New Doors Matrix release for Record Store Day 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I know the moderators have a tough job, and I apologize if any of my posts in particular went too far. However, I also hope you (and our forum host) realize that fan frustration is off the charts for the way these recordings are being handled. It's pretty unprecedented. Venting is one of the few ways we can express our dissatisfaction.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

I want to commend Resonance Records. They just announced today they are releasing 5 LPs of live, complete Grant Green performances for Record Store Day 2018. Details==>> here. This is how an archival live Record Store Day release should be done!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

See also the recent Zappa Roxy set or the Velvet Underground Matrix set. Honestly, this isn't rocket science. . .
    This is not the Doors Matrix Releases Happy-Time Appreciation Thread and you're not a moderator here. Please feel free to explain to us why you think that the release strategy for these performances is a win for Doors fans.

4. Write your congressman or Doors.com :tiphat:

5. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Took a listen to the original sampler posted on YouTube that was submitted by Abrams to The Doors management and the sound quality is absolutely amazing. Have yet to pick up any of the 50th Anniversary sets although they are on my hit list, but can anyone here confirm they sound as good as those? Are they straight transfers of the master tape? How heavily were they tweaked by Bruce Botnick for that 50th set? I would obviously love a straight dub of the master tapes as they sound great in their original form.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Not intentionally trying to be a ray of sunshine, but I bought and liked the RSD release from last year. After listening to the poor quality cd several times I welcomed the LP because the material deserved better. Of course I would also prefer a complete box but will take what I can get. For this LP I’ll be happy with When the Music’s Over, Summertime and Moonlight Drive. I like this version of WTMO because Manzarek’s opening is so tentative, like he was playing it for the first time. Summertime is probably my favorite jazz standard and Manzarek is fantastic on this.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Tips for keeping the thread alive.
    1. Share your opinion on the release
    2. Share your opinions on other's assessment of the release
    3. Do not personally insult people who do not share your opinion ... or anyone else, for that matter
    4. Do not feel compelled to repeat your exact same opinion any time someone disagrees with you. Unless you have new observations, your prior comments are still there for all to read.
    5. If you suspect someone is trolling, report their post rather than responding to it. (Compelling you to respond is how the trolls win)
    Thanks!

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The 50th anniversary set Matrix tracks do not sound nearly as good as the unprocessed samples, unfortunately. The processing on the 50th is so apparent that I actually prefer one of the boots I've heard (I think it's said to be 2nd gen). "The End" is the worst offender on the 50th. NR applied to only some sections and the hiss can be heard being turned off and on.

9. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Going off all of these reports over the years, it is why I have stopped myself from ordering the Matrix in any configuration. Maybe "someday soon" ...

10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Reached for a John Fahey disc today and remembered that he even has a full recording from The Matrix 1968.

monkboughtlunch likes this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

[​IMG]

12. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Is there a track list yet? The cover states 7th and 10th. Wondering why they would mix the dates. Last years release was the 7th.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Uh Oh. First generation? Is that the same as Master tapes or am I wrong about that?

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No clue now. I'm confused. The 2008 was advertised as 1st generation, but was not. Then they said they bought the master tapes, so we assumed any following releases would be from master tapes. Now they're saying 1st gen again. Did the 50th or last year's LP mention source?

Matthew Tate and asdf35 like this.
  15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Tomorrow is the 51st Anniversary of the March 7th set.

16. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Uh Oh. Just pulled out last years release,it states”Newly mastered by Bruce Botnick from recently discovered,original master tapes”. I am confused!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Last years release had 10,000 copies.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION offers a rare opportunity to hear the band on the verge of superstardom with live performances recorded during a March 7, 1967 show at the Matrix in San Francisco. The Matrix recordings heard on this deluxe edition were sourced from the recently discovered, original tapes, previously thought to be lost. The Matrix recordings originally released in 2008 were from a third-generation source, so the sound quality of the versions debuting here is second to none.

jay.dee, Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  19. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Funny,my RSD release states “original master tapes” I have No idea what is going on!

Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

This is strange.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Still No track list?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

It's like the marketing team changes with every release and have no idea of the history of these tapes.

Erik B., Matthew Tate, Buda and 2 others like this.
  23. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I have the track list. Since were trying to be civil. I’ll share it. One sec.

24. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Side A

1. Unhappy Girl (March 7, 1967 Show 2)
    2. Moonlight Drive (March 7, 1967 Show 2)
    3. People Are Strange (March 7, 1967 Show 2)
    4. My Eyes Have Seen You (March 10, 1967 Show 1)
    5. Summer¹s Almost Gone (March 10, 1967 Show 2)

Side B

1. I Can¹t See Your Face In My Mind (March 7, 1967 Show 1)
    2. When The Music¹s Over (March 10, 1967 Show 2)
    3. Let¹s Feed Ice Cream To The Rats :: The End [Partial Tape Runs Out]
    (March 10, 1967 Show 2)

You’re Welcome.

25. murch

murch Forum Resident

Listening to the singles collection tonight - that's the right way to release a set. The bonus quad mix is sublime.

PBo, Pats Radio, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.