New Deep Purple album coming possibly titled 'Turning to Crime'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Aug 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Officially. He didn't play on the album. See here, here, here and here.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Reminds me of a certain other band, where a certain other musician claims he played on a certain other album, but the musician they were replacing is sadly no longer with us to give their side of the story. What do you know, in both cases keyboard players are involved.

I find it difficult to believe, since every dirty laundry has come out of the Purple team. Why now? I see the posts were from last year, some twenty years after the album.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

So Tony Carey played on Slaves And Masters instead of Jon Lord? Pretty wild if true. Strange this has never come out before except on some obscure Status Quo Fan Forum.

dirie, Matthew Tate and j4yheindeo like this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Don’t believe fake

bartels76, dirie and j4yheindeo like this.
  5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I haven't heard Gillan sing so good and alive in ages! Sounds like vintage Gillan straight from Fireball era and Ian Paice is fully awaken as well.

dirie and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. JulesRules

Easy to write off when you're talking about the postings of a guy who was a member of Rainbow and has lots of connections in the music world.
    If it weren't obscure, Tony wouldn't have made these comments. :) Obviously he's not interested in getting the credit, since he got paid well for it. Just thought I should mention it because, yes, there is a reason it doesn't sound like Purple. Not surprising when Joe, Ritchie, Tony and Roger had all been in Rainbow (if not at the same time). And Jon (Lord ;)) actually confirms this between the lines:
    ""Slaves And Masters" is undoubtably an album which should never never have been labeled as Deep Purple"
    "with "The Battle Rages On..." we wanted to show that we can deliver better things than "Slaves And Masters", which was really not a Deep Purple album at all. It carried the name, but the sleeve was deceiving."
    "Keyboards: The decision to put away the organ and use the synths was not taken because you were considering to modernise the old Purple sound into one for the nineties?

Lord : No, that was not the reason. It would be easy for me to say this, because it sounds plausible. But it wasn't the reason. It was simply the case that I looked at the songs and searched for places to fit in the organ, but there were no such places."

- Jon Lord, 1994 (Source)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    cmi and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  7. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I consider myself very well read in the world of deep purple, and this is the first time I’ve heard these claims.
    I can’t shoot it down immediately, but I find this very hard to believe

dirie, Matthew Tate and j4yheindeo like this.
  8. Eiszeit

Eiszeit Forum Resident

What does mad props mean?

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Eiszeit

Eiszeit Forum Resident

11. zen

zen Senior Member

It sounded like the Ian I've been hearing on the last three (Ezrin produced) albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Seems like an easy rumor to spread since S&M isn't very PURPLE sounding.
    Perhaps Jon's heart wasn't into it, unlike Purpendicular (Steve Morse's debut).

JulesRules and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I think I'm going to need a little more proof than that.

Matthew Tate and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. JulesRules

Read the Keyboards interview I linked to. Jon's heart was definitely not into it.
    Anyway, I don't want to drag this out further. You're not likely to get any more proof than Tony's posts. I've read many of his posts about DP, Rainbow and Status Quo, and he strikes me as direct and honest. He wouldn't make these comments on his own site or in an interview, because it's probably supposed to remain a secret.

15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

No one forced him to let the cat out of the bag on a public internet forum and, once it's out there, it's out there for good. So much for secrets. 30 years later, though, it doesn't matter anymore.

Whoever played keys on Slaves And Masters is fine by me, I love what they did.

JulesRules and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I really don’t get what’s wrong with a covers album. Half of the first Beatles first two albums were covers. Thousands of great jazz albums were covers. If the band sounds enthused or having a bit of fun, or they are cool rearrangements etc i’m all good with it.

The first two DP albums had some pretty cool covers on them.

My band did a covers album recently. Some fans were ENRAGED. I think it is a pretty cool little album, and we had enormous amounts of fun making it. It totally charged our creative batteries as a band. And we really did rearrange some of the songs beyound recognition, getting lotsa cool inspiration for our next album in the process.

What i’m trying to say is that sometimes it’s a very cool thing to do for a band. And as i said, if the band turns in an enthused performance, well i am cool with it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  17. Kim Olesen

I always liked Slaves And Masters. I have a froend who saw the tour, he said that it was excellent. And it was the only tour post Ian Gillans return where MKIII material was performed. Albeit not by Gillan who sadly wont do it.

VH3FAN, Anthrax and JulesRules like this.
  18. Mr Matchbox

Mr Matchbox Forum Resident

19. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Love Gillan but that refusal always felt a bit prima donnaish and withholding. Your job is singer for the band Deep Purple---you should be ready to sing Deep Purple songs. It's not like you were even the first singer in the band, you took a job with a band that already existed and had a body of work and continued to with or without you. You should be prepared to professionally sing Deep Purple songs for Deep Purple fans.

Oh well, not that they are lacking a couple hours of great material for him to sing, but it's a shame the band can't play some of its hottest songs which were for better or worse done with Coverdale.

VH3FAN and JulesRules like this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Maybe he considers Mk. III material to be Blackmore material (who continued to play Mistreated with Rainbow, didn't he?)? They don't do anything from the Bolin period either, do they? (Perhaps not surprising, as Paice and Lord hardly wrote any of it!) Other than Hush (a cover), what else have they performed from the Mk. I band in recent years? (It's a different situation compared to when Gillan first joined and they had to play Wring That Neck, Mandrake Root, etc. because they had yet to record In Rock, etc.)

If I were a betting man, I would wager that many fans would be perfectly happy if they only played material from In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head!

Anno, Madrid and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

the band was really on fire on that tour.
    say what you will about JLT, and whether you like his singing/voice in the context of Deep Purple is of course a major issue, BUT: he's always spot on. Never an off night.
    and to me it seems like the band worked really hard to prove they could do it without Gillan.

imo, it's a shame there's not a proper live release from the 1991 tour. with ALL the Purple live releases that are out there, surely there is room for ONE
    show by Deep Purple mk5

VH3FAN, herky10, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  22. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

to follow up on the Tony Carey debate

another deep purple forum has been digging into this, and they have been in touch with both Tony Carey, and Colin Hart (Deep Purple's tour manager/assistant/every day go to guy) and both say the claim is false.

Of course, it COULD be an attempt to cover up what has been hidden for 30 years, but again, with ALL the dirty laundry from within the camp, you'd think it would have been out in the open by now.
    a fake tony carey on a status quo board perhaps?

Claus, dirie and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

gillan has already commented on this saying they have enough material that he was involved in and its hard to get the connection you need to material you had no part it to deliver it with conviction.

24. Kim Olesen

I think i’ve read him say that it’s not that he could never bring himself to listen to those albums, since it was hurtful for him.

Matthew Tate and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  25. JulesRules

I feel bad for bringing this up now.
    He said DP going on without him was like watching his wife sleeping with another man or something. I don't get it either.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.