New Doors Legacy 2 disc set question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatlelennon65, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the new Doors greatest hits? I think they release a new one every 6 months. Which one is the best? I have one from the mid 90's with the white bar on the front. I think it's just called the Doors greatest hits.

2. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

This looks tempting but I bought my last non-hi-rez Doors "hits" package. It amazes me that the record company can get away with it. If you go to their web site (Asulym/Elektra), they don't even mention it.
    I was trying to learn more about it and the carrot supposedly is "uncut" versions of some of the songs.
    I'll wait for some reviews.

Doug

3. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Disc 1 clock in at 79+ minutes and Disc 2 is 76+ minutes.
    It appears by looking at the track times that none of the songs have been edited.
    This is my first Doors cd. I've only had the vinyl of their first 3 albums.

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I take it that the Doors are putting out a new 2CD best of package to cash in on the current trend of reasonably priced 2CD anthology packages which have been doing so well. Wingspan, U2, Forty Licks, Elton John, Bowie....and now the Doors. It would be nice if they deleted some of the 1,025,909 Doors comps that are out there to avoid confusion especially for a 1st time buyer. Doubt it though. I just saw the tracklisting, it looks pretty decent, except if you have to have everything (I don't) there is 1 unreleased track of The Celebration Of The Lizard. I would hate to have to shell out just for that.

5. GregY

GregY New Member

I just picked this up. The End and Break On Through are indeed the album versions. The liner notes state this. The "She Get High" is there on Break On Through and the F--k's are there on The End.

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Interesting, there is an import 2-CD set, The Best of the Doors which has been out a couple of years. It has the same cover as the single disc The Very Best of the Doors. One wonders why they just didn't release that import here and save another comp. I recommend that import BTW.

Legacy does indeed have a studio version of Celebration of the Lizard that was unissued, but I notice that the b-side of Wishful Sinful, Who Scared You was on the import but remains absent from this Posolutely, Absitively the Best of the Doors.

I guess we need another comp to pick this up...........sigh!

Brian

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

At this point, I'd almost rather have WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE....interesting juxtaposition of songs.

ED:cool:

8. Stateless

Stateless New Member

You'll see it on CD one day. At least it is more of an artistic statement (ok maybe I'm stretching a bit) rather than the same FM staples.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I picked up the new compilation today (I'm a Doors sap :)), and I'm pleased with it overall. Tracks like "Tell All The People" and "Wishful Sinful" were pleasant surprises since they aren't on the other Elektra compilations. Although I haven't compared the new compilation to my myriad of other Doors CDs, I am pleased with the sound of the new compilation. It's easily worth the $16 I paid (Best Buy).

Ed,

I agree that Weird Scenes is a great compilation. Don't lose faith in WEA. I doubt they are done with Doors compilations. ;)

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I always wondered that had DCC survived to issue MORRISON HOTEL and SOFT PARADE, whether they would have tackled 13, The Doors's first comp.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, it was on the list along with the live album....

12. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

How is the packaging/artwork for this release? Is the sound quality as good as the "Complete Studio Recordings" boxed set?

13. KeithH

Tyler asked:

Not too bad. To my pleasant surprise, this set is in a jewel case, not a digipak. The jewel case comes in a cardboard slipcase that has a nice overhead shot of Morrison, Manzarek, Krieger, and Densmore on the cover. The back cover of the slipcase has one of the pictures from the debut album cover photo session. Of course, Morrison has no shirt on in this picture, and you only see the heads of the other three. To make ample room for this picture, the songs are listed sideways, which is a bit awkward. It's not a big deal to me since I put slipcases in a box and never refer to them.

I guess Elektra intends one to keep the jewel case in the slipcase because the front cover of the booklet says nothing. It just has a picture of The Doors walking through a garden. The back cover is neat in that it has one of the pictures taken when The Doors climbed up on their debut album billboard. The back cover of the booklet has a black-and-white picture of The Doors.

The letdown for me is the inside of the back insert, which is seen through the plastic disc tray. It has classic photos from Morrison's no-shirt photo session. I know that The Doors are often thought of as Morrison first, but I like to think of them as a great band, so I don't like to see Morrison featured like that. That's just me.

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

If Jim Morrison was alive, I think he'd be aghast about how the Doors image has been marketed. I could be wrong. How many groups can you think of that shared song credits equally?

Jim W.

15. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I was actually contemplating making my "own" version of Weird Scenes! I have fairly clean vinyl, but rather than tasking the vinyl tracks- I would use my DCC tracks and rip them. Use only the vinyl for the vinyl only pieces- I thinks its only 2 tracks that aren't on CD right?

I would use the remaster CD's for the Morrison Hotel and The Soft Parade. I gotta agree that it might sound like a jigsaw puzzle pieced together like that, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!

ED- BTW- hows rt 12 up your way??? I saw pictures of Stans Market and other pics of Rt 12 in Westmoreland and freaked! Pass right by there on my many trips to Okemo.

Chris

16. KeithH

I still haven't compared the new Doors compilation to my other discs, but I really like the sound of the new one on its own. To my ears, Botnick did a good job here. Has anyone done comparisons or run the new version through EAC?

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Chris, the two b-sides that appeared on Weird Scenes are "Who Scared You" and "(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further".

"Who Scared You" appears on CD on the 97 box set and on The Complete Studio Recordings. For whatever reason, the one on the 97 set was edited but the correct version is on Complete.

"Don't Go No Further" has only appeared on vinyl as the b-side of "Love Her Madly" and on the Weird Scenes LP. Unless there's an import disc somewhere, of course.

18. Stateless

Stateless New Member

U2 & REM come to mind.

The album photos are interesting. Quite different from the LA WOMAN cover. Wonder what JM would think. :rolleyes:

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

So how is the legendary rejected studio version of Celebration of the Lizard? The liner notes state that it is a Soft Parade outtake but Doors experts assert that it is a 2/68 outtake recorded for the 3rd LP at TTG studios. Does anyone know for sure?

Chris

20. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Well, as to how good the studio version is of COTL all depends on how much of a Doors fans you are. I am a casual fan and I loved it. My wife, on the other hand, rolled her eyes and asked if I really spent money on the disc.:laugh:

21. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I broke down and bought the new comp since it looks like the Complete long box is just going to be the same as the 1999 cube (ie. no bonus tracks).

I bought this for the studio version of The Celebration of The Lizard (17 minutes BTW). I may never listen to it again, but it is OK. The sound is fine but for the most part the band, particularly Robbie, seem disinterested. The liner notes say it was recorded 1969/70 but who knows since that is all the liner notes say.

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

My cube came with a disc of "rarities"

Hello to the Cities (The Doors) - :56
    Break on Through (To the Other Side) (Doors) - 4:32
    Roadhouse Blues (Doors) - 4:19
    Hyacinth House (Doors) - 2:40
    Who Scared You (The Doors) - 3:16
    Whiskey, Mystics and Men (The Doors) - 2:19
    I Will Never Be Untrue (Doors) - 3:56
    Moonlight Drive (Doors) - 2:31
    Queen of the Highway (Doors) - 4:47
    Someday Soon (Doors) - 3:41
    Hello, I Love You - 2:28
    Orange County Suite (The Doors) - 5:27
    The Soft Parade (Doors) - 10:03
    The End (Densmore/Krieger/Manzarek/Morrison) - 18:01
    Woman Is a Devil [*] (Doors) - 4:09

23. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I meant besides the bonus disc, which is just selections from the box set plus one song. Originally they were going to add a bunch of bonus tracks to the discs and get rid of the rarities disc, but since the "Doors" are on tour they can't be bothered to work on their catalog. The BMR releases of Vancouver, Seattle, and Pittsburgh that were supposed to come out over the past year have been shelved. Their is supposed to be a "Best of the Boots", compiled by Robbie, is supposed to come out instead but I'll beleive that when I see it.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I think that they made the right decision. Most of the disk is pretty bad IMO. I only listened to it twice. THe performances are quite sloppy and the sound on a few of the tracks gave me a headache.

25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The redesigned 'Long Box' that was supposed to replace the Complete Recordings cube was supposed to drop the Essential Rarities disc and replace it with a disc of new studio outtakes. The blurb on their website was that Botnick found a 'plethora of new outtakes'. Apparently that is now out the window and the 'long box' will be the same as the cube but with different packaging.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.