New Doors Matrix release for Record Store Day 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just have to settle for RSD 2017 and 2018 for the time being. Better than nothing.

Sean, Dan Steele and Soundslave like this.
  2. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Isn’t this just a well packaged audience recording?

Sean, Flynbryan and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

No. It's a soundboard.

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  4. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Is an Stage Recording

Sean, Soundslave and Flynbryan like this.
  5. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

How’s your prediction panning out?

Sean, rnranimal, Dan Steele and 3 others like this.
  6. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Posts #2 (by themonkboughtlunch) and #285 (by Dan Steele) are very helpful, but I haven't yet found a chart that spells out exactly which songs from which dates have been released by the Doors, and which haven't.

Is there a table somewhere that runs down each song from each gig, in order, and notes which releases included them? The rub, of course, is the duplicate songs, but I have to imagine someone's already put in the work to solve this problem. I just can't seem to find it. :kilroy:

I also ask because I'm wondering which of the recorded tracks were released during the 50-year period of copyright protection for unpublished works, since that might affect future Matrix plans. The two "jams" would seem to be at risk of having lapsed, for example.

Matthew Tate and Dan Steele like this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Doors - Live Releases

This posts answers your question. Only the jams, one of the WTMO and one of the "My Eyes..." have yet to see a major label release.

The RSD release did "protect" many of the unused tracks from the 2008 release that received retroactive permission from the Matrix tape holder sold the master tape to the Doors.

8. ostrichfarm

Thanks bunches for that! Heck, I even liked the post in question -- how embarrassing. :)

Now the question, I suppose, is whether a bold grey-market label would want to try throwing that WTMO and MEHSY on a disc and see what happens. Not enough meat on that bone to bother, I don't think.

Still, I'm surprised they didn't do a quickie release of those few omitted tracks just to protect them. And that WTMO has a "Who Scared You" proto-quote? I'd forgotten that -- must relisten!

9. SoundAdvice

I'm not aware of any PD release of anything from 2017/2018 recorded in 1967/1968. Stockholm being the most obvious but any decent 67/68 unheard live tape has potential or even a Blu-ray of all the non-commercial live tapes.

ostrichfarm and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. ostrichfarm

Frankly, I'm seeing a lot less of that than I would have expected, given my understanding of how copyright law works for unpublished material -- though I'm not sure whether the law differentiates between authorized and unauthorized recordings.

Or maybe my understanding is incorrect, though the number of quickie copyright dump releases (e.g. that Van Morrison live set) indicates that it's an issue. So why aren't the grey market folks jumping all over bands like The Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, et al.? Or are they, and I'm just not noticing?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

Maybe they can only release them in japan. Jimi/Stones/Doors have some notable unprotected work.

12. The big legacy acts have very aggressive and extensive legal teams, which isn't true for most small-time musicians and groups from the past.;) It's a lot easier releasing some random 60s act than monster sellers like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. The grey market releases from those bigger acts still get out on occasion, but are usually stopped from widespread distribution once representatives from one of those acts notice something is unauthorized.

Notice that most of the questionable Pink Floyd releases spring out of Japan - Pink Floyd's representatives mostly patrol English-speaking markets, so the Japan releases go under the radar.

13. And that’s why I love CD Japan and amazon.jp along with google Crome with auto-translation. :righton:

RockRoom likes this.
  14. ostrichfarm

Interesting. I wonder if a grey-market publisher with deep pockets (or attorneys in the family!) could win a huge settlement by deliberately provoking a lawsuit by putting out copyright-lapsed unpublished material by a band, demonstrating that they were legally entitled to publish the material in question under the 50-year rule for unpublished work, and then countersuing for lost sales, punitive damages, legal fees, etc.

By the way, I'm referring to genuinely legal stuff, not the boots on labels like Sigma and Tarantura. Then again, some of those 1966/67/68 shows are now legit to publish, pending the resolution of questions like "Are unauthorized audience tapes of live performances of officially released studio tracks considered unpublished material?" and "If a label's acquisition of material was unauthorized, does that affect their right to publish it after the 50-year rule has lapsed?" The former affects all bands, the latter certainly affects a group like Led Zeppelin who had so much stuff stolen...

Anyway, I'm in favor of any sequence of events that allows the 1967 Doors tape that can only be heard at that one library to be released! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I’ve been enjoying these for a couple years now, is everyone still holding out for the “complete” Matrix? I admire your principle and hope it eventually happens

[​IMG]

16. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I have this one and then bought some of the missing tracks from the digital re-release.

[​IMG]

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

No. I gave up on it some time ago. If they were going to do it they’d surely have done it by 2017. Even if they do it eventually I think most of us will have lost interest altogether and moved onto other artists’ far superior reissue and archive programs by then.

jay.dee, SteveM, Dan Steele and 2 others like this.
  18. No Complete Matrix. But thankfully they found the time to releases Love Her Madly t-shirt in honor of Valentine’s Day 2021. Maybe this is what we’re getting for LA Woman’s 50th.

[​IMG]

19. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

i have the 2008 T-shirt of Live at the matrix

Dan Steele and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. I bet it’s a half-shirt.

jhm, JuanTCB, ostrichfarm and 8 others like this.
  21. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

What do they gain from holding off from releasing it? Release it and if it’s a great seller, keep it in print! The fans aren’t getting any younger!

Shawn, boggs and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

The strangest thing about it is that they have previously released the material, just from inferior sources so its not like the material isnt deemed up to snuff from either a performance or sound quality point of view and then they released the two RSD records which sold well and were well received. Thise two records contain a decent amount of the material so you even satisfy the double dipping clause, I just dont see any reason why these havent been released. I wouldnt have even have minded if they kept parceling it out on RSD, but then that stopped as well a few years ago with silence since.

Shawn, Dan Steele and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. :biglaugh:

Dan Steele and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I lost my hot for the Matrix years ago, and it's all thanks to their shenanigans. At the end of the day, I've had the 4CD boot since forever and heard those performances a hundred times. They should've released the Matrix masters as soon as they got hold of them, it would've been the decent thing to do after the 2008 bs. But The Doors don't do decent, and it's what's stopped me being a Doors completist.

If they ever go ahead and release the complete masters they'll be all over the web if I feel like listening. If they don't I'm not sweating it at all, I just don't think about this stuff anymore. They can keep them, as far as I'm concerned.

25. This, this, this and this! Yes, just look at Dylan and Joni Mitchell's reissue programs alone in comparison. It's true The Doors don't have a lot of releasable quality material but even when they have something as viable as the complete Matrix their efforts are quite shameful.

Thats my feeling now totally. Jampol could hand deliver the complete Matrix to my door and it would go straight into my charity pile these days. Its too late for me to care now. I'm happily buried in fantastic archival releases from Dylan and other artists now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.