New Documentary On NetFlix:The Social Dilemma

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I've been out of the corporate world for 13 years now (I'm now self employed). Social media at today's level would have been a Godsend when hiring employees. I know people who actually talk about all their kids prescriptions, medical -mental issues, etc on Facebook. HR consultants now can eat all that info up (even if not from candidate themselves) and produce massive, deep dive reports on job candidates. Back in my day, the potential employee had to provide a "felony" report from a local law department. That is peanuts today. Everything one needs to know is produced before a potential candidate is even called for an interview. If I want to see which candidates would likely run our health insurance premiums higher....its on Facebook. Which candidates who would probably miss a lot of work, run late everyday.......Facebook.

Facebook is a hiring manager's best friend

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This is in my watch list, looks very interesting but I don't think I'll be too surprised by any new info.

The PBS mini-series "Hacking Your Mind" that ran last month dedicates an episode to social media and their manipulative effects on us. What makes it interesting is it also goes into the science behind it, and how they've figured out our "human nature" to purposely manipulate and exploit us. Great series.
    Hacking Your Mind | PBS

I deleted Twitter a couple of years ago when I decided it was literally ruining me. It was almost like quitting smoking at first, but now I don't miss it. Scary stuff. Facebook, sadly, I still need for work. There are also remnants of what made social media fun to start with, such as photos of my closest friends and families and their kids who live in far off places. It's a shame it turned into what it has.

dan c

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"Compete" really isn't the word anymore. They basically take all of it and leave scraps. Newspapers and other traditional media generate untold amounts of "content" for these monsters, and they reap all of the rewards for nothing.

dan c

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Watching it now. It's doing a good job of putting into words what we already knew or sensed.
    By the time we are really starting to implode, I'll be in a home, probably drooling on my shirt, hearing Jim Morrison in teh back of my brain. "all the children are insane."

5. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

The flipside to this is people are now forever branded by their digital footprint. If you were a reckless as a teenager or young adult, that shouldn't follow you for the rest of your life. A bad Tweet or Instagram photo in your youth, shouldn't prevent you from being upwardly mobile in later years.

What the documentary talks about is the pressure young people have to engage with Social Media in ways older generations would not have. They should know better, but they're still kids and don't think long term.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'm with you. About the last entity that I would care to share with any potential employer, would be from a social media account.

paulisdead likes this.
  7. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Tristan Harris was on Rogan's last podcast.

8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

People need to be educated at a young age. I do think, however, employers may see kids in college beer bonging at parties differently than kids throwing rocks busting windows during a riot. Look at these sites and you'll see plenty of people who could not get hired at a McDonald's let alone as a corporate professions. At the end of the day...."People tell you who they are.....believe them"

Leak Reality - Uncensored media footages - Leak Reality Uncensored News Media

Latest News Videos | WTF Videos | Cool Videos | Funny Videos | Vidmax

Flyheight - The Most Entertaining Video Website In The World

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.