are snapping it up to resell, solely for personal gain. Obviously. It would be shocking if they didn't do this! Perhaps what is equally obvious are the people who are actually paying the ridiculous asking prices! :crazy: I wonder what Record Store Day this year is planning to do to capitalize on all of this?

3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

WOAH, this would give Blackstar (the term) an additional meaning if true and if it is what Bowie had

"There has been speculation that 'Blackstar' was named after a type of cancer legion. A 'black star' has been defined as a "proliferative breast legion... described as long and thin with radiating radiolucent linear structures, which against a radiolucent fat background gives a black star or dark star appearance"

http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/90747#dIL1JeziUZpeQ2Go.99

theMess likes this.
  4. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

The additional Next Day tracks were available separately for download as the 'The Next Day Extra'. I purchased the HD version without having to buy the album again.

Tristero and robtodd like this.
  5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

I've seen this too, so wondered the same thing. Googling 'Blackstar unmastered' does throw up a torrent, so am grabbing it to check. In an alternate reality, of course.

6. spencertherover

spencertherover New Member

I totally agree, I also think DF is an artistic masterpiece, I think Yoko's stuff is fantastic on it..

helter likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

You're staging a don't buy campaign for unreleased, new recordings from an absolute icon of music who just passed away??? Gee, where do I sign? :rolleyes:

8. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I think by "Unmastered" the guy meant that it wasn't his final attempt at it. And it probably is declipped, but probably not only that.

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Please share your thoughts. I have the vinyl and thus a great needledrop, but am curious about this "unmastered" digital version and its origins.

amoergosum likes this.
  10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Against forum rules to state where. I'm sure it was just run through a declip/decompress program. That being said it does sound much better.

11. In terms of this clear vinyl, it was a limited quantity edition that is not totally uncommon in the business. In this particular case I assume Sony music approached B&N about an exclusive edition IF they ordered a certain quantity of product. This is common in all types of retail. Many here have seen it at Target and Best Buy. Of course it is a manufactured collectors item just like the recent Rega Queen Turntable, a co-product between a manufacturer and someone else (retailer, client, etc) . Some of these increase in value and others do not. Only time will tell. The only reason these seem to be selling at very high prices right now, is because of Bowies death.

Gavinyl likes this.
  12. spencertherover

Spot on.. I don't blame the sellers I blame the buyers for paying over the odds for the clear vinyl..

Mazzy likes this.
  13. rocketman1

rocketman1 New Member

I've just listened to Lazarus on both the unmastered and the Spotify versions. Bear in mind this is the first time I've ever listened to the album. The unmastered version sounds like the Spotify version but with the lowend scooped out. I'm guessing this is to give the impression that it actually is uncompressed dynamically by looking at the waveforms/DR Values. The drums still sound distorted and if you look at the waveforms where the drum hits it still looks squared off.

14. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

Even the standard black vinyl is now pretty much sold out and fetching stupid money on Amazon/Discogs etc atm (2nd pressing heading our way soon no doubt).
    My copy is currently in the post, somewhere between Europe and the UK.
    I am beginning to panic!!

spencertherover likes this.
  15. spencertherover

I got mine from HMV.. They said they were buying up the remaining stock and distributing throughout the remaining stores.. Luckily when I rang they offered to reserve me one.. I got it last night..

16. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

As I posted earlier, What Records still have the vinyl and vinyl/cd set available (£19 & £28 respectively).

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/search.asp?artist=bowie&title=&format=&catalogue=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

17. obi

obi Forum Resident

There is already a repress on the way:
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/artrock/product/119/7107/

Bowie Fett likes this.
  18. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

Black or Clear this album is a masterpiece...Thank you David. :targettiphat:

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You are totally missing the point since this is not your standart gimmicky limited edition. This is as much part of the true first run as the black vinyl version and Bowie himself sold it through his website. Since they changed the cd's colour scheme (white cover, black disc) for the vinyl the combination black sleeve, white disc not only makes sense, it looks really beautiful.

You may not like it but to simply dismiss it as gimmick is....well see above;);)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

wrighty47 likes this.
  21. ParanoidAndroid

22. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

The comment above is spot on - the supposed 'unmastered' version sound thin and scooped out. Don't bother.

subtr and amoergosum like this.
  23. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Sorry, hadn't noticed that. They had stock when I posted yesterday. It's only just down the road from me, so he just drops them into another record shop near us for me to pick up.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I listened to it a few times after his passing (didn't have time before). It's an interesting meditation on death and a tough listen. A far cry from a song like Kooks! However in Lazarus where he sings "Oh, I'll be free just like that bluebird" gives me some solace. But in the end it is a pretty amazing artistic statement from a great artist.

As an aside Bowie is actually responsible for me joining this forum. I joined in order to answer a question about Width of A Circle.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Engelsstaub likes this.
  25. ParanoidAndroid

gary191265 wrote:
    'Sorry, hadn't noticed that. They had stock when I posted yesterday. It's only just down the road from me, so he just drops them into another record shop near us for me to pick up.'

Don't worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.